BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is your favorite bus manufacturer in North America?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is your favorite bus manufacturer in North America?
New Flyer
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Gillig
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Orion
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
NABI
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Nova Bus
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
ElDorado
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Millennium
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Blue Bird
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Optima
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (specify)
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 29

timecruncher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm. Here's one of the Las Vegas NABI units at the APTA Expo last year.

I'll be durned! That is a low floor. Still pretty strange-looking from the front, like NJT's highfloor NABI units. I do like the flush-window treatment. Our Gilligs have been set up that way since 2007. It helps the appearance greatly, and keeps people from hanging out of the sliding-sash windows on hot days!

Striking color scheme that would only work out there in the bright sunlight of southern Nevada, eh?

timecruncher

Last edited by timecruncher on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

novabuslfsafan wrote:
Crown Coach Corporation did NOT really built great school buses,I hate all Crown buses, they were ugly buses ever built, I'm gald There out of business. there buses were unsafe.

Not sure where you're getting your safety data, because while the merits of their looks may be subjective, I've never heard any accusation that Crown buses weren't safe. In fact, Crown went out of business due to low demand, mostly because buses they had built decades earlier were so well-built (and met 1990s safety and emission standards!) that no one was ordering new buses to replace them.
novabuslfsafan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
novabuslfsafan wrote:
Crown Coach Corporation did NOT really built great school buses,I hate all Crown buses, they were ugly buses ever built, I'm gald There out of business. there buses were unsafe.

Not sure where you're getting your safety data, because while the merits of their looks may be subjective, I've never heard any accusation that Crown buses weren't safe. In fact, Crown went out of business due to low demand, mostly because buses they had built decades earlier were so well-built (and met 1990s safety and emission standards!) that no one was ordering new buses to replace them.

I know. But the ride was unconformable. Good riddance to Crown corpration.
Since 1991 that company is dead and will be forever. *evil laughs* LOL
Lothian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting off topic, but seeing that APTA demo photo above prompts the question... what went on in Orlando at APTA 2009 and have any photos been made public? Were there any demo buses like in previous years? I haven't heard or seen anything from it this far.
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The APTA annual meeting is, well, annual. The Expo occurs only every third year. The next Expo will be in N'awlins in 2011. It will still be held in October, and I will attend as usual.

Pretty much anyone in the industry can attend the Expo -- it is free, but you do have to register ahead of time and get credentials. There are bus enthusiasts there (you can tell them pretty readily from the transit management/admin types!), and there are lots and lots of vendors in attendance, showing their newest and greatest.

There's even stuff for timecrunchers such as the latest and um, greatest from the Trapeze Software and Giro/Hastus Software people who cater to us nerds in the industry.

timecruncher
[i]I didn't mess up your run. The computer did it![i/]
Lothian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timecruncher wrote:
The APTA annual meeting is, well, annual. The Expo occurs only every third year. The next Expo will be in N'awlins in 2011. It will still be held in October, and I will attend as usual.

Pretty much anyone in the industry can attend the Expo -- it is free, but you do have to register ahead of time and get credentials. There are bus enthusiasts there (you can tell them pretty readily from the transit management/admin types!), and there are lots and lots of vendors in attendance, showing their newest and greatest.

There's even stuff for timecrunchers such as the latest and um, greatest from the Trapeze Software and Giro/Hastus Software people who cater to us nerds in the industry.

timecruncher
[i]I didn't mess up your run. The computer did it![i/]

Oh I see. I wrongly assumed that like CUTA, APTA had an Expo every year. It totally makes sense, I have seen photos from APTA Expos 2008 and 2005. Thanks for clearing that up!
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusCon is every year.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

novabuslfsafan wrote:

Not quite... Carpenter bought the rights and built Crowns until 1999. But yes, they're gone for now.
novabuslfsafan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
novabuslfsafan wrote:

Not quite... Carpenter bought the rights and built Crowns until 1999. But yes, they're gone for now.

actually there gone forever. No more those fugly unsafe crown buses.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, Carpenter still owns the rights and tooling, so no, they're not "gone forever." Another company called West Coach International, started by former Crown employees, is still making parts for Crown buses.
gmnewlook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After going to Trans-Expo 2009 here in Monteral on Tuesday and seeing the New Flyer Xcelsior demo, my vote goes to New Flyer. And my favorite model built in the 21st century is the Xcelsior. Of course, my all-time favorite is, of course, the GMC New Look. Smile
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote a tie between two not on there, the out of business Crowns, and I don't care what ANYONE says, no one has repriduced them [more below and in Ript42's reply] and GMC

[quote="novabuslfsafan"]
daimlerbuses wrote:

?????????????????

As Ripta42 says, Crowns were and are THE bus to have. The company even did most of the bus, except the drivetrains, themselves. The shell [by Crown] and the skeleton [also by Crown] made them SAFE. Take it from one who has been in many of them.[I won't comment on your spelling.Smile] The safety has kept them alive forever and that is the reason no one ordered them and thus why Crown retired.

I don't like that sinister look in your eyes, novabuslfasfan, regarding your socalled "victory" over Crown! Smile LOL

Yes, to the succeeding posts, Carpenter DOES own them, but do they make the same design?Smile No,,,[but again, we've dicussed why Crown themselves stopped making them. Given Gillig's love for making knock off of Crowns many years ago, ironic that they didn't come back do more, by BUYING crown.

Incidentally, here's a bus company family site.
http://crowncoach.info/

Last edited by Steve Carras on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the old Crowns of the Los Angeles Unified School District (and they had loads of them).

What I miss most were the GM either 4-71 or 6-71 (I'm not sure on that point) Diesels with mechanical transmissions.

If I'd see one on the street, I'd try to get up as close as possible at a light so that I could here the roar of the engine in acceleration and the RPM drop downs between shifts - that was music to my ears!

Personally, I think they were a pretty solid bus, and their years of service in L.A. goes to prove that!

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only

Mr. Linsky - GREEN BUS LINES, Inc., Jamaica, NY

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr "L" -

Concur. The charm of the CROWN being it flourished in the by gone era when California deemed The Promised Land. It was plain to anyone who looked,
the coaches addressed some quite high demands and standards of the State School Districts. The design worked with the realities the coaches needed
to run on a lot more than best of freeway engineered roads, too...

Compared with coaches routinely used in other areas of the Nation, realizing what the CROWN was could be a mind altering experience...

Note GILLIG bought the earlier KENWORTH line. Perhaps to buy the "corporate culture" of how to build sturdy, solid coaches, too?

..................Vern................
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.L and Hwy, I could not concur more. Fortunately, Maybe Mr.L hasn;t bene in LA, becuase those buses ARE still there, and yes the acceleration, and engine drops in rpm in conjunction with manual gear shifting was music to MY ears, TOO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: