BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Idea for the New York Transit Museum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Bus Preservation, Conversion, & Sales
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TransitGuy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: An Idea for the New York Transit Museum Reply with quote

Hello everyone I am sure you have all heard this in BTN II but I may as well repeat it. I had an idea for the NYTM basically expanding. Well here it is. The NYTM can either do the following:

1) Buy a vacant lot and build a structure to house buses.

Or The one that I really like

2) Use a defunct bus depot or storage area that will basically house the museum fleet. Here, the buses can be maintained and even run on fan trips. The museum can basically have a ton of exhibits relating to buses, its history and many more. This depot can be known as the NYTM Bus Depot. The depot can basically house more buses and artifacts relating to buses and promote the preservation of more buses. What do you think?
1988 MCI TC40-102A

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. NYTM NEEDS a frickin designated bus garage, so good ideas you have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TransitGuy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1988 MCI TC40-102A wrote:
I like it. NYTM NEEDS a frickin designated bus garage, so good ideas you have.

Thanks, I have been sending the MTA emails but that hasn't made much progress and I mean I do really want them to look into this a lot since there are a ton of buses in ECH that have potential to be saved. I really wanted MTA Bus 5887 (the final classic to run) to be preserved but it unfortunately seems less likely. I just hope that somehow the NYTM can preserve more buses.
MarkW

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was the last time you were at ECH? Half the buses that were there last week are already gone. More to follow. Nimco's lot must be bursting at the seams!
TransitGuy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkW wrote:
When was the last time you were at ECH? Half the buses that were there last week are already gone. More to follow. Nimco's lot must be bursting at the seams!

Shocked Oh man this sucks. Does anyone know if they will immediately shred them or will they try selling them? Thanks
MarkW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIMCO will sell anything if you have a hand full of cash. They usually mark them up and triple the cost. 6 grand is too much for a Classic. CT transit is selling theirs for around a thousand each.
1988 MCI TC40-102A

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Then how much do you think they will sell a ex-LLE Classic for? Are you saying they will probably sell em for less than 6G a bus?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1988 MCI TC40-102A wrote:
Really? Then how much do you think they will sell a ex-LLE Classic for? Are you saying they will probably sell em for less than 6G a bus?

No what he's saying is Nimco charges 3 times what they pay for the bus. 6 Grand for a MCI Classic when CT Transit is selling them for around 1 thousand.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: An Idea for the New York Transit Museum Reply with quote

TransitGuy wrote:
Hello everyone I am sure you have all heard this in BTN II but I may as well repeat it. I had an idea for the NYTM basically expanding. Well here it is. The NYTM can either do the following:

1) Buy a vacant lot and build a structure to house buses.

Or The one that I really like

2) Use a defunct bus depot or storage area that will basically house the museum fleet. Here, the buses can be maintained and even run on fan trips. The museum can basically have a ton of exhibits relating to buses, its history and many more. This depot can be known as the NYTM Bus Depot. The depot can basically house more buses and artifacts relating to buses and promote the preservation of more buses. What do you think?

The problem with either of those is that real estate is expensive, especially in the New York metro area. It isn't like an abandoned subway station like Court Street, where there really isn't much else you can do with it. A defunct bus garage isn't going to remain a defunct bus garage for long; it's going to be torn down and replaced with stores or much-needed housing. Erecting a historic bus garage in a new location presents its own set of problems - Is it zoned for bus storage? Do the neighbors approve of a new bus maintenance facility, especially one that houses old "dirty" buses? And if this the MTA building the facility, is it economically feasible to spend money on a museum facility when there's such an operating deficit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Bus Preservation, Conversion, & Sales All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: