BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Macks of New York City Board of Transportation'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: "The Macks of New York City Board of Transportation' Reply with quote

Surfing the Internet, I found this rather interesting mosaic containing a picture of then Chairman of the New York City Board of Transportation Colonel Sidney H. Bingham along with other officials inspecting the first of 400 Mack C-50 DT's in 1950 (I don't know which one is Chairman Bingham).

The buses, which were eventually to be nicknamed for their mentor, were Diesel powered. with Torque Converters, Hydraulic Steering and were numbered from 5200 to 5599.

Interestingly, the civil defense minded Colonel who helped to design the C-50's incorporated attachments for stretchers to easily convert the buses to ambulances.

This was one of the last orders of Mack buses to be purchased by New York City.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Cyberider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ad, Mr. Linsky. Mack trucks have always been a favorite of mine.
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberider & Mr. L., I'm right there with you.
I flat-out just love Mack, whether it's trucks or buses.
Check out www.BigMackTrucks.com if you love the Bulldog.
Cyberider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob. I need to join another forum! Laughing
Pipe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Linsky. Nice advertisement of Mack Buses and Trucks. Mr.Linsky The last order of Mack Buses the NYCTA purchased was the 1956 C-49 6000's I drove a Mack B-25 flat bed truck. Back in the earley 1970's part time. Mack Thucks was the king of the road at one time, "Pipe"
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe wrote:
Mr.Linsky. Nice advertisement of Mack Buses and Trucks. Mr.Linsky The last order of Mack Buses the NYCTA purchased was the 1956 C-49 6000's I drove a Mack B-25 flat bed truck. Back in the earley 1970's part time. Mack Thucks was the king of the road at one time, "Pipe"

Pipe,

Thanks for the compliment and sorry for any error.

I have amended the sentence to include "one of the last orders of Mack Buses".

Thanks again.

Mr. 'L'
foto_buff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Macks of New York City Board of Transportation Reply with quote

[quote="Mr. Linsky"]Surfing the Internet, I found this rather interesting mosaic containing a picture of then Chairman of the New York City Board of Transportation Colonel Sidney H. Bingham along with other officials inspecting the first of 400 Mack C-50 DT's in 1950 (I don't know which one is Chairman Bingham).

Hi, Folks.

The bus photo is of Board of Transportation 1600 series C-45-GTs on public display before their going into service on the B-56/Jamaica Avenue route in late 1947. These were gas-engine vehicles; the Board hadn't yet fully committed to diesel power, and Mack's diesel wouldn't be in regular production until months after the photo was taken. The Board was in such a hurry to motorize the B-56 line that the 1600s were pressed into service without proper rollsigns, and had simplified paper route and destination indications pasted on the headsign glass. After the various 1948 Twin, Mack and GM orders were delivered, and possible after the last of the GM TDH-5101s was placed in service in early 1949, the 1600s were moved to Staten Island, where all the Board's gas-engine Macks served out their short service lives (retired in 1956).

Note that regular production C-50s all wore the wide aluminum band at the belt rail and had the plastic circular Mack emblem front and rear, while the buses in the photo all have the earlier multiple strip front trim with vertical center strip and cast Mack badge.

Several larger photos from the same publicity event appear in the Xplorer Press NYCTA 1946-1958 NYCTA Bus Fleet Book.

Thanks and regards,
Vince

vsyrek@verizon.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: