BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best bus spotting places?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmnewlook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Best bus spotting places? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are thinking about going either to Boston, New York or Washington for a weekend getaway before the baby is born.

Boston is a 5½ hour drive from Montreal, New York is 6½ hours away and Washington is almost 10 hours away by car.

What I wanted to know is where are the best bus spotting places in each of the three cities. What I'm looking for is multi-network hubs (i.e.: WMATA, Ride-On, or most of the MTA bus divisions like LI bus or similar possibilities in Beantown). Also, is there still fishbowls in service, and where can I find them? In NYC, is the bus museum worth going at this time of year? When is the next Bus Fest?

Also, do I need authorisation to take bus photos at transit centers, terminuses, subway stations? I know that on the sidewalk, everything can be taken on photo. I bring a bus photo album to show drivers and transit employees to show them how serious my hobby is. I then ask permission to take pictures.

That about sums it all up, if I have any questions, I'll make sure to post them.

Thank you!

Martin Cirino
President
Club des Amateurs d'autobus du Québec
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston has a number of transit centers and bus terminals that are of interest. -- I'd recommend:

Quincy Center station
Ruggles station
Dudley station
Malden Center station
Forest Hills station
JFK/UMass station
and Ashmont station, as well as various streets in the downtown core.

Unfortunately the MBTA can be a bit hostile towards busfans, but you probably won't be bothered.

For New York I'd recommend:

downtown Jamaica (the area around Sutphin/Archer and Parsons/Archer subway stations),

Flushing (the area around Flushing/Main Street subway station),

Pelham Bay Park subway station,

242nd Street/Van Cortlandt Park subway station,

Fordham Plaza (accessible via Metro-North and numerous Bronx buses)

and downtown Brooklyn (accessible via the Jay Street/Borough Hall and Court Street/Borough Hall subway stations.)

Also, many places in midtown and downtown Manhattan, especially Madison Square and Herald Square, are excellent. You probably won't be bothered for photography in New York, but you occasionally have your irritated driver.

Washington I'm not that familiar with, though.

There are no fishbowls in service in either New York, Boston, or Washington. Had you come to New York two years earlier you could have witnessed the New York Bus Service fishbowls' last weeks in service, though.
gmnewlook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a start! Thanks. We have irritated drivers here too. Wink They might go on strike, either them or the maintenance workers and mechanics. Last Friday, the drivers at LaSalle, Mont-Royal and St-Laurent garages parked their buses on the street as a pressure tactic. I don't know about Anjou, Frontenac, Legendre or St-Denis...
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

during rush hours. Battery place and State street is a good spot because you can see buses from the MTA, Bee Line and NJT. The Queens center mall at Woodhaven and Queens blvds. is also a great spot.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Port of Authority wrote:
Boston has a number of transit centers and bus terminals that are of interest. -- I'd recommend:

Quincy Center station
Ruggles station
Dudley station
Malden Center station
Forest Hills station
JFK/UMass station
and Ashmont station, as well as various streets in the downtown core.

Unfortunately the MBTA can be a bit hostile towards busfans, but you probably won't be bothered.

That list is definitely a good start. I might consider Wellington or Sullivan Square instead of Malden - these stations plus Ruggles and Quincy Center have spots where you can stand and pretty much see every bus that passes through, while the other stations require you to move around if you want to see everything. Ashmont is a mess right now thanks to major station renovation and an adjacent building under construction, but it does have the advantage of also having Brockton Area Transit buses.

I would also add Copley Square (articulated Neoplan CNG buses on route 39 plus RTS's and NABI CNG's on other routes), Haymarket station (buses from Charlestown and also Lynn garage during weekdays), the Harvard Square area (Charlestown and Cabot buses, plus Neoplan trackless trolleys) and the Silver Line Waterfront route in the vicinity of Silver Line Way station.

As for hostile MBTA drivers - the MBTA has backed down on its restrictive photo policies of the past, but the new policy now states that you have to show ID to an Authority 'official' or police officer if requested. I haven't been back to Boston since this took effect, but other fans have reported mixed results with some employees still insisting that photography is not allowed. You should be OK, but if anyone gives you a hard time ask to speak to a supervisor.

Good luck.

Jim
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An MBTA roster (including a list of bus route assignments by garage) can be found here:

NE Transit MBTA Vehicle Inventory Page
Waynejay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Manhattan a couple of my favorite spots were 57th-Madison and 34th--5th Ave.

In the Bronx there's also lots of action at Bainbridge Ave-206th Street (last stop of D train).

In the DC area some hot spots in addition to downtown are Silver Spring station, Wheaton, Rockville, King Street, West Falls Church, Anacostia and Ballston. The Pentagon is awesome, but you most definitely don't want to take photos there for the obvious reasons. I don't even bother to hang out there too long after the 9/11 security went into effect.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite Manhattan bus photography spots is 5th Ave. & 60th St.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In NYC, is the bus museum worth going at this time of year? When is the next Bus Fest?

Sorry, the collection of "museum" buses is scattered and garaged for most of the year. The transit museum in downtown Brooklyn (in a subway station) has a little bit of bus memorabilia. The next BusFest probably is September, 2008. You will do much better at the suggested street locations.
Enjoy the trip!
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning hassles for taking photos: I would avoid locations near the bridges and tunnels of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and the Journal Square (Jersey City) bus terminal building. The police of PANYNJ have been known to bother photographers who have toll plazas, access ramps, or Port Authority buildings in the background. Also, MTA bridges (Verazzano, Triborough, etc.) have warnings posted about photography. Keep in mind, also, that a camera could invite robbery in a few neighborhoods (not many).
gmnewlook

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Although our time will be limited, whenever we go, I will manage to do some bus spotting.

Thanks! Wink
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmnewlook,

As a self appointed member of the unofficial welcoming committee, let me take this opportunity to welcome you aboard BusTalkIII, and tell you that we look forward to your valuable input.

The suggestions made as to where the 'action' is buswise are excellent, and I would add that at any of the MTA depots you can get a pretty good idea of the 'livestock'.

I would suggest (being partial to Queens) JFK, La Guardia and Baisley as a good cross section, and there are no restraints on photo taking as far as I know.

Interestingly, this is not the first time that photo taking has been banned at certain strategic locations in the New York metropolitan area.

Upon discovering a plan by the enemy in World War II to blow up the Hellgate Bridge over the East River, signs where immediately posted on all bridges forbidding picture taking.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: