BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vintage buses (and trains) to run in December
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> MTA News, Current Events & Happenings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Vintage buses (and trains) to run in December Reply with quote

Looks like this isn't just a rumor: NYCTA will be running vintage trains and buses on Sundays in December.

City, MTA unveil holiday travel plan
by Patrick Arden
Metro New York, 11/16/07

LOWER MANHATTAN. City transit officials and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority are taking aim at holiday traffic gridlock, unveiling a plan Thursday to increase weekend subway service, curb roadway construction and encourage the use of mass transit on nine days during the busy season.

To make room for crowds attending the Thanksgiving Day Parade, NYC Transit will increase service on the 1 and the 42nd Street Shuttle. Trains will also be added to the E, F, Q, 1, 3, 4 and 6 lines on weekends between Dec. 8 and 23. Weekend subway construction will also be cut back.

Now through Jan. 2, non-emergency construction work on streets and sidewalks will be restricted to between midnight and 6 a.m. at 179 locations across the five boroughs.

“You’ll find that more than half of current construction work will be curtailed,” said Michael Primeggia, deputy commissioner at the city’s Department of Transportation.

“Gridlock Alert Days” were singled out, when it makes particular sense to use mass transit: Nov. 16, 21 and 28 and Dec. 7, 13, 14, 19, 20 and 21.

City DOT Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan also pointed to recent, non-holiday initiatives that should make traveling easier. For bus riders and carpoolers, she noted the new high-occupancy vehicle lane on the Manhattan Bridge. She said DOT and NYC Transit are teaming up to paint red dedicated bus lanes on 57th Street in Manhattan and Fordham Road in the Bronx.

As an added incentive to use mass transit during the holidays, MetroCard holders can get discounts to special events, such as the Big Apple Circus and the Holiday Train Show at the New York Botanical Garden. For details, go to www.mta.info.

Vintage trains and buses will run on some routes Sundays in December. The specifics will be announced shortly, said NYC Transit President Howard Roberts.
The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I were in NYC so I could snap a shot of all those buses, but I live in Kansas City now Sad
bus317

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone I'm new here and I was going to post some pics. of 2151 getting ready to hit the road, but all I know about PC s is cut and paste, so you will see them on the road before I figure this out. I know the article said they will roll on Sundays, but they have gone out on weekdays too. If I find out a schedule of when and where the buses will roll, I'll let you know.
bus317

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2151 hasn't gone out since that one Fri. They are putting a new farebox in it, so I guess they will charge to ride after all. They will be sending it out soon, for a few hours a day to test it, then it will go out about Dec.10 on crosstown lines.
The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for pictures! Very Happy
RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the vintage train having run this weekend, any news about the vintage buses?

Last edited by RailBus63 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
bus317

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will start running next week Sun. or Mon. on 34 St. & 42 St.
Newkirk Plaza David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip.

34th (M16/34) and 42nd Streets (M42) seem like easy places to walk around and catch one.
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While riding the B9 I saw an ad which said that vintage buses will be running on the M34,42 and 50 from December 10th to December 28th.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nycbusfan wrote:
While riding the B9 I saw an ad which said that vintage buses will be running on the M34,42 and 50 from December 10th to December 28th.

Weekdays only, or weekends too?
MarkW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekdays only.
bus317

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it will go out on Mon. it's been on the lift for at least 3 weeks. I hear they don't have the parts they need.
bus317

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2124 is being towed out of JG tomorrow. Where I don't know yet.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's 7340 stopped at West 34th Street & Seventh Avenue on the M34 this morning, taken by Maria Dondero and contributed by Charles Fiori (15 BEECHHURST):

Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pix!
Just add the two-toned blue M decals and the red & blue front destination sign and you'd be back in the '70's!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> MTA News, Current Events & Happenings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: