BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

Something else I've been curious about for quite awhile; back in the day, were there more SCENICRUISERS to be seen in the New York lots, or 4104's/4106's, or, roughly about 50/50?

In "AMERICAN BUSES" (David Jacobs, 1985) there is a photo showing the interior of the TRAILWAYS offices at 625 8th Avenue in Manhattan (there's a NICE model Eagle in this photo as well!) Very Happy .

"NYO"

I can't be certain of the proportion, not ever really taking notice of it...but my "gut guess", say in around 1968, the year I started in the business, about maybe one in five schedules in The Port were held down with Scenicruiser's. I am basing this on the fact that the Scenicruiser's at that time, constituted about one in six of the entire 6,000 strong (!) national fleet. And since New York City was the terminus of many of the very long distance thru routes that they tended to assign to Scenicruiser's, they were somewhat more seen there.
The majority of schedules at The Port, were held down with 4104's, 4106's, 4107's, MC-5's, the two MC-6X experimental's, and at the end of that year, the first batch of new MC-7's.
Meanwhile, over at Trailways, The Eagles (Silver and a few Golden), were seriously taking over from 4104's, 4106's, 4107's...perhaps one in three or four at that point. At the end of that year, a few 4903's joined the mix...

I would love to see a photo of the Trailways offices in the Port. I started in the telephone information room there for a couple of months in April of that year, and then was promoted to ticket agent. Smile
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greyhound drivers of the "Olden Days".........

While watching the 1934 classic comedy earlier, "IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT", and seeing "Hound" drivers in military-style uniforms, got me to thinking of how TOUGH these fellows had to be, to drive a highway coach back in the 1930's.

Manual transmissions, no power steering, no air-conditioning, no super-highways, expressways, freeways, or multi-lane turnpikes.....these drivers had to truly "ROUGH IT"!!!!! Shocked

I'm willing to wager that these early "Hound" drivers indeed got one heckuva workout, every time they piloted their brutish buses from point "A" to "B"! (no need to head to one of the "old school" gyms of that era!) Rolling Eyes

Too, think of all the rest stops/meal stops en route, at little roadside stands and other local establishments; in 1929, the era of the true "modern" GREYHOUND terminal began when the new San Antonio station opened, featuring a novel mezzanine where baggage men loaded luggage directly to the rooftop luggage racks of waiting buses.

Too, think of the times if a bus became disabled (or otherwise stranded) in a more rural area; how far would a driver have to walk to find a telephone to call for assistance?

Yup, without a doubt, the resilient "Hound" drivers of that era were indeed "IRON MEN", in every sense of the word.

Back in the 1960's, surely, there were still older drivers who could still recall the days of front-engine buses, humble roadside stands, and military-style uniforms, which they clearly were proud of......

"NYO"

When I started in 1968, there were indeed many of the "pioneer driver's", with seniority dates from the mid 1920's! They loved to tell tall tales to the young driver's of the wild and crazy things they did back in the day.

Some of it may even have been true! Confused Shocked Confused Laughing
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

As usual, you MORE than outdid yourself, response-wise....thanks!!!! Wink

In later years, I, personally (now in my teens) thought it indeed a sign that "things were indeed a-changin'" that SCENICRUISERS were now the "senior citizens" of the GREYHOUND fleet, and, now, were playing "second fiddle" to the newer coaches.

However, I cannot, in all honesty, remember seeing any "bison" running for "The Hound" ( DID see plenty for other carriers, though!)

I think that (IMHO) that you knew things were really changing, when you started to see more of the "Combo Car" conversions on the road; indeed, the Mighty Hath Fallen (I still call the combo cars "pack mules"!)

Even on the toy front, you were certainly seeing far, far less toy buses in the stores than you did a decade earlier; and, unless you frequented a small "candy store" or older five-and-ten, what you did find was plastic instead of tin (this was a time when tin toys, when you DID find them, had more plastic incorporated into their construction......no matter, I still bought what I found, anyway!)Wink

I also recall seeing fewer GREYHOUND commercials on television; one that sticks in my mind (though, even with my memory, it's a bit fuzzy) had two drivers (or mechanics?) alongside a bus, singing a song about GREYHOUND, and the one guy needed a word that that rhymed, I think, with "fussy".

The one fellow sang out something like, "take a GREYHOUND "bussy"; his friend gave him an odd look and said, 'Bussy' "??

Then came the musical GREYHOUND jingle (this commercial, I believe, was in the late 1960's)

More recently, though still eons ago, I can remember the late, great Pearl Bailey also doing a GREYHOUND commercial or two.

And, so, the years ramblin' along, at too fast a pace.......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun May 31, 2020 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Greyhound drivers of the "Olden Days".........

While watching the 1934 classic comedy earlier, "IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT", and seeing "Hound" drivers in military-style uniforms, got me to thinking of how TOUGH these fellows had to be, to drive a highway coach back in the 1930's.

Manual transmissions, no power steering, no air-conditioning, no super-highways, expressways, freeways, or multi-lane turnpikes.....these drivers had to truly "ROUGH IT"!!!!! Shocked

I'm willing to wager that these early "Hound" drivers indeed got one heckuva workout, every time they piloted their brutish buses from point "A" to "B"! (no need to head to one of the "old school" gyms of that era!) Rolling Eyes

Too, think of all the rest stops/meal stops en route, at little roadside stands and other local establishments; in 1929, the era of the true "modern" GREYHOUND terminal began when the new San Antonio station opened, featuring a novel mezzanine where baggage men loaded luggage directly to the rooftop luggage racks of waiting buses.

Too, think of the times if a bus became disabled (or otherwise stranded) in a more rural area; how far would a driver have to walk to find a telephone to call for assistance?

Yup, without a doubt, the resilient "Hound" drivers of that era were indeed "IRON MEN", in every sense of the word.

Back in the 1960's, surely, there were still older drivers who could still recall the days of front-engine buses, humble roadside stands, and military-style uniforms, which they clearly were proud of......

"NYO"

When I started in 1968, there were indeed many of the "pioneer driver's", with seniority dates from the mid 1920's! They loved to tell tall tales to the young driver's of the wild and crazy things they did back in the day.

Some of it may even have been true! Confused Shocked Confused Laughing

traildriver:

I have seen, in the past, a few photos of GREYHOUND driver W.G. "Red" Vickers; the newest photo I have seen of him was taken in 1964 (this one in the "GREYHOUND SCENICRUISER" book by McNally and Rayman) taken with his SCENICRUISER at the St. Petersburg garage.

He was clearly in his 50's, and, he had the look of a true dapper "veteran"!

He was the type of fellow I wish I could have had as a pal, all the better to simply sit and listen to his many tales recalling "The Trail Of The Hound", back in the "olden days"!

There are also a few other driver's reminisces in this book; one retired driver, John Adams, recalled (among other things) the first time he got behind the wheel of a SCENICRUISER!

His recollections are too many to put down here, but, it is clear that he indeed had some VERY interesting experiences behind the wheel!

I DO have one book written by an ex-HOUND driver, "MEMOIRS OF A GREYHOUND BUS DRIVER" (Grady Hall Morgan)

It is a most interesting read; though I wish that bus photos weren't so scarce within its pages!

My favorite chapter, not surprisingly, is Chapter 12:

"THE INSIDE STORY OF GREYHOUND BUS DRIVERS"

One photo is a real hoot, showing Mr. Morgan during the 1983 strike, holding a picket sign while wearing a "GO TRAILWAYS" T-shirt!!

The following chapter, "THE DAY OF THE BIG STRIKE", is also quite interesting

Yup, those old "veterans", indeed, saw it all.......... Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629"
In later years, I, personally (now in my teens) thought it indeed a sign that "things were indeed a-changin'" that SCENICRUISERS were now the "senior citizens" of the GREYHOUND fleet, and, now, were playing "second fiddle" to the newer coaches.

However, I cannot, in all honesty, remember seeing and "bison" running for "The Hound" ( DID see plenty for other carriers, though!)....

"NYO"[/quote]

The Scenicruiser's pretty much held their 'premier status' in the Greyhound fleet, holding down all of the coast to coast thru routes, as well as other very long distance thru routes until the MC-7 slowly started knocking them off these assignments in 1969 until about 1971. They started on the northernmost Chicago-Minneapolis-Seattle route due to heating problems on the old Scenicruiser's, and gradually 'worked their way' south. New York-Chicago- Cheyenne- California came next, and then routes via St. Louis, then Memphis, and finally New Orleans were 'converted' to MC-7's. At that time, they started converting some into 'combo's', and sold other's to other carrier's.

As for 'buffalo's'...one route that used 4107's almost exclusively that ran thru New York, was the thru Montreal-Miami schedule. They also used them on the summertime Montreal-Atlantic City pool with Lincoln Transit. For some reason, Greyhound did not seem to run Scenicruiser's into Montreal.
Most of the 4107's in the GL fleet, I believe were in the SGL, CGL, or WGL fleets...not many in the Eastern fleet.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When one is remembering some of the most notable "character's" that drove intercity buses in the past, the name that invariably will come up is that of the legendary ABL driver, George Jameson. George was a Pittsburgh based driver for the greater part of his long career, and was instantly recognized by his large trademark handlebar mustache. George was some kind of auxiliary police in his hometown, and was well known by bus driver's and police everywhere, as he would always visit with them and swap tales at rest stops. Or he would simply pull over and chat with them at some of the tunnel portals on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
George was known as a fast runner, very skilled at handling his Eagle, but would do many questionable practices, like using "Georgia overdrive" (coasting), to gain extra speed on long down grades. And the stories about him are endless...

In one story, he was a relief driver from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh on a NY-LA trip. The NY driver got off, told the passenger's another driver would be taking over after the rest stop, and leave.
George would get on, wearing a large non-uniform overcoat covering his uniform and cap, and would plop down in a passenger seat. Ten minutes after the trip was due to leave, he would loudly ask where the driver was.
No one could answer. George waited another couple of minutes, and would ask impatiently again. Again no answer. He would make a show of looking at his watch, and complain loudly that he had to be someplace. Finally George announced that if the driver did not show up in five more minutes, he was going to drive the bus, himself.
That got everyone's attention. The time came and went, and true to his word, George got up, slid behind the wheel, fumbled with the switches, closed the door, grinded the gearshift into first, released the brakes, and jerked the bus forward, to a chorus of shouts and gasps from the passengers.

George then stopped, got up, turned to face the passenger's, then removed his overcoat and put on his cap, and took a bow, and then told the passengers he was just playing a joke on them, and that he was the driver, and not to worry, he was very experienced and would get them into Pittsburgh on time. Which he did.

Another "George move", was to tail behind Greyhound buses for miles and miles on night runs, and then drop back out of sight, turn off all his lights, and then sneak up again behind the Greyhound. And then he would fly past, and as he drew abreast would turn all his lights back on and blast his air horn.

There are many more tails of George...most of them...are true! Laughing
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Appreciate both the bus information and, also, the recounting of the legendary "George's" antics.........I think we would have been good pals, as I (like one of my late brothers) always loved pulling little pranks that would, indeed, get everyone's attention, one way or another! Rolling Eyes

Recall the one scene in "IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT", where a group of musicians start an impromptu sing-a-long (quite rousing!) with the then-popular "The Man On The Flying Trapeze", that had everyone on the New York-bound bus singing!

This reminded of reading (perhaps on the old "Don's Greyhound Memories" site?) about this older Hound driver with a deep bass voice, who used to start a song en-route, and, usually, get everyone on board joining in (this was during the 40's, I believe)

Sure sounded like fun! Very Happy

On a more sobering note, it is sad to think that the "old school" fellows who droves such classics as the SCENICRUISERS and old EAGLES are now either very elderly, or, sadly, no longer with us. Sad

I am sure that, for every Hound and "Big Red" driver, back in the day, there had to be quite a few VERY interesting stories about them, and more than a few memorable, endearing "characters"! Wink

Looking at old GREYHOUND and TRAILWAYS photos, photos where the dapper drivers are standing beside their buses, it is quite clear that these gents of another age obviously were QUITE proud of what they did for a living.....and no wonder!

Too, I think it's fun to image the collective "ahhhhhhs" from both drivers and passengers, back in the days when air-conditioning began to be introduced!

Years ago, I purchased a miniature GREYHOUND driver figure (jointed plastic); he has the "running dog" on the front and back of his jacket, and, perhaps not surprisingly, he looks quite pleased and proud of himself!Very Happy

I never saw one of these again on eBay; I think I only paid like five bucks! Wink

Gotta keep the memories of "The Trail Of The Hound" alive for generations to come! Smile

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brings to mind a couple more 'character's'....

There was an EGL driver, I believe named Bob Marr who used to drive New York to Providence or Boston. He would give his usual "spiel" to passenger's about, for their convenience, there was a restroom on board, in the right rear of the coach. He then would add, "for the benefit of the Naval personnel on board, the head is in the fantail, starboard".... Very Happy

Another great "P.A. Artist", was Adirondack driver "Captain" Mike Nerad.
He was based in Syracuse. He was originally from Czechoslovakia, and defected to the West from the Soviet Air Force. He became an airline pilot for several regional airlines over a quarter of a century, and eventually his Company had furloughed him
To put food on his family's table, he took up driving a bus. In his PA announcement approaching the Port, he would instruct passenger's to "please raise your seatbacks, to their full upright position, to facilitate the exiting of the coach. Thankyou..." Cool
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Now THESE are "characters" worth knowing! Wink

Two of the DOMENICO tour drivers I had (early/mid 1990's) were, indeed, characters, much to the enjoyment of the passengers.

One older fellow, Bill Lipscombe, was from New Orleans (and still had family there) and was a font of trivia and information on classic jazz, especially "Noo Awlins" jazz!

He's also do a MEAN imitation of Louis Armstrong singing "Hello, Dolly!" Very Happy

He would kind of laugh afterwards, and say, "Don't worry, folks, there's no cover charge for the entertainment!"

Then there was Mark Driver, who could have been Sidney Poitier's twin brother; he always joked about his last name, and, on the first day out, got on the PA and told the passengers: "If you ever forget my name, just remember what I do for a living!"

Mark, like Bill, was personable, likeable, friendly, and informative: I was quite sad to learn that Mark passed away less than a decade after my last DOMENICO tour (to Myrtle Beach, with a side trip to Charleston)

He was only in his early 50's, if I recall correctly; he left us far, far too early (RIP) Sad

More locally, one ACADEMY driver (the rush hour Boulevard East run that I used for years), "Ricardo", used to greet passengers (I was always the first to board at Nungessers, in fact, the only one!) with: "Welcome aboard the 'limousine'!"

This is what he called the 3200 series Flex Metros, that had upholstered, high-backed seating.

If it were one of the Metros usually assigned to the "#22" (with hard plastic seats), he'd say, "No limo today, they stuck me with the cattle car"! Laughing

A very good friend of mine, "Sal", drove some of the last Fishbowls on the old NHBL #1 (JSQ-Nungessers), in the mid-90's (he was also a dead-ringer for Desi Arnaz!)

He HATED, repeated, HATED the dollar-van drivers, and always referred to them as "cowboys"! Wink

Yup, the bus industry indeed had its share of memorable characters, back in the day!

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun May 31, 2020 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another inquiry for the always-knowledgeable "traildriver"....... Wink

At the end of a long-haul trip, where did GREYHOUND (also, TRAILWAYS) put up their drivers for the night?

Did such drivers have to take out a bus heading back the next day, or, did they get a (well-deserved) day or two off?

Also, I'm curious about seniority, and drivers getting to choose (or pick) the routes they wanted.

The first time I can remember seeing GREYHOUND drivers "up close" was at the old terminal next to Penn Station; later, we'd often see a few GREYHOUND) and TRAILWAYS drivers at "The Port".

In later years, Mom recalled: "They looked like they were in the military."

Right on, Mom! Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hound history preserved in Cleveland (w/photos)........ Wink

https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/467
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hound history preserved in Cleveland (w/photos)........ Wink

https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/467

Outstanding! I have a copy of that book on Arrasmith terminal's mentioned...highly recommend it!

Be sure to click this link contained within that first article, for more photo's...
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2015/03/greyhouse_terminal_in_clevelan.html

The Cleveland Terminal was always a favorite of mine thru the years...both for its outstanding architecture, as well as its location, and the variety of schedules, both local and transcontinental that called there. The Post House Restaurant used to really hum with activity, and not mentioned in that article was there was also a separate cocktail lounge. There was a shoeshine stand, a barber shop, Gordon's Pillow Service had facilities to rent traveler's pillows...there were shower's available in the old rest rooms....every convenience for the traveler of the mid-century. Many of the gates were designed for thru coaches...a separate line and door for returning rest stop passenger's, or those just joining a trip either originating, or transfering from another trip. Scenicruiser's held down most of the thru trips. The gates also contained fuel pumps.

Directly across the street, was the Trailways Terminal, a fraction of the size of the Greyhound terminal.
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another inquiry for the always-knowledgeable "traildriver"....... Wink

At the end of a long-haul trip, where did GREYHOUND (also, TRAILWAYS) put up their drivers for the night?

Did such drivers have to take out a bus heading back the next day, or, did they get a (well-deserved) day or two off?

Also, I'm curious about seniority, and drivers getting to choose (or pick) the routes they wanted.

The first time I can remember seeing GREYHOUND drivers "up close" was at the old terminal next to Penn Station; later, we'd often see a few GREYHOUND) and TRAILWAYS drivers at "The Port".

In later years, Mom recalled: "They looked like they were in the military."

Right on, Mom! Wink

"NYO"

In New York City, most of the driver's were on "turnaround trips", so that the Company did not have to pay expensive hotel bills. This was true in a lot of other places across the country, as well. It certainly worked out better for "family men", to be in their own homes every night. When longer runs occured, driver's did have to rest before returning. At least 8 to 10 hours between assignments. In some cases, where there was only a single daily trip on a certain schedule, and due to scheduling optimum's...situations occured where the driver would "just miss" getting enough time off for the return trip, and so had to spend over a full day laying over. The schedule planner's would try to avoid this, but in order for a trip to serve stations at the optimum times, and in order to make connections downline, this was not always possible. Sometimes, in these situations, the company would make the 'away' location the home terminal for driver's on that run, but then another can of worms developed, when no one lived at that end, or wanted to. Then they would have to "force assign" some junior driver there. And then they would have to "deadhead" driver's to cover any vacancies that might occur there, far from the nearest home terminal based with extra board reserve drivers...a whole lot for planner's to consider...

As for accommodations....historically, not so great. Greyhound in a lot of locations would operate their own dormitories in terminal's and garages. New York City is one of the last places that still does that (located in 2 sub basement levels in the MTA's Quill Depot, that was sold by the old Greyhound Corporation to the MTA. The MTA had no use for them, so agreed to lease them to Greyhound Lines. If that is full, Greyhound uses the Red Roof Inn motel in Secaucus for overloads.

When I worked for Safeway Trails, we had four 'Company' rooms at the old Dixie Hotel (now Carter), which was a bus terminal prior to The Port. The old bus turntable in the basement is still in place (now a parking garage).
These hotel rooms were specifically assigned to certain runs that required driver rest. If necessary, we would book additional rooms for overloads.
Continental Trailways driver's coming in from Pittsburgh, also needed rooms, but the company did not provide them. Instead, they gave a room allowance for the driver's to find their own. It was not enough to get a very nice room, so many of the regular driver's on a trip, which worked two days on, one day off, would pool their money and lease an apartment. Or as is known in the airline business...a "crash pad".
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO--
Seniority.
One of the most cherished practices in the business, especially if unionized, is seniority governing the choice of work assignments, days off, vacation time, etc.
In these companies, your date or time of hire, will stay with you for your entire career. If you start your career at a later age, you may retire before you every work your way into the very top of the seniority list.

Most companies have a "pick" or "bid" at least once a year, sometimes, two, three, four, or even more times. Depends on the specific labor agreement or "contract" that is negotiated.

The Company and the Union will sit down, and try to put all the schedules together as couplets or sometimes more than two trips, into "regular" assignments, or jobs. Once a driver chooses in seniority order, this will be his job until the next pick...unless he is displaced by a senior driver, that may be returning to work from some sort of disability, or has lost his assignment due to a reduction of schedules. Sometimes there are odd schedules left, that don't seem to 'fit' with any other's...these trips are then run off the 'extra board'.
The extra board or reserve board, is a pool of driver's assigned at each driver base, to cover sudden vacancies, extra section's, charter's, tours, or other non scheduled work. There must be a large enough pool of these to cover all wok. If not, "regular" driver's on regular jobs, can make themselves available at 'overtime' in some cases, to work their days off.

Some companies retirement is based on the final five years or so of earnings...this then causes a situation, where senior driver's will hold regular jobs during the slow season, and then bid the extra board during the busy season to inflate their earnings for the final years.

Extra boards have some "sharp-shooter's"....these are experienced driver's who try to situate themself in position on the extra board, in order to receive an upcoming "plum" assignment. They do this by constantly checking their position on the board, and monitoring all known work coming up, and what other extra board driver's are doing. They then will "book off" or back on, using all available means to put themselves in the ideal position.

Extra board work is usually not by seniority, but rather on a "first in, first out, rotating basis.

Some companies, usually non union, do not operate strictly by seniority. In those, merit determines plum assignments, with the best driver's being handpicked for the most prestigious work. The same with equipment...some companies assign the newest buses to their favorite driver's on down....

There's a whole lot more to this...I've just scratched the surface, but I hope this gives you the idea of how it works...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

BEYOND comprehensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked

I DO indeed thank you, my friend, for (again!) taking the time to post such in-depth and fascinating information regarding "long-haul" bus operations of years past......truly intriguing and fascinating!

In the old book I have mentioned, "AMERICAN BUSES" (Jacobs, 1985), there is a photo of a 40-ish fellow who was a Hound driver; he is seen at the PABT, busily jotting something down onto a pad.

The caption tells us that this driver was "Bob Ames", who, "works out of the Port Authority terminal, usually on short-haul, local trips."

There is another photo in this book I really like (also in the "GREYHOUND" section), showing an older "veteran", alongside his bus, waiting to begin his next trip.

The photo caption also states that this proud-looking "old timer" was E. J. Ross, who was then (1985) driving for GREYHOUND for 37 years (imagine the buses this proud gent drove, over the years!)

The caption also tells us that he drove mostly out of Dallas, and, mostly to Memphis.

Mr. Ross also : "ran a tight ship, on his four days on, two days off schedule"

Indeed , for these old Veterans Of The Highways, the job was far more than a career......it was, indeed, a way of life, that often lasted an entire working lifetime....... Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 9 of 73

Jump to: