BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LI Bus takeover by MTA Bus?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't really predict an outcome once MTA Bus takes over L.I. Bus, I can tell you that it is certainly some kind of irony!

40 or even 50 years ago, who would have thought that Green Line and companies, the orange buses, Bee Line (L.I.) and its many subsidiaries along with all the rest would become one entity?

The answer is; no one would ever have thought such a thing could happen!

However, as far back as the time I worked for Green Line, there were rumors that the company was very interested in taking over Bee Line but the family owned Nassau operator refused to give in.

And they say "politics makes strange bedfellows" - how true that seems to have become!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Jamaica, NY
upperharlemline4ever

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it really doesn't affect the riding public or even the personnel of LIB (since they already work for the MTA) but no one, not the press or the MTA Bus or MTA Long Island Bus websites are saying anything about the changeover to MTA Bus. Is it actually happening on 11/01? I ran across a news article from 2000 where at that time it indicated it was just a matter of a short period time before LIB was going to be completely taken over by the MTA. Well 7 years later and it seems like now it's going to happen but yet not a peep anywhere except here.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upperharlemline4ever wrote:
but no one, not the press or the MTA Bus or MTA Long Island Bus websites are saying anything about the changeover to MTA Bus. Is it actually happening on 11/01? I ran across a news article from 2000 where at that time it indicated it was just a matter of a short period time before LIB was going to be completely taken over by the MTA. Well 7 years later and it seems like now it's going to happen but yet not a peep anywhere except here.

Only 7 years? How about this-- my grandfather started working for Green Bus Lines mid-1946. It was said NYCT would take over Green Bus not long after they were formed in the 1950's. We all know when that actually happened. The day I got hired at GBL there was a hearing on a takeover or putting the lines out to bid, and that only took another few years.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked for Green Line (summers of 59, 60 and 61) there were always all kinds of rumors floating around.

I heard the one about the city taking over too - but we really just laughed it off!

I don't know about drivers today, but you have to understand that in my time they were really a bunch of wash women when it came to scuttlebutt (myself included - I just spread everything I heard from everybody else).

As it turned out, over 99 percent of it was made up!

That's what you get when you have guys sitting around on layovers with nothing else to do - but it was a lot of fun!

The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gunna keep a lookout for MTA Bus in Nassau County. I don't understand why tha MTA won't post info about this on there site? they talked about every other private they took over!.... wait..... is it cause MTA is MTA?
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operator3319 wrote:
it maybe true no open houses for part time para transit operator for a while now that might be a sign

There's one tomorrow. MSBA is also hiring senior IT and Payroll personnel, which would further suggest there is no impending takeover.

Last edited by ripta42 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if MTA Bus brass have been spotted in MSBA depots, I wouldn't take it as a sign of a takeover. It could be preliminary work for a definite takeover, it could be exploratory work for a possible takeover, or it could be executives from one MTA agency observing how things are done at another MTA agency. As far as I'm concerned, it's a rumor until there's a press release.

That said, if the takeover is impending, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't much public notice. After all, it would be an MTA takeover of an MTA agency. I doubt the average person would give much thought to it.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

Well said - but you're forgetting that we're not average people!

We are in 'need to know' mode, and we better find out what's really going on!

Now I'll give you a possible hint; it was reported in a short piece in the L.A. Times about a week or so ago that a couple of LACMTA officials had gone to New York on a so called 'fact finding' mission!

Maybe Mr. Hammershingle (or whatever his name is) is looking for new blood, and maybe that new blood is destined to revamp L. I. Bus!

Who knows?

GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
Even if MTA Bus brass have been spotted in MSBA depots, I wouldn't take it as a sign of a takeover.

Good Point-- And I just thought about something. When the farebox probe system at GBL went down and MTA had to be called to fix it, we had people from LIB not NYCT come. LIB uses the same collection system as the PBL's did and now MTA Bus still uses. So if you seen an MTA vehicle there that said MTA LIB-- that just meant the right people for the job. Since when MTA NYCT looked over GBL for the take over they pointed out they don't use that type of collection system, a MTA NYCT vehicle for a probe problem means-- wrong people for the job.
petabread

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always see the MTA NYCT Fare collection vehicle at JFK depot, especially more often now adays. I have never seen a LIB vehicle at JFK.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTA cannot just simply abolish Long Island Bus and slap 'MTA Bus' stickers on those buses without public notice - there is too much risk of passenger confusion at locations like Flushing and Jamaica where both agencies operate side by side.

Here's a thought - why couldn't there be a behind-the-scenes administrative takeover while the LIB name remains in place for now? They could even gradually introduce the standard blue and white paint scheme slowly on the buses to get the customers used to this before rolling the operation up later on under the MTA Bus banner.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petabread wrote:
I always see the MTA NYCT Fare collection vehicle at JFK depot, especially more often now adays. I have never seen a LIB vehicle at JFK.

Not fare collection- the people who handle the system for the farebox probe. NYCT is different from LIB which is the same as MTA Bus. Has nothing to do with money, but the way the data is moved into and out of the farebox.

Lets look at it this way-- its the difference between a usb connection and a serial port-- you can't take one and use it with the other.

My point should have been-- Just because GBL was in NYC did not mean NYCT could help us for a probe problem. LIB was the go to people for help, even though they were in Nassau. The end fact is the same though-- Still MTA. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
MTA cannot just simply abolish Long Island Bus and slap 'MTA Bus' stickers on those buses without public notice - there is too much risk of passenger confusion at locations like Flushing and Jamaica where both agencies operate side by side.

Here's a thought - why couldn't there be a behind-the-scenes administrative takeover while the LIB name remains in place for now? They could even gradually introduce the standard blue and white paint scheme slowly on the buses to get the customers used to this before rolling the operation up later on under the MTA Bus banner.

I dont think any "takeover" is happening tomorrow, there are no signs or announcements about it. Didn't notice any oddities as far bus appearance goes either, they all have their regular 3 digit numbers. One thing that has been going since the begninng of this year was having the bus number painted above the rear door on the interior.
Hopefully maybe your right with you latter idea, an MTA takeover administrative and ownership but leaving the LIB name and paint scheme.
The main thing is service on some routes is pretty bad considering the crowds that use such routes as the N27,N20, and the N22 (east of Roosevelt Field).
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
petabread wrote:

Not fare collection- the people who handle the system for the farebox probe. NYCT is different from LIB which is the same as MTA Bus. Has nothing to do with money, but the way the data is moved into and out of the farebox.

Lets look at it this way-- its the difference between a usb connection and a serial port-- you can't take one and use it with the other.

My point should have been-- Just because GBL was in NYC did not mean NYCT could help us for a probe problem. LIB was the go to people for help, even though they were in Nassau. The end fact is the same though-- Still MTA. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Is this the reason why the fareboxes in NYCT seem to be placed lower?
upperharlemline4ever

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have there been any discussions between the various agencies regarding a takeover or is it purely speculation?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: