BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding pooling of buses...
I used to marvel at the huge variety that Greyhound pooled with...
A real treat in The Port, was to see the daily thru New York/Fort Kent, Me. thru bus that Eastern Greyhound operated to Bangor, then handed off to the Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (Highway Division), for the remainder. Approxiamately every other trip had a BAR bus on it. You had to be up late to see it, though...
IIRC, it departed New York at 9:00 PM, and arrived in NY at 4:15 AM.
It's schedule was designed to serve all the once a day BAR portion of the route in daylight. For the GL portion, there were many more trips to choose from.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Like yourself, I truly enjoy delving into the "finer points" of old TT's; it truly is nothing short of amazing (as well as sobering) to see just how much has vanished in the course of the past several decades.

A few other old bus TT's from my archives includes one very interesting one (from 1938) for for the "MAINE CENTRAL"; this TT includes trains, buses**, and planes * (*LOCKHEED Electra, 10 passengers!) Shocked

**B. & M.T. MOTOR COACH

I also have a "wartime" GREAT LAKES GREYHOUND tt from 1943; this features a drawing of a SILVERSIDES on the front.

TERMINAL LOCATIONS (some of the "stations" were at local stores, hotels, and filling stations).....

BALDWIN

BAY CITY

BIRMINGHAM

CHEBOYGAN

CLARE

CLARKESTON

DETROIT

EVART

FAREWELL

FLINT

FRANKENMUTH

GAYLORD

GRAND BLANC

GRAYLING

HOUGHTON LAKE

INDIAN RIVER

LOUDINGTON

MACKINAW CITY

PETOSKEY

PINCONNING

PONTIAC

PRUDEBVILLE

REED CITY

ROSCOMMON

SAGINAW

ST. IGNACE

SAULT STE. MARIE

SCOTTVILLE

TOPINABEE

WATERFORD

WEST BRANCH

WOLVERINE

Yes, indeed........the legendary "Hound" truly went virtually everywhere and anywhere, back the halcyon days........ Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun May 10, 2020 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more "recent" GREYHOUND timetable I have is from 1970, featuring a "Bison" and an MCI on the front, along with cities served:

SEATTLE

BUTTE

FARGO

CHICAGO

PORTLAND

SALT LAKE CITY

(Washington local service)

Connecting bus companies:

BLACK BALL TRANSPORT

EMPIRE LINES

INTERMOUNTAIN TRANSPORTATION CO.

J.J. LAFFERTY STAGE CO.

NORTHWESTER STAGE LINES

SUN VALLEY BUS LINES

LAS VEGAS-TONOPAH-RENO STAGE LINES
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good timetable folder..."no. 3"?

Black Ball Transport was actually not a bus...it was the ferry operator of the MV Coho, which ran between Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula, and Victoria...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Another good timetable folder..."no. 3"?

Black Ball Transport was actually not a bus...it was the ferry operator of the MV Coho, which ran between Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula, and Victoria...

traildriver:

Ahhhh, "Blackball"........the company for which the "World's First Streamlined Ferry" (the magnificent, now-scrapped "KALALKALA") once proudly sailed......... Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat May 09, 2020 11:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Kalakala

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Coho

http://www.cohoferry.com
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After becoming something of an "expert" (IMHO Wink )...in reading and studying timetables thru the years, I have gained much admiration for the way Greyhound's schedule writer's at their peak, put together such well constructed, and interconnected system of schedules.

If one took a ride on a thru coach from say, New York City, to say, Los Angeles, via Oklahoma...one would go thru a succession of busy "hubs" where many routes met. Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Flagstaff, and Los Angeles.
At each of these, several times each day, buses criss-crossing from many compass points would arrive, have a rest stop, and then depart, offering unlimited possibilites of connections. It took years to develop such a grid.

And besides those major hubs, there were about as many intermediate crossings of other routes, where there were also connections possible...
for example... Breezewood, Cambridge, Zanesville, Dayton, Terre Haute, Effingham, Springfield, etc....

One of the biggest challenges for the writer's, came in 1973, when the country went to the 55 mph national speed limit...you can imagine what that did to the inter-connectivity from one 'hub' to another...what a nightmare!

IMHO, nobody did it as well as Eastern Greyhound Lines during their hayday in the late fifties and the sixties. Their timetables and schedules were simply brilliant...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Agreed, all the way! Wink

I have LONG, LONG been totally amazed at how those old GREYHOUND timetables, literally, left "no stone unturned", "no room for doubt".

Concise, comprehensive, intricate, highly-detailed......the GREYHOUND scheduling of decades ago truly were "works of intricate art", in their own right.

One can only imagine how the fellows who actually planned and coordinated these timetables could be as accurate and as concise as they were, WITHOUT the use of electric aids.....good ol' fashioned BRAIN power.....along with pen, papers, and pencils!

It HAD to be one heckuva monumental task, back in those days, to coordinate schedules to the umpteenth degree as they did, when one factors in the running times, connections to other carriers, etc.

Now THAT was a TASK that was NOT for the "faint-hearted", for certain!Shocked

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding my early posts (w/links) on ferries.......

I'm wondering if, in any area, GREYHOUND buses once used ferries as part of their route.

I've seen old photos and postcards showing highway coaches aboard ferries in different parts of the country; this, in itself, makes for interesting photo images!Wink

In the book "FERRIES OF PUGET SOUND" (Stephen J. Pickens) there is a photo from the 1950's, showing a highway coach (just visible) on the deck of the handsome, ex-Maryland vessel, "M/V GOVERNOR HARRY W. NICE"

I recall, long ago, seeing a photo of one of the ferries in that "neck of the woods" with a "Bison" on board.

As a sidenote, in London, the "WOOLWICH FREE FERRY" carried both LT buses and long-distance coaches aboard their ancient sidewheelers, which lasted into the 1960's.

"BUS AHOY!" Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun May 10, 2020 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolwich_Ferry *

*Note photos of LT buses in queue for the ferry.......
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Regarding my early posts (w/links) on ferries.......

I'm wondering if, in any area, GREYHOUND buses once used ferries as part of their route.

I've seen old photos and postcards showing highway coaches aboard ferries in different parts of the country; this, in itself, makes for interesting photo images!Wink
"BUS AHOY!" Wink

"NYO"

Absolutely, and not that far from home...

As you may know, Greyhound ran interline service from New York City to Newport, RI for many years...handing off the bus to Short Line of RI (a predecessor of Bonanza), at Providence.

But during the summer peak season, Greyhound ran their own all-Greyhound shortcut via Jamestown. Until the Newport (later Pell) Bridge was built in 1969, the bus crossed the two mile trip over Naragansett Bay on the ferry to reach Newport. I rode it in that final season, before the new bridge link was opened.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how could I not mention the Virginia Ferry Commission route from Cape Charles to Little Creek that carried tons of Greyhound and Carolina Trailways buses across, before the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel opened...? Smile
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another busy route that still exists is the BC Ferry that the Vancouver-Victoria buses use. I believe the Washington State system may also carry some commuter buses...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Ahhhh, "Buses On Board".......I LOVE IT! Very Happy

Appreciate the interesting info as well! Wink

I had mentioned an old (1970's) photo I had seen of a "Bison" on board a (open deck) ferry; I now recall that it was the "KULSHAN" (b. 1954), which later sailed east to New York, where she operated on the Governor's Island crossing for some years (the last I heard, she was operating during the summer months up at Matha's Vineyard)

I also have an early 70's battery-operated toy (sold at Woolworth's), called the "SHUTTLING FERRY BOAT", which has a small battery-operated bus shuttling between "A" and "B" via a plastic ferry (mine still works, and has the original box!)

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun May 10, 2020 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my "fun activities" was putting together some thru bus schedules, to link far off places, but using combinations of different routes that did not actually have such thru services. Other things were to run the fastest possible schedule from coast to coast, by using the current fastest running times between the fewest and longest segments currently used....

Or...try to go as far a distance as possible, using only independent carrier's, and not using Greyhound or Trailways....

Hours of diversion, if you have a Russell's Guide... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 7 of 73

Jump to: