BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'The Buses of Schenck Transportation'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, information on Schenck's pre war equipment is scant and, as you can see in the beginning of this thread, all I could dig up was one order of Mack Model LD's from 1942.

However and thanks to Hart Bus and eBay, I can expand upon the missing information somewhat in the sense that I have found the attachment in the guise of an early forties 40 passenger Twin Coach operated by Schenck as fleet number 161.

This model was the first Twin to have an anti reflective angled windshield and the last of its type before the introduction of a completely new bus after the war.

Schenck watchers will immediately note the void under the front windshield which was usually filled with a large tin '7up' advertising sign.

Enjoy.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Coram Bus Service wasn't that big with coach buses, they ran from the City to somewhere in the late 70's. but their thing was school buses (which they at one point rented) and transit. Coarm Bus Service is still around as a transit op called CBS Lines, or so i'm told.

Apparently i was wrong Coram Bus Service was in the Coach Bus Biz for a while as they had 4 P8M-4905A's numbered 118,125,127-128.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found another tiny little pre-war Schenck floating around eBay.

This was one of eight 35 passenger 1942 Mack Model LD-3G's numbered 100 to 107 and delivered to Schenck Transportation Company of Floral Park, New York in November of that year.

The shot, taken sometime in the forties and definitely in Nassau County, is probably along Hillside Avenue judging by the Jamaica Subway destination on the sign.

Note that this was another of the very late pre-war Macks that featured an anti reflective angled windshield.

It's unfortunate that the photo is not in color because Schenck's buses had a very distinctive livery scheme in a combination of black, red and gray with silver for the roof.

Photo credit within frame.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another old Schenck just pulled into the BusTalk car barn!

Seen below in a photo taken in 1950 at Schenck Transportation's Floral Park, New York facility is fleet number 154 - a 1941 Twin Coach Model 41-RG.

As I have mentioned earlier in this thread, prewar records for Schenck are scant but considering that another Twin (# 161) also appears on this page, we can deduce that there were at least eight of the breed in service.

Twin Coach fared well before the war in the New York metropolitan area with sizable and steady orders to North Shore Bus Company, Jamaica Buses, Surface Transportation, Brooklyn Bus Corporation and the City of New York.

Apparently, Schenck also ran Ford Transits (the rear end of one can be seen at the left end of the frame).

Credit with image.

andy47

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Schenck question: I recall that in the mid-1950s it had some second hand GMs, probably 4007s, that had the rear door welded closed. The upper part simply had the door folds welded into one piece - and a new piece of sheet metal covered the bottom half of what was a door step well. Looked strange when I first saw those buses. They too were mostly on school runs. Do you know where these buses came from originally?
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy47,

The only used Schenck GM 'Old Look' that I can come up with (thanks to HartBus) is pictured below as a 1949 or early 1950 TDH 4509 single door with no apparent sign that it might have had a rear door at one time.

Here's something very interesting about this particular bus; it is operating in New York State illegally because it does not have a mechanical exhaust system as was required by law (the Mickey Mouse ears on the roof are merely manual dampers).

However, it must have passed inspection because there is a Public Service Commission sticker in the lower right corner of the right windshield.

BTW; this bus, the fleet number of which is obscured, was a rarity for Schenck because they were not known usually to buy used equipment.

Enjoy,

Mr. 'L'

Jimbo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the mechanical exhaust system you mention a requirement of NYC ? (not New York State ?)
frankie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo looks like it's either on Hillside Ave or Jamaica Ave as evident by the 2 lens traffic lights and ornamental light poles.

The photographer had to be in the right place at the right time to capture two Schenck buses going in opposite directions. The one going the opposite direction looks like one of their TDH-3714 buses with the optional beltline trim.

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo,

I'm pretty sure it was state law but I'll check on that.

It still doesn't negate the fact that this Schenck was operating illegally in the city.

As you may know, all Jersey and Connecticut operators that had routes into New York had to have the mechanical blowers except, of course, if they were equipped with ThermoMatic or like systems.

As long as we're on the subject of mechanical exhausts, let me give you a little history;

They first appeared in New York in the very late twenties and had little to do with passenger comfort but were more to reduce noxious fumes that came from forward and underfloor gasoline engines.

GM and Mack were among the first to solve the problem by mounting the engines in the rear but not so for White, ACF and Twin Coach.

In fact, the White's leaked so badly that they had to develop specials seals which didn't work either.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
andy47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot of those two Schenck buses in Jamaica. If you look closely at the one closest to the photographer the destination sign says "TROTTERS", meaning it was probably on an express trip from Jamaica to Roosevelt Raceway. Don't remember that particular bus but if my memory serves me correctly, Schenck had a fair variety of GM old looks, both new and second-hand, model years between 1947 and 1958, prior to the Fishbowl invasion. The second hand buses were often on school runs to supplement the conventional front-engine school buses.
frankie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy47 wrote:
Great shot of those two Schenck buses in Jamaica. If you look closely at the one closest to the photographer the destination sign says "TROTTERS", meaning it was probably on an express trip from Jamaica to Roosevelt Raceway.

"If I knew then what I know now!" How many time have we said that? I remembered back in the early '60's (my high school days), there were many a weekday evening that I would bus watch along Old Country Road in Mineola on race days. IF ONLY I HAD A CAMERA! Old Country Road was the funnel of just about every bus company in and around New York City that took patrons to Roosevelt Raceway using a vast variety of different make and model buses.

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this almost picture perfect post card photo of a wintry scene somewhere along the very secluded byways of East Williston, Long Island, we see an early fifties GM Model TDH 3612 and one of fifteen numbered between 201 and 215 operating for Schenck Transportation Company of Floral Park, New York.

Rigged for school service with special roof height stop signals and certified signs, this little Schenck is about to give its first graders a very warm and comfortable ride to classes.

Schenck Transportation was one of the larger of the western Nassau operations with feeder lines to Queens rapid transit hubs and gained stature by acquiring many small competitors until it too was absorbed by the Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority (MSBA) in the early seventies.

Eight of Schenck's 3612's were sold to Conestoga Transportation of Lancaster, Pa. in the mid sixties.

Photo courtesy of Getty Images.

Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parish in Queens (St. NIcholas of Tolentine) back in the mid 1960's used to charter buses from Schenck every Sunday, for those parishioners who were unable to drive to Mass. My family and I would use this bus service only during snowy weather. I have fond memories of those Schenck fishbowls navigating the snowy streets of Central Queens. As I recall, their color scheme at the time was mostly white with a red stripe at the belt line.
andy47

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schenck was the school bus contractor for virtually all of the years I lived in Great Neck. I remember its 3612 GMs in school service - a sign rack held the "SCHOOL BUS" sign over the front sign box and over the rear window as well. The SCHOOL BUS sign could be removed if the bus was used in regular transit service. The NCR fare register was normally left on the bus - only the coin changer was missing when it was school bus.

I did not ride Schenck's school buses, as I lived too close to my schools to qualify for bus service, but those buses were always around in those days. The drivers would usually hang out at one or two luncheonettes near the high school between runs.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very conservative combination of a dark red, gray and black livery on the school buses numbered 65 and 74 shown below are unmistakably trademarks of Schenck Transportation Company of Floral Park, Long Island.

I have little further information on these photos except to say that they were taken in the 50's somewhere in western Nassau County by Dennis Hallinan and that the chassis on these buses appear to be Fords although I stand corrected on that point.

Schenck and rival Independent Coach Corporation of Hewlett, New York held contracts for the majority of school districts in the Towns of Hempstead and North Hempstead transporting many thousands of our children to their appointed classes every day.

Photo courtesy of Getty Images.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: