BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brand loyalty in today's transit age

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DE60LF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Brand loyalty in today's transit age Reply with quote

With my recent discussion about Disney Transport, I have been wondering, how many transit authorities today are loyal to only one manufacturer? I know there were a lot more in the past than there are today. However, they still exist. One of the most notable examples is AC Transit, who is 100% loyal to Van Hool.

For ABQ RIDE, except for a small order from Grumman in the 1970s, ABQ RIDE was a loyal GMC/TMC customer for some time since the 1960s up to 1996. This loyalty ended when the Neoplans were delievered in 1996. I have heard that ABQ RIDE did consider ordering 20 Nova RTS buses in 2000, but abruptly cancelled those orders. The Thomases were delivered a year later.

Since 2004, all of ABQ RIDE's orders have been from New Flyer. However, I still wouldn't say they are 100% loyal, as ABQ RIDE did consider ordering Gilligs prior to the purchase of the DE40LFRs. They even received a demo from Gillig, but drivers said that their instrument panel was too confusing.

Still, I wouldn't rule out if ABQ RIDE orders Gillig buses in the future, perhaps when ABQ RIDE starts to retire the Neoplans and/or Thomases. With NovaBus re-entering the U.S. market, that could give ABQ RIDE a third option for diesel-electric hybrid buses, as Nova uses the same Allison hybrid technology that is used by New Flyer and Gillig. As for Orion, they use a different hybrid drivetrain, so I would be suprised if ABQ RIDE orders Orion VII NG HEVs. NABI now also offers a diesel-electric hybrid option on their buses, with Citizens Area Transit of Las Vegas being the launch customer.

It also seems like NYCT/MTA is 100% loyal to Orion, however, they have demoed buses from other manufacturers and still do today.
RTS_04

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMART in Metro Detroit used to be more-or-less an all-RTS fleet (buying 03s, 04s, 06s, 07s and 08s), but is now 100% Gillig Advantage, with the exception of the various cutaways used for shuttle and paratransit runs.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTS_04 wrote:
SMART in Metro Detroit used to be more-or-less an all-RTS fleet (buying 03s, 04s, 06s, 07s and 08s), but is now 100% Gillig Advantage, with the exception of the various cutaways used for shuttle and paratransit runs.

Does SMART still operate shorter buses on the Pontiac routes? There was a photo of a 30-foot Phantom in the Motor Coach Age article a few years back.
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Angeles is definitely a loyal NABI customer. They've got more than 1,000 NABI buses and plan to order hundreds more.
RTS_04

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
RTS_04 wrote:

Does SMART still operate shorter buses on the Pontiac routes? There was a photo of a 30-foot Phantom in the Motor Coach Age article a few years back.

Yep, although the 30' Phantoms were replaced in favor of 30' Advantages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: