BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current market shares of the "big four" bus makers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DE60LF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Current market shares of the "big four" bus makers Reply with quote

Does anyone know what are the current market shares for the "big four" bus manufacturers (New Flyer, Gillig, Orion, NABI)? I remember that New Flyer ranked first, Gillig second, Orion third, and NABI fourth. However, in 2007, both New Flyer and Orion both recieved a large number of orders. Not sure about Gillig. Does anyone have data on their market shares? Has Orion pulled ahead of Gillig for 2007?
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DE60LF,

I'm not sure on statistics but I think that NABI seems to be giving the rest of them a run for their money.

Los Angeles alone is investing heavily in the 60 BRT's (see below) although I don't know how long that will last because there are problems that they're having difficulty resolving with NABI.

Picture borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess (based on recent trends and previous years):

1. New Flyer
2. Gillig
3. Orion
4. NABI
DE60LF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
DE60LF,

I'm not sure on statistics but I think that NABI seems to be giving the rest of them a run for their money.

Los Angeles alone is investing heavily in the 60 BRT's (see below) although I don't know how long that will last because there are problems that they're having difficulty resolving with NABI.

Picture borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Well, King County Metro Transit in Seattle is ordering 500 New Flyer buses, and the NYC MTA (both NYCT and MTA Bus) is ordering 850 Orion VII NG HEVs.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that NABI is outselling everyone else, but it seems as though they're turning up in a lot of places!

As far as I'm concerned, and from what I hear, they can't hold a candle to either New Flyer or Orion - both of which have pretty good track records.

You can be ceratin that in the final analysis only the best will survive as happened a generation ago with GM!

I'll tell you one thing; if the Los Angeles NABI's turn out to be a disaster that will be millions of dollars down the drain! - I hope they know what they're doing!

Mr.Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
DE60LF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
I'm not saying that NABI is outselling everyone else, but it seems as though they're turning up in a lot of places!

As far as I'm concerned, and from what I hear, they can't hold a candle to either New Flyer or Orion - both of which have pretty good track records.

You can be ceratin that in the final analysis only the best will survive as happened a generation ago with GM!

I'll tell you one thing; if the Los Angeles NABI's turn out to be a disaster that will be millions of dollars down the drain! - I hope they know what they're doing!

Mr.Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Since New Flyer isn't willing to produce a CNG articulated bus, NABI is basically the only option. Neoplan USA did produce CNG artics as well, but they ceased operations in 2006. Appearently, if the NABI 60-BRTs turn out to be a disaster, LACMTA will have to look for CNG articulated buses from Europe, such as the Van Hool AG300 CNG. Buses from European manufacturers such as Van Hool do not satisfy the requirements of the Buy America Act, and thus LACMTA will not be able to get federal funding for those buses.
AZNABIman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
DE60LF,

What kinds of problems is LA having with their NABI artics? I know that Chicago had numerous suspension problems with their NABI artics. I am not aware of the problems that Valley Metro (Phoenix) is having with their NABI artics (although there are only 10 of them). I do know that Valley Metro's most recent order for "BRT Style" artics went to New Flyer for the D60LFA (D60LF-BRT) model.
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of any problems the LA Metro was having with the 60-BRTs, as they've ordered hundreds of them and intend to purchase further ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: