BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also from "American Buses":

"........out of 'the Jazz Center' (New Orleans) a Trailways bus can only go three ways-south to Venice near the coast, nearly due west to Baton Rouge, and north to Jackson, via Bogalusa and Prentiss......"

This caption describes the huge "KIDS RIDE FREE" billboard at Dallas:

".........Trailways promotion of 'kids ride free'-one child per adult, midweek is a successful operation. Note that the maximum adult fare is now only $99, instead of the previous $149. That's cheap, indeed-the Trailways route map that could be San Diego to Portland, Maine. Or Seattle to Miami....."

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:50 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "quickie":

What were the last GREYHOUND and TRAILWAYS buses to use roller curtains, before electronic signage replaced them?

Thanks! Wink

*Just last night, on eBay, I saw someone selling a roller curtain from a PACIFIC GREYHOUND bus (nearly $400 smerckeroos!) Shocked

Well, at LEAST Your's Truly can dream; such signs most are nowe rarer then hen's teeth, these days! Shocked

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO--

Yes, back in the day, before deregulation, and all...driving for Greyhound was considered to be the very pinnacle of professional driving. And the compensation was tops in the industry. Those fortunate to work there in that era, did very well indeed.

I have known some whose career spanned fifty years! Some of them drove safely, close to four million miles...equivalent to over a dozen round tips to the moon, Alice! Shocked Laughing Laughing
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
also from "American Buses":

"........out of 'the Jazz Center' (New Orleans) a Trailways bus can only go three ways-south to Venice near the coast, nearly due west to Baton Rouge, and north to Jackson, via Bogalusa and Prentiss......"

".........Trailways promotion of 'kids ride free'-one child per adult, midweek is a successful operation. Note that the maximum adult fare is now only $99, instead of the previous $149. That's cheap, indeed-the Trailways route map that could be San Diego to Portland, Maine. Or Seattle to Miami....."

"NYO"

I don't know just when that book was written, but at some point around 1970, Colonial Trailways finally got rights from Mobile into New Orleans along I-10, US-90....giving Trailways four ways out of town. They previously had to go north to Jackson, before having connections east...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
also from "American Buses":

"NYO"

I don't know just when that book was written, but at some point around 1970, Colonial Trailways finally got rights from Mobile into New Orleans along I-10, US-90....giving Trailways four ways out of town. They previously had to go north to Jackson, before having connections east...

traildriver:

The book "AMERICAN BUSES" was published in 1985; to say the book is wonderfully dated is indeed and understatement! Wink

In the TRAILWAYS section, there are a umber of really neat photos showing buses being serviced, overhauled, and washed (dang, these mechanics were darn near brain surgeons!) Shocked

From the aforementioned book (this is from the TRAILWAYS section):

".......regular maintenance is fundamental to the operations of a successful bus line. Both Greyhound and Trailways endeavour to keep things running smoothly. Left, an overhauled GM Detroit Diesel V-8 is re-installed, complete with the Model 10's exclusive rear accessory direct driveshaft to the alternator and a/c compressor, thus eliminating long vee belts......"

"Right, we see just how dirty it can get under the wheel arch, close to the engine. All the components are quite hefty for long life, and are easy to get to for repairs....."

(the photos were taken at the Dallas maintenance depot)

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NYO--

Yes, back in the day, before deregulation, and all...driving for Greyhound was considered to be the very pinnacle of professional driving. And the compensation was tops in the industry. Those fortunate to work there in that era, did very well indeed.

I have known some whose career spanned fifty years! Some of them drove safely, close to four million miles...equivalent to over a dozen round tips to the moon, Alice! Shocked Laughing Laughing

traildriver:

The following is from an early 1960's-era GREYHOUND "Motorists Safety" comic book, "DRIVING LIKE A PRO" (the Hound driver, piloting a 4104, looks like a high-ranking Air Force official!):

Greyhound driver:

"......it costs Greyhound $1500 a student to make us the most thoroughly trained, most-in-demand drivers in surface transportation......."

".....they give us an intensive training course that for six long weeks in all the details of driving and safety, from 'GO' to 'STOP'......" (artwork shows a group of men in suits and ties in the classroom!)

Yes, indeed....once upon a time.........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the SCENICRUISER was still "the new kid on the block", this joke was becoming quite popular among drivers (this had to do with the SCENICRUISERS have "windshields" on both levels):

".....two crows are nesting west of Springfield, Missouri, and they missed no chance to fly over the windshields on oncoming buses and 'make a deposit'. They sat on a telephone line one day, as a new Scenicruiser approached. 'Shall we?', said one crow. 'Why not?', his friend replied.

.....they began to dive-bomb, caught unaware that the Scenicruiser had TWO levels!

....as they cleared the first windshield, the upper deck windshield caught them and knocked them for a loop!

".......finally, when they came to, the one crow said to his equally-dazed pal, 'Damn! Did you ever see a second section following so close?'......" Laughing Laughing

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I have no doubt that you will enjoy the following........ Wink

"NYO"

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2019/01/20/riding-the-dog-memories-of-greyhound-trips-past

(courtesy: Hemmings)

AWESOME, repeat, AWESOME photo of the 8th Avenue facade of the "Port Of Authority" circa-1954, with an 8th Avenue Old Look added as a bonus!!!!! Shocked Shocked
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I have no doubt that you will enjoy the following........ Wink

"NYO"

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2019/01/20/riding-the-dog-memories-of-greyhound-trips-past

(courtesy: Hemmings)

AWESOME, repeat, AWESOME photo of the 8th Avenue facade of the "Port Of Authority" circa-1954, with an 8th Avenue Old Look added as a bonus!!!!! Shocked Shocked

NYO--
wowsa wowsa!!
I just spent the morning reading that, along with all the great comments, to which I added my three cents worth...thanks so much for posting it!

The view of the front of The Port, was great...back when 8th Avenue had two way traffic. The windows on the second floor, to the left, on the 40th Street side, were where Trailways offices were, including the telephone information room where I got started in the business...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

You are MORE than welcome, my friend! Very Happy

I just had a hunch that you'd find this page a bit interesting! Wink

That old "Port-of-Authority"* photo was one heckuva BONUS; I got as excited as you did, when I first saw it! Shocked

Sadly, "The Port" is light-years removed from what it once was, way back in our much younger days (but, at least, we've got GREAT memories!) Very Happy

"NYO"

*Remember the original "Art Moderne" storefronts in the concourse?

My dad (LOVING TV westerns), enjoyed browsing through "Teepee Town"; Your's Truly, not surprisingly, was happier browsing through nearby "Hobby Mart"! Wink

I STILL remember a custom-painted "Silver Leaf Rapid Transit" HO model of an IRT Lo-V in the window; oh, man was a certain seven-year old in LOVE!!! Rolling Eyes

I also remember a LARGE (and expensive for that time) radio-controlled Fishbowl on display; dang, I wish I had one today!

I STILL have a few "goodies" from that store, some purchased nearly 60 years ago!! Wink

Mom always referred to the PABT shops as "nice stores", when we'd look back on the good old days, in much later years.....

"NYO"

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I recall some of the old stores...There was the large Walgreens' drug store with the soda fountain...the main Post and Coach full service restaurant and bar...there was 'Hofritz for Cutlery'...the Continental Trailways (ABL) ticket plaza...the barber shop...I still have a tooled western style "Looper" belt from that Teepee town...lots of driver's bought those... the hobby shop had nice stuff...Further down was the Trailways Tour office...I think there was a clothing store or two in there...can't recall them all...
on the 40th street side, after the major expansion in 1963 was the Greyhound Ticket Plaza, and right next door, the Trailway's (Safeway Trails, and TNE) plaza, behind them was the original 1950 RR style ticket windows used by all the suburban carrier's. Under the mezzanie waiting area was the Greyhound Travel Bureau...and beyond that was a few steps up to the general waiting room. Adjacent to that was the Adirondack ticket office, which had an entrance at the waiting room level, and another one on the main concourse level...Further down were the entrances to the Greyhound operations control tower, and driver's room, as well as the Port Dispatcher's control tower.

Remember when they had those treadles across each platform, to show the dispatcher whether a bus occupied them or not? As each bus entered the 40th Street entrance portal, the driver paused, then the port dispatcher would see the bus number, check his dispatch assignment sheet supplied by each carrier, and then flash the gate number to the driver on an electronic sign, which also had an arrow indicating whether to use the inside or outside lane.

Recall the Post and Coach Restaurant counters on the lower level? And the Armed Forces Police booth? And the restrooms that offered showers? The coin lockers? The two baggage and package express rooms? You could check your bag right to your final destination, right there. After getting out of your taxi on the indoor roadway...how very civilized back then....
Back up on the main concourse was the Port police station. At the other end between the lower level and the main concourse, was the subway mezzanine level, with a few more stores.

Then up on the Suburban level (2nd floor) were several more shops and restaurants like the Commuter's Spa. And bars. And at the 9th avenue end, the Mid City Lanes bowling alley. Later on the lottery booths, and there was the shoe repair shop...At the end was the offices of Trailways on one side, and the Port Authority on the 41st Street side. The CTS International sales department also had an office there.

Then on the third floor, the former upper bus level, was the island platforms for the short haul suburban buses. Now up to the fourth floor, the former roof top parking, was now the new upper bus level, with sawtooth gates for the middle distance bus services. Along with another Post and Coach snack bar.

Then, added on in 1963, when Greyhound moved in and the terminal was reorganized, were the three new auto parking levels...5th, 6th, and 7th floors. You could go up the elevator to the top deck on a nice day, and get a pretty good view of the city and the Hudson and the Palisades from there,
There weren't too many tall buildings in that end of town other than the old McGraw-Hill tower on 42nd Street to block your view...

I was 'out west' when they added the North Wing in 1979...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Man, you REALLY recalled "The Good Old Days" of the old "Port"!! Wink

There was also a toy section in WALGREENS (I still have two tin friction GREYHOUND/TRAILWAYS 4106's that Mom bought me, back around 1964!)

My godmother went to a small wedding reception (about 1962) at the old POST & COACH on the main level; it was quite stylish, for the day!

There was also a ladies' shop (perhaps "Lerner's"?) where Mom once bought a big straw hat to wear when we went on the Circle Line, or took the BMT out to Coney Island.

There was also, on the second level, a bowling alley.

Remember, too, entering on a suburban bus, and, just as the bus entered the building, on your right, was a HUGE vat with tons of water flowing through it (this still is in my mind today; was it part of the terminal's cooling system?)

Even today, I STILL get thirsty, when I remember the water gushing through this "vat"!

Dang, I can't believe how much is changed to the point where little or nothing is recognizeable.......Sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Port-of-Authority"* (as the folks in my neighborhood called it, when I was growing up; Connie Francis also did likewise!) Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Authority_Bus_Terminal

*The stylish, sleek, "Moderne" terminal of 1950 we older fellows knew so well is now history; today's "new and improved" bus terminal, simply speaking, leaves me cold...... Razz
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-dating the SCENICRUISER by several years, this Spanish coach indeed has a "familiar" look........ Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegaso_Z-403
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was searching for rare interior views of the old Port, and discovered this link among the photo's shown....it has some amazing pictures and detailed information on the old Pennsylvania and Captiol Greyhound Terminal's, that I have never seen before...

https://www.drivingfordeco.com/vanished-new-york-city-art-deco-the-pennsylvania-capitol-greyhound-terminals/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 10 of 73

Jump to: