BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I see the classic film, "Breakfast At Tiffany's", in the scene where Buddy Ebsen's character leaves New York on a Scenicruiser, with Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard's character's seeing him off; I always look at the terminal, and try to figure out if it was the Capitol Greyhound Terminal, or more likely somewhere in "Hollywood"... Confused
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I was searching for rare interior views of the old Port, and discovered this link among the photo's shown....it has some amazing pictures and detailed information on the old Pennsylvania and Captiol Greyhound Terminal's, that I have never seen before...

https://www.drivingfordeco.com/vanished-new-york-city-art-deco-the-pennsylvania-capitol-greyhound-terminals/

traildriver:

Ahhh, why can't we find someone who'll sell us a time machine or two?? Rolling Eyes

Man, what was once so commonplace!!!!! Wink

Too bad that the old GREYHOUND terminal across from (RIP) Penn Station was destroyed. Sad

Like so many of the railroad stations/terminals of that era, the long-haul bus stations were often structures of both distinction and style.

Totally unlike the boxy, bland, structures of today....."Lego", anyone? Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Every time I see the classic film, "Breakfast At Tiffany's", in the scene where Buddy Ebsen's character leaves New York on a Scenicruiser, with Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard's character's seeing him off; I always look at the terminal, and try to figure out if it was the Capitol Greyhound Terminal, or more likely somewhere in "Hollywood"... Confused

traildriver:

In the 1963 Doris Day film, "THAT TOUCH OF MINK", there is one part where Doris Day is about to depart the old GREYHOUND terminal near Penn Station, and her friend, played by the lovely Audrey Meadows (she looked just like Mom did, back then!) is seeing her off.

We also get to hear some neat 4104 sounds as well (including horn!) in this brief segment!

Miss Meadows' character worked in the Automat; there were also taxi scenes filmed on Boulevard East in Weehawken (the NYCRR freight yards were just below, back then!)

On a related note, in the classic "NORTH BY NORTHWEST" there's the scene where Cary Grant is boarding a SCENICRUISER in the middle of nowhere (signs on pole reads"BUS STOP"/"INDIANA 41"; this scene was actually filmed in East Bakersfield, California.

You have to note the "non standard" font on the custom destination sign reading"INDIANAPOLIS", as a West Coast GREYHOUND would not have had this destination on its roller curtain.*

*this info is from "GREYHOUND SCENICRUISER" (McNally/Rayman).

Ahhh, the magic of Tinsel Town........ Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1990's HALLMARK movie, "Love Field" (which took place at the time of JFK's asassination in 1963) also features vintage "Hounds" and station scenes (one frightening scene has a DC-bound SCENICRUISER swerving off a near-empty rural highway, to avoid a catastrophic accident, where a 1960 Chevy gets sheared under the trailer of a big rig, heading in the opposite direction)

Also, recall the opening scenes in "THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS" (1957?) where we see Burt Lancaster's (another of my favorite actors) character aboard a NYC-bound SCENICRUISER, near the Lincoln Tunnel........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..........too, we cannot forget the many old "documentry" films that GREYHOUND was "starred", in back in the day, such as "THE BUS DRIVER"* (late 1940's), "FREEDOM HIGHWAY"** (circa-1955)

*This b/w film begins at the old GREYHOUND terminal opposite Penn Station, and ends in steel-mill Pittsburgh; a "SILVERSIDES" stars in this film! Wink

** In this color featurette, a SCENICRUISER (in living color!) is most prominent (I have both on DVD, and never tire of watching them.......vanished America!)

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appearances are indeed deceiving, even when regarding what was once thought as "ultimate development" of highway coaches, regarding the SCENICRUISER.......

The mechanical problems that plagued the original SCENICRUISERS eventually led to a civil lawsuit. TIME magazine reported the following on August 6, 1956*:

"......A suit against G.M. is planned by GREYHOUND, the automaker's best customer. GREYHOUND charges that 570 out of of 1,000 double-deck SCENICRUISERS purchased from G.M. for $53 million developed lubrication troubles....."

Within two-and-a-half months, TIME printed the following:

".......the G.M.-GREYHOUND feud is being patched up out of court. GREYHOUND gets a settlement for dropping its threat to sue the automaker on charge that half of the 1,000 SCENICRUISER buses purchased by GREYHOUND developed mechanical trouble....."

".....the rebuilding of the SCENICRUISER fleet lasted 11 months, starting in October, 1961. Most of the work was completed at Indianapolis, but about $3 million more was spent at various GREYHOUND garages across the country......."

(It is also interesting to note that GREYHOUND also experimented CUMMINS, MERCEDES-BENZ, and MAN engine combinations as possible replacements for the original power plants. MARMON-HERRINGTON was awarded the $10 million contract to rebuild the SCENICRUISER fleet)

*Information courtesy of "GREYHOUND SCENICRUISER" (McNally/Rayman)

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that always made me feel good, was seeing a particular bus, that I "knew well", far away from home. I especially felt nostalgic, while stationed in San Francisco, and seeing EGL transcontinental pool Scenicruiser's or MC-7's coaches arrive on the thru trip from New York City, or Washington, DC. The same for Continental Trailways ABL-Eastern Eagle's.

It was also a neat experience to ride a coast-to-coast thru coach, and see the same number painted on it, every time returning from a rest stop, in such varied location's...felt like you were 'at home', even though you were far away...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
One thing that always made me feel good, was seeing a particular bus, that I "knew well", far away from home. I especially felt nostalgic, while stationed in San Francisco, and seeing EGL transcontinental pool Scenicruiser's or MC-7's coaches arrive on the thru trip from New York City, or Washington, DC. The same for Continental Trailways ABL-Eastern Eagle's.

It was also a neat experience to ride a coast-to-coast thru coach, and see the same number painted on it, every time returning from a rest stop, in such varied location's...felt like you were 'at home', even though you were far away...

traildriver:

Indeed, your "home away from home"! Wink

I remember, long ways back in my "WABC ad card" thread), you recalled that, when traveling homeward bound on the bus, eons ago, and you knew you were heading in the right direction, when your transistor radio picked up "SEVENTY-SEVENNNNN, DOUBLYA AYYY-BEEE-SEEEEE!".

Ahhh, indeed, home was getting nearer! Very Happy

On another subject (re: my previous posting) I'm wondering how GREYHOUND drivers (and maintenance crews) liked driving (and working on) the rebuilt SCENICRUISERS.

Did the drivers notice better handling and performance, etc?

As always, appreciate your always informative input........ Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO--

When I got into the business in 1968, the Scenicruiser's had already been rebuilt with the Detroit Diesel 8v-71 and the Spicer 4-speed, for 6 or seven years. At that time, I wasn't too knowledgeable about the former setup, and so the subject didn't really come up in my conversation's with those that were around prior to the rebuilding. But I'm sure everyone involved liked the vast improvement... Wink
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO--

I think you know already, that driver's, and probably mechanic's as well, preferred to drive or work on the PD-4106...it was like a sports car in comparison for the driver's, and much less complicated for the mechanic's, even after the rebuild....

What the passenger's preferred, is another matter.... Wink Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NYO--

I think you know already, that driver's, and probably mechanic's as well, preferred to drive or work on the PD-4106...it was like a sports car in comparison for the driver's, and much less complicated for the mechanic's, even after the rebuild....

What the passenger's preferred, is another matter.... Wink Smile

traildriver:

As usual, appreciate the feedback....ALWAYS interesting! Wink

Yes, I have read that the 4106 more of a "sports car" than the hulking SCENICRUISER, and that the "mechanics" were indeed easier to service.

Though not a pleasant subject, you have to remember that the toilets on the buses (like those aboard trains and airliners) also had to be drained, cleaned, and serviced (and STILL do!)

In the novel "AIRPORT", the trucks used to siphon off the refuse from the airliners' toilets were referred to as "honey wagons"! Shocked

Indeed, NOT at all the most romantic of jobs in the transportation sector, for certain! Shocked

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "AIRPORT":

"......Mel braked hastily, avoiding a speeding 'honey wagon' , on its way from the ramp area to disgorge its malodorous four-hundred-gallon load from aircraft toilets......."

"........the load would eject into a shredding machine in a special building, a building which other airport employees avoided, and then pumped into city sewers......."

".........most times, the procedure worked most efficiently, except when passengers reported losses of various items, including dentures, wallets, purses, wallets-dropped into aircraft toilets. It happened at least once or twice a day. Then, loads had to be sifted, while everyone hoped that the missing item could be located quickly........"

Cannot help but wonder how GREYHOUND and TRAILWAYS handled such noisome "procedures".......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt, the siphoning off of toilet waste from GREYHOUND and TRAILWAYS buses had to be one of the least-desired tasks that, quite simply had no getting around it. Razz

This is an "operating procedure" that (AFAIK) has never been discussed in detail, previously (and, perhaps, for good reason!) Shocked

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Without a doubt, the siphoning off of toilet waste from GREYHOUND and TRAILWAYS buses had to be one of the least-desired tasks that, quite simply had no getting around it. Razz

This is an "operating procedure" that (AFAIK) has never been discussed in detail, previously (and, perhaps, for good reason!) Shocked

"NYO"

Actually, in most instances it is a lot simpler than what happens on an aircraft ramp.
You just park the bus in the proper spot on the service line, and the service person just opens a valve, and the tank dumps directly over a sewer type grate.
The fresh water is filled from the service bay with a direct coupling, then the tank is dumped a second time to flush it out. Then more fresh water, along with a chemical, is used to fill it to the proper level for service.

No 'honey wagon' is needed, except in a very few instances....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I always wondered why ice-water dispensers were not available on SCENICRUISERS or EAGLES......seems such a basic "frill"......... Question

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 11 of 73

Jump to: