BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Official Hidden Buses on TV Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: The Official Hidden Buses on TV Thread Reply with quote

I'm starting this thread so that the Movie Thread doesn't veer off-topic and so that it doesn't get long.

1 - Sex In The City The opening scene shows Sarah Jessica Parkder being splashed by an RTS, while her ad is on the side of the bus. This bus was rental from Picturecars.com and has been used in Law & Order. Also in the opening scene when a cab is rasing down Fifth Avenue there is an Eagle bus about one block ahead
RailBus63

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Moved from the other thread)

"Spenser: For Hire" TV series (1985) - the opening sequence in the later seasons showed a then-new MBTA RTS bus as well as a Red Line train. The bus was operating on historic Charles Street in Boston, which was obviously chosen for looks since no MBTA bus route has operated on this street for years.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just watching a rerun (what else?) of Hawaii Five 0 and caught just the rear edge of a Mack in what appeared to be a medium gray color.

According to my records loads of Macks both pre and post war went to Honolulu and this one was probably a C-47-DT although I'll have to verify that fact.

BTW; Danno did 'book em'!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Newkirk Plaza David

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One television show worth owning on DVD. There is nothing like television in the 60's/early 70's, and shows like H5O and Mission Impossible had not only class but intelligence.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newkirk Plaza David,

I'm in agreement with you on (here's where I show off! - just learned this) Mission Impossible and I remember every episode like it was yesterday!

When you think about it the whole thing is a well orchestrated con game (and I love a con game).

One thing though that always irked me about the show was the use of 60's era black Checker cabs as foreign cars although once in a while they would summon up a genuine Mercedes 600 that a friend of mine had owned.

Good recommendation - keep them coming!

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This past weekend NBC ran a special with many of the fake commercials done by the casts of Saturday Night Live. In one skit, the late Gilda Radner is sitting at a bar and sprays some perfume on herself. A guy comes over and they leave for either his place or a hotel. The next scene shows Gilda leaving the building and getting into a taxi. Directly in front of the taxi is either a NYCTA or MaBSTOA fishbowl in the all blue livery. It didn't have A/C and I couldn't catch the unit # since the lower part of the bus was obscured by the cab.

The punchline was "Buy (name of scent) for those times when you want to love them and leave them".
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Hawaii Five O again yesterday afternoon (a perc for us retirees!) and the scenes were filled with 'New Look' Flxibles and GM's.

All were in yellow up to the window belts with white roofs.

I think I've seen every one of the 438 episodes at least twice but they're still interesting and I'm ever watchful for different buses.

Newkirk Plaza David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Watching Hawaii Five O again yesterday afternoon (a perc for us retirees!) and the scenes were filled with 'New Look' Flxibles and GM's.

All were in yellow up to the window belts with white roofs.

I think I've seen every one of the 438 episodes at least twice but they're still interesting and I'm ever watchful for different buses.

Season 1 was released on DVD in November, 2007. I cannot fathom being without this and Kojak as the great procedural police dramas of all time (well maybe I should include Adam-12 but it's been a loooong time since I saw that show when I was a kid.)

While on a computer in Chinatown, I saw one Season 1 episode of Kojak. Even after nearly 35 years since this show debuted on CBS, the detail of the police work Lt. Kojak and his squad detectives do is raw and compelling for a NYC show. Nope, didn;t see any buses yet.

Yea, book 'em Danno

RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eli Stone (Thursday nights on ABC) is set in San Francisco, but the February 7th episode showed a Los Angeles MTA Metro Local bus in one scene and several Foothills Transit buses in another.

Also, The Apprentice is always good for a NYCT bus or two each week.
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Seinfeld episode "The Comeback", there are three Command MCI Classics and one GMC RTS parked on the street outside the tennis club.

There are also shots of older NYCTA GMC RTSs, as well as Liberty Lines MCI Classics, in other episodes.
ralph kramden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever saw the movie "The Laughing Policeman" staring Walter Matthau? This movie shows incredible inside (some outside) shots of San Fransisco's Mack's. The actual crime takes place on the bus. This movie even shows the ONLY shot of the driver's compartment.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw an interesting TV commercial this P.M. by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company using a 'Big Blue Bus' (Santa Monica Municipal) GMD Classic.

Much of the bus was not shown except for a very clear side view of the front, a side view of the rear and the rear end itself.

The rear end side view featured the very large U S letters which are the last two letters in the word 'bus'.

The medium blue color was unmistakably Santa Monica.

Santa Monica has been known to lend their buses for such productions, but this could well have been an excellent job by Scot Richards (Regional Transit).

BTW; in that the company has insured my homes and cars for the last forty years, I would say that I paid for some part of their commercial!

MOVIEBUSES

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: SMMBL 5210-LIBERTY MUTAUL COMMERCIAL Reply with quote

The bus used in the commercial WAS a 1989 Classic from SMMBL. This bus has been used for namy shoots including a trailer in the theaters for Movietickets.com and some music videos. This was the last shoot for this bus and it was driven to scrap after the shoot for electrical problems and other difficulties. This was a regular bus at Raging Waters for shuttles for 3 years.

I have alot of pictures and videos from the Liberty Mutaul commercial but dont know how to post them here. If someone would like to post them, I will email them to you and then you can post them.

This was a fun shoot with ALOT, and I mean ALOT of fake rain

www.rts-regionaltransitservice.com
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

You can create a Gallery account and upload the photos there, or I can pull them from your GMFishbowl Yahoo group posts. I have a dedicated category for movie buses; I'd love to add some RTS shoots in there!
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos from the Liberty Mutual shoot have been added to the Movie Buses gallery. More to come!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Buses in Pop Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: