BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gillig really for sale?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DE60LF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Gillig really for sale? Reply with quote

We talked about this earlier, and I decided to bring the discussion here.

There have been rumors flying around about Gillig's owners preparing to sell the company. As we know, Gillig is a family-owned business. If Gillig is really for sale, could there be a potential buyer? If Gillig is bought out by New Flyer, Orion/Daimler, or NABI/Cerberus, then there will be several legal hurdles to get around. However, what if Gillig is sold to an overseas manufacturer, such as Van Hool or Neoplan/MAN? There probably won't be much legal hurdles in that case.

Here are my thoughts if Gillig is bought out by New Flyer, Orion, or NABI

If I would choose who would buy out Gillig, I would probably say that New Flyer is the best fit for them. Both New Flyer and Gillig use the same drivetrain in their hybrids, and since New Flyer offers artics, this could give smaller transit authorities more options, as Gillig is a company who primarily serves the smaller TAs. New Flyer also offers CNG and LNG buses, while Gillig offers the Trolley replica.
Mr. Transit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gillig is up for sale, but they may not necessarily sell it. I heard from a friend of mine, who works in the transit bus industry, that Gillig may take the company off the market if it doesn't receive fair market offers.
DE60LF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Transit wrote:
Gillig is up for sale, but they may not necessarily sell it. I heard from a friend of mine, who works in the transit bus industry, that Gillig may take the company off the market if it doesn't receive fair market offers.

That sounds like a bad idea. In 2006, Gillig was the #2 bus manufacturer in North America, behind New Flyer. There are quite a few loyal Gillig customers out there. Gillig still has a big order backlog; I hope they know what they are doing.

Either way, Gillig will need to find some buyer. As I stated earlier, if any manufacturer from North America is willing to buy Gillig, New Flyer would be the best option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: