BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rides on the B110

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q101 EAST MIDTOWN 2 AV

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Rides on the B110 Reply with quote

4/1/07-Orion I #208

While I was on the B8 last night, I decided that it would be a great opportunity to ride the B110, since the mentioned route both serve @ 18 Av and 49 St. When I got to Orion I #208, I ask for the fare, which the driver told me it was $2.50 after asking if I was going to Williamsburg. Fortunately, the fare box took dollar bills, so the trouble of finding change @ around 8:40pm was easier. Then I boarded #208 just as the driver was ready to pull off. After finding a seat, another passenger asked if I was going to Williamsburg, which I said yes. Several more passengers got on, one of which asked if I was going to Williamsburg. I said yes. Then he asked if I live in Williamsburg. I lied and said yes; I actually live in Bed-Stuy near Woodhull Hospital. He actually seemed to be nice. That fact the B110 is considered an express route implies that once I boarded in Borough Park, I couldn't exit until reaching Williamsburg. However, two people got off before reaching McDonald Av and one person boarded on Bedford Av. After reachind McDonald Av, the driver turned off the lights as we entered the express secton of the B110. Throughout the ride, the passengers engaged in their conversations until coming off the BQE @ the Flushing Av exit. The man who asked me if I live in Williamsburg got off and said good night to me. Then got @ Taylor St/Lee Av and walked home.

Fare box

Adult: $2.50
Children 4-12: $1.00
Discount Book (9 rides): $20.00

Some of what I've heard that goes on in those buses.

Sexual segregation (Men in front, women in back): true

Better chance of boardeing if wearing headgear: false, I boarded with no hat and no on seemed to care

Better chance of boarding if Hasidic: false, I'm black, and I boarded with no problem other than finding change at the last minute.

4/6/07-Orion V #203

When I got the B110 stop @ Taylor St/Lee Av, a group of Hasidic women told me that the B44 stop was two blocks away. I thought that they assumed that I didn't know where to get the B44, or they didn't want me on their bus. I got on anyway. It made the stops between Taylor St and Kent Av/Williamsburg St W, then traveled along the B69. Then, near my school, there was an reactment of the Crucifixion. Finally, the bus made stops in Borough Park, where @ the last stop, the driver stopped near the middle of the road.

What I have learned:
1) The sabbath (on Saturday) is know as "shabbos" of "shabbat" among the Jews. This day was the first time the driver heard the term "sabbath."

2) Saturday night is known as "Motzei Shabbos"

3) Monsey Trails provides service between NYC (Wall St/Midtown/Williamsburg/Borough Park) and Upstate NY (Monsey/New Square)

4/18/07

School had just ended for the day and since it ends early on Wed., I used this as a good opportunity to ride the B110. At 18 Av/50 St(The Borough Park terminal), I found the bus idling w/o a driver, then boarded the bus and paid the fare. Another person tried to use a MetroCard, but I told him that they don't use MetroCard. Later, the driver got on and we left for Williamsburg. On Fort Hamilton Pkwy, I saw a group off Jews, and NYPD car, and a news van. One of the passengers told me there was a funeral for someone who died in the Virgina Tech Massacre. When we got to Williamsburg, we saw a school bus stop diagonally in the middle of the road.

What I have learned:

1) Monroe Bus Corp operate buses between NYC and Monroe, NY

2) Said company has a repair shop with ex-Pace Orion Is

3) Most women you will see on this bus, bring children with them. Often they will get on the bus with the children in the stroller.

General Info:

1) While this route is ideally meant for Jews, anyone can ride it

2) This route is sexually segregated.

3) It is $2.50 between Boro Pk and Williamsburg. $1.00 within the zones.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rides on the B110 Reply with quote

Q101 EAST MIDTOWN 2 AV wrote:
Sexual segregation (Men in front, women in back): true

How is this enforced?

Quote:
The sabbath (on Saturday) is know as "shabbos" of "shabbat" among the Jews. This day was the first time the driver heard the term "sabbath."

Sorry to get off topic with a linguistics lesson - this is one of those idiosynchrosies of dialects and transliterating words that aren't in our alphabet. ת, the last letter in the word שבת, is pronounced "t" by Jews from the Middle East and Spain, and "s" by Eastern European Jews (and was probably pronounced closer to "th" in ancient times). So it's transliterated at "th" to be non-committal. Similarly, when you see a synagogue "Beth ____," it's really pronounced "bait" or "bais" (it means house).

Quote:
Said company has a repair shop with ex-Pace Orion Is

Did you notice any ex-Madison/CyRide Orion Vs around, either running or at the the garage? Have they been repainted into Private's livery?
Q101 EAST MIDTOWN 2 AV

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B110 has 5 Orion Vs and thier depot: 201-203, 205-206. Some seats resemble those of recent NYCT/MTAB buses, while others look suburban
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: