BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTA bus is wonderful
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bus317 wrote:
Green always sucked. When I was a kid, I would walk from Kew Gardens train station to Jam. Ave. before a Q10 would pass me.

bus317,

While I have every reason to believe what you're saying, things have sure changed since I drove Q10.

Daytime headways were never more than ten minutes with evenings at 15 and a night car every half hour! (and that was religious because it was one of Mr. Cooper's pet lines!).

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
upperharlemline4ever

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShortlineMCI,

Greyhound is owned by FirstGroup, plc and CoachUSA is owned by StagecoachGroup, plc. They are two competing transportation operators in Great Britain.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upperharlemline4ever wrote:
ShortlineMCI,

Greyhound is owned by FirstGroup, plc and CoachUSA is owned by StagecoachGroup, plc. They are two competing transportation operators in Great Britain.

And just how long do you think it's going to take before one eats the other up?

These are investment capitalists with billions at their fingertips! It should be very interesting to watch!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
JA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both trying to shrink to a profitable core to ride out the oil shock that is coming. I doubt either will get involved with each other. The other's operations are just too big to swallow at this time.

I know some of the management over at Monroe and Monsey. Their operations are a reflection of the specialized transportation that their communities need. I think that Coach USA is decent at Shortline, but I think they would have to learn about the Orthodox market before getting involved.
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upperharlemline4ever wrote:
ShortlineMCI,

Actually upperharlem, Stagecoach group's main headquarters are located in Scotland, which runs ferries, trains and buses too. Started taking over in California, working their way east, and Canada. Ever see "COACH CANADA" ?

If I may go out on a limb here, if Coach took over the MTA like they did Shortline, Olympia, Community, Suburban, Red and Tan (Rockland Coaches) I believe each garage here in the five boroughs still would have been operating independently , just as the above mentioned Depots operate independently. EX..Shortline has nothing to do with Community Coach.

If a passenger tries to give me a Red and Tan ticket (which they do all the time) I must refuse the ticket because Red and Tan has their own Accounting department.

Ken
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JA wrote:
I know some of the management over at Monroe and Monsey. Their operations are a reflection of the specialized transportation that their communities need. I think that Coach USA is decent at Shortline, but I think they would have to learn about the Orthodox market before getting involved.

I don't think they would care much about this type of market, even as specialized as it is But I still believe that if Coach USA took them (Monroe and Monsey) I don't think much would have changed.

But on the same token, since all those companies are under the Coach USA umbrella, if the headquarters in Scotland sees one of these companies are not profitable, that foundering garage would be shut down and the drivers, and the buses would just be farmed out to the remaining garages with a simple "sign right here on the dotted line."

Scary to think just how simple that would be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: