BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
The “coach builder’s” like Stageway, made all sorts of “stretches” from Pontiacs, Chrysler, Lincoln, Cadillac, and others into limo’s, 6 or 8 door wagons and sedans, hearses, ambulances, etc...

traildriver:

When one looks at photos of the earliest highway coaches, it is easy to tell that, either they were rebuilt from sedans and touring cars, or, were inspired by the "stretch" jobs of that era.

Early FAGEOL Safety Coaches, clearly utilized "stretch" auto styling; highway coaches like these also had individual passenger doors, further carrying over the automobile design of that early highway coach era......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is from an old issue of "MOTOR COACH AGE", regarding the history of SWGL:

".......sparse population and indifferent roads confined intercity highway travel in Texas to modified touring cars and stretched sedans, well into the 1920'; such vehicles were equipped with oversized tires and other modifications for bus work....."

"........in 1929, in addition to two TWIN COACHES and a number of other big 'parlor coaches', the 'LONE STAR STAGE LINE (now Bowen's 'WEST TEXAS COACHES' also rostered a number of modified BUICK and CADILLAC sedans for minor branch lines on unpaved roads........."

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example that live on to this day in a few places...true living history! Cool

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Jammers#:~:text=Red%20Jammers%20are%20the%20vintage,transport%20park%20visitors%20since%201936.

https://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/red-bus-tours/history/

https://www.gonomad.com/3416-jammer-joe-at-the-wheel-glacier-park-s-iconic-red-buses

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/glacier-national-park-red-jammer-bus-fleet/
https://www.skagwaystreetcar.com/skagway-street-car-tour-tickets.html
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

(thanks for posting these links!) Wink

On an interesting note, W. E. Nunelee of of Tyler (Texas) started "bus" operations in 1922, after the roaads in the general area haad been improved enough to make operations feasible.

This gentleman always bought Studebakers, beginning with autos and then progressing (in 1924) to 12-passenger MILLER bodies on stretched chassis.

He also operated "stretch" Studebakers with FREMONT bodies; this operation was purchased by SOUTHWESTERN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY in late 1928.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early days, WEST TEXAS COACHES operated two REOS equipped with 12-passenger FitzJohn bodies.

Of course, this current subject takes us back to the earliest day of what later became GREYHOUND; a humble HUPMOBILE was at the very beginning, recall, also, the stretch touring car ("HIBBING-DULUTH: FARE $2.75") that, also, was an ancient ancestor of the sleek SCENICRUIERS and 4104's of the 1950's.

Humble beginnings, indeed.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREYHOUND to Niagara Falls.......

Am curious if, back in the day, GREYHOUND (or CANADIAN GREYHOUND) served Niagara Falls directly?

When my folks and I took a weekend excursion to Niagara Falls (via a NYC weekend package/school bus connection at Buffalo) back in 1966, I cannot remember seeing any GREYHOUND buses when we got to the Falls.

I do remember seeing a number of CLIPPERS and VISICOACHES, and PREVOSTS and a few Old Looks (at the UNION BUS TERMINAL)

On our next trip up to the Falls (1973), when traveled up from New York via "PARKER TOURS" (bus was a "DATTCO" Buffalo), I remember still seeing some VISICOACHES, and quite a few PREVOSTS.

I remember my folks and I taking a sightseeing tour of Montreal, and, later on, discovering that the "MURRAY HILL" bus were rode about in was a PREVOST ( they clearly were inspired by VISCOACHES)......what a treat! Wink

I've since learned that this coach, and several other "MURRAY HILL" buses were originally owned by "BLUEBIRD COACH LINES" (Quebec); in 1951, this company was later sold to "EASTERN CANADIAN GREYHOUND LINES" in 1951.

When "MURRAY HILL" later purchased these buses, they were rebuilt, and had glass sightseeing windows installed in the roof.

Hard to believe that trip is now almost 50 years in the past (Your's Truly was but 16 then!)...... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greyhound Lines did not serve Niagara Falls directly, IIRC. Their cousin, Eastern Canadian Greyhound Lines did however, on their route between Buffalo, St. Thomas, Windsor, and Detroit.

Grand Island Transit ran between Buffalo, and Niagara Falls, NY, later succeeded by Niagara Frontier Metro Transit.

Gray Coach Lines ran between Buffalo, Niagara Falls, On., and Toronto. Greyhound Lines of Canada later acquired then.
Canada Coach Lines ran between Buffalo, Niagara Falls, On., and Hamilton. They were acquired by Trentway-Wager, part of Coach Canada.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

As always, greatly appreciate your always interesting input! Wink

Another company that served Niagara Falls was "BLUE BIRD" (there was an excellent article on this "family" company in the July, 1998 issue of "BUS WORLD")

In the article, there is a color photo of a restored GM parlor coach from 1946 (looks to be a PD-4101); over the windows are listed the towns/cities the company served:

BUFFALO

OLEAN

CLEVELAND

SYRACUSE

NIAGARA FALLS

ERIE (PA)

ROCHESTER

This article also states that, at the time this feature came out, "BLUE BIRD" was being purchased by "COACH USA".......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New York Trailways also extended its routes into Niagara Falls, NY. It did not seek to carry locally between Buffalo and there, but just as a convenience for its cross-state passenger's. It originated trips there, with thru service all the way to New York City...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Great input, as always. Wink

Regarding Niagara Falls itself, MARTZ came fairly close (Buffalo); recall, also, that, from New York (Hoboken) one could also take the DL&W/E-L to Buffalo (of course, there also was the NYC from Grand Central)

As I had said earlier, on my family's second trip to Canada in 1973 (including a few days at the Falls) I saw quite a few PREVOSTS; I also got to see some old WESTERN FLYER coaches (I really dug those high rear windows!)

In Montreal, Mom and I rode the classic classic CCF-BRILL transits (I had not been on a BRILL since they disappeared from my area about 1967/1968)....a LOT of fun!

I also took a few photos at the Albany bus terminal, during a lunch stop (snapped a few "Hounds"!) a few hours out of New York.

I last visited the Falls in 1979; there is a strong, ancient "aura" there that makes you want to visit again and again; one can only imagine the awe and wonder felt by the first Europeans who gazed upon its turbulent, thundering waters for the first time, hundreds of years ago! Shocked

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an excellent page on Niagara Falls; much in the way regarding origins, history, etc.

Many interesting historic illustrations/photos on this page as well*.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_Falls

*(be sure to note the 19th century railroad bridges!)

Also of historical interest:

www.lewis-clark.org/article/812

https://www.niagarafrontier.com/accounts.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_de_Champlain

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:36 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, only astute historians (traction historians, included) would know of the long-ago Niagara Gorge Railroad, which operated trolleys along the gorge until 1935......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_Gorge_Railroad
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More interesting history......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_Gorge

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another interesting page on the Niagara Gorge trolleys (rare photos, map, etc.)......

www.niagarafrontier.com/greatgorge.html
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on the subject of Niagara Falls, the most unusual "buses" ever to operate in the general area had to be the Orion "People Movers", which debuted in 1985.

The "People Movers" were a special-bodied bus with a matching trailer; these unusual vehicles was designed for the Niagara Parks Commission, powered by liquid propane, and had a seating total of 78.

There is a picture of one of these vehicles at the Falls in "THE BUS WORLD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BUSES" (Stauss)......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 22 of 73

Jump to: