BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farewell to "The Bolt"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Farewell to "The Bolt" Reply with quote

.......a few days back, on 1010 WINS News Radio, I heard that BOLT BUS has suspended operations indefintley, due to the major hit it took during the pandemic....... Sad
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some releases from Bolt and Greyhound quoted in the news...

https://www.boltbus.com/

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/travel/rip-boltbus-the-affordable-trendy-bus-company-has-discontinued-service-and-greyhound-will-take-over-its-routes/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Appreciate the links; am sort of surprised that GREYHOUND, given its current state, is taking over the former BOLT routes.

Let's see what transpires in the future for these routes......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may be aware that Greyhound already owned Bolt, so it doesn't really mean much that they are 'taking over' some Bolt runs.

So far, no buyer's in sight for Greyhound, so they will probably continue their long slow spiral into oblivion...
Sad
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I think you may be aware that Greyhound already owned Bolt, so it doesn't really mean much that they are 'taking over' some Bolt runs.

So far, no buyer's in sight for Greyhound, so they will probably continue their long slow spiral into oblivion...
Sad

traildriver:

Thanks for jarring my memory; I must admit that I had forgotten GREYHOUND owned BOLT.

Quick question:

What is the status of the current GREYHOUND fleet?

Is downsizing in progress?

Are there buses in storage?

Thanks......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have been away from contact with my former Greyhound 'sources', I no longer can find out the answers to these questions, except from what I can learn from this, and other, internet forums...

BTW, after being retired for four years, I got bored and decided to get back into the business. So I now work part-time (I determine when) for the Academy West Palm Beach terminal. While they mostly do charter's here, they also run contracted line run shuttles, for Century Village in Boca Raton, a 55+ community. So for the first time in my career, I am a "curb-bumper", driving Gillig's and NOVA's... Laughing
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Great to hear that you are "back in the BUSiness"! Wink

I'm sure you are glad to get back in the "swing of things"......good luck! Very Happy

BTW:

Do you happen to know what happened to the BEIBER fleet after the company stopped operations?

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Great to hear that you are "back in the BUSiness"! Wink

I'm sure you are glad to get back in the "swing of things"......good luck! Very Happy

BTW:

Do you happen to know what happened to the BEIBER fleet after the company stopped operations?

"NYO"

I have no idea. I am sure that Carl Bieber is spinning in his grave over what happened to his once great company.
I would guess that the remaining fleet was either sold, or siezed by creditor's, and auctioned off....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Yes, I am sure that the late Mr. Bieber is NOT a happy fellow, up in that big bus terminal in the sky.....personally, I never thought I'd see the day that would see the end of the BEIBER company.

So few of the "old established carriers" are now relegated to "fallen flag" status........so little remains of the great era of intercity coaches....... Sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......these days, it would seem that the bus market is now catering mostly to city and commuter buses; one does not dare to guess as to just how much more intercity bus travel (regardless of operators) is going to disappear in the short term.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new employer, Academy, seems to be doing well. We have "terminals", (garages) in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Atlanta, NC, VA, and of course NJ. And MA. I asked our local general manager why Academy doesn't link them together with "Go-Bus" line runs, like they do between VA, NYC, and MA, and she replied that with the fiercely competitive fares other carrier's are charging, they can't make any money. So they specialize down here with charters and contracted shuttle runs, and are growing. Like NY, we carry all the professional and most college sports teams, as well as many prestigious corporate clients for conventions and conferences.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

VERY interesting reading; thanks for sharing! Wink

Recall, back in the long-gone days of roller curtains, when "CHARTER" was included on virtually every roller curtain?

I can also remember "SPECIAL"; in Great Britain, the term "CHARTER" was never used on roller curtains; it was either "PRIVATE" or "PRIVATE HIRE".

Back in the day, London Transport did a brisk "private hire" business......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Recall, back in the long-gone days of roller curtains, when "CHARTER" was included on virtually every roller curtain?

"NYO"

Except for the TA, right? Wink

The TA, and most government owned operations, were banned from competing with private businesses....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I am now reminded of a "FAMILY CIRCUS" cartoon, many years ago. While riding in Mommy's station wagon, one of the kids sees a bus nearby, with "CHARTER" displayed on its roller curtain.

Billy: "Mommy, that bus is going to 'Charter'. Where's charter?" Wink

I have not seen a bus in my area displaying a "CHARTER" sign since roller curtains were breathing their very last.......over two decades ago......

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My memory can always be faulty. Recall the days before the Department of Traffic ruled New York City? The rule-maker was the Police Department. As a kid, I heard that the CHARTER destination sign was a result of the NYPD requiring it, so there would be no confusion with a franchised route bus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: