BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Cruise Ship Companies: What Is The Future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Triangle"........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_Triangle
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recalling the graceful "QUEEN OF BERMUDA".......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Queen_of_Bermuda
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also ("THE QUEEN OF BERMUDA, RECALLED IN 1939"):

www.oceanliner.org/miller.htm
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Truly amazing what technology can do! Shocked

On another note, I wonder how modern-day cruise ship "skippers" regard the infamous "Bermuda Triangle". Confused

Pre-COVID, when ships were OOS either for inspection or maintenance, did the individual cruise ship companies have their own facilities for layups, or, have to rely on private shipyards?

I'm guessing that there must be quite a few now-idle ships that are now silently awaiting the return to service, moored far from their home ports.....

"NYO"

I have sailed thru the Bermuda Triangle many times, and never saw anything unique about it, other than an occasional onboard lecture about its history and folklore, just for entertainment value....

Once a cruise ship leaves it builder and/or fitting out yard, it goes right into service, the sooner the better to pay itself off. It doesn't layup at all, until either it experiences some maintenance issue, or goes in for its periodic scheduled maintenance, or goes into a drydock for refurbishment. So ship lines don't spend money on storage facilities.

This global pandemic is a whole other matter, and ships have been scattered all over ("any port in a storm"), awaiting return to service. Ship lines have to pay to dock in these facilities, and sometimes just keep some offshore, with a skeleton crew, and rotate these in and out of available ports, for resupply or recrewing, until they can be returned to service.

Some older ships are simply scrapped, ahead of original schedule, unless some buyer can be found, but pretty difficult in these times...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

VERY sad....but most interesting....thanks for sharing this information (I now I am recalling the old "Hudson River Ghost Fleet")

I had not thought of some ships being moored offshore; I aam sure that makes for some interesting situations when the weather gets a bit rough.

Speaking of layup facilities, recall, years ago, when the St. George terminal area held layup slips for the Ferry?

There used to be the east and west layup slips adjacent to the terminal (I know that the area has changed quite a bit since I last visited in 1997); and, also, recall the Ferry's long-established maintenece base at the old Pier 7, Tompkinsville (where are the ferries maintained today?)

Of course, it is one thing to have "layup" facilities for harbor ferryboats, but, quite another thing for a cruise ship company to have a similar "setup" for its fleet.

When the world finally begins to see some signs of a return to even anything close to "normal", it is going to be a tremendous undertaking, to be sure, to "jump start" the cruise industry back to life, most especially in getting the ships prepped for a return to service.......
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get just a bit "off topic", here, for a moment......

Regarding the Staten Island Ferry, in the small softcover 1964 book by George W. Hilton, "THE STATEN ISLAND FERRY", there is one photo that has always puzzled me a bit.

The photo shows "THE KNICKERBOCKER" entering her slip; it is very hazy in the background, and you cannot tell if the boat is either entering Whitehall Street or St. George.

In the left background, almost looking like a ghost ship in the haze, you see what appears to be a two-stacked liner.

Now, on one hand, this could not be St. George, for the ship in the background (heading towards the left of the picture) would then be heading up Kill Van Kull; this doesn't "click" with me, unless she was heading to a shipyard on the east side of the Bayonne Bridge.

If, however, the photo was taken of the "KNICKERBOCKER" arriving at Whitehall Street, then the ship in the background would be heading up the East River (to the Brooklyn Navy Yard, perhaps?)

Faint as the ship in the background is, there are no sign of any tugs.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the same book:

".......in this area, the course of the Ferry is almost identical with that of passenger liners between Ambrose Channel and their berths on the North River. The Ferry, is, in fact, one of the best means of watching and photographing transatlantic liners......"

".......southbound trips of the Ferry between 7 AM and 9 AM are particularly recommended for passing inbound liners......."

".......newspapers should be consulted for passing inbound liners, but, during the summer months, there are frequently sailings around noon at 4PM from the North River piers......."

"..........also, the Ferry departures from the St. George terminal at 12:15 PM,and 12:30 PM, as well as the early evening rush hour trips, are quite favorable for viewing outbound ships....."

".......if one wishes to see a particular passenger liner outbound from a North River pier, he should plan to leave St. George on a Whitehall Street-bound ferry approximately 45 minutes after the liner's scheduled departure time. If the liner is on schedule, the Ferry will pass her in the Upper Bay......."

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "THE STATEN ISLAND FERRY" (Theodore W. Scull, 1982)......

".......for many, the passenger liner is the most sought-after ship to see while riding the ferry. Passenger ships roughly follow the saame path the ferry takes, through the Upper Bay......."

"......to see the ships at close range, check the daily "Shipping & Mails" notice in the New York Times for the time of departure from the Passenger Ship Terminal, up the Hudson. If they actually cast off as advertised, the liners should pass the Statue of Liberty about 45 minutes later....."

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ferry is still a good place to see outbound cruise ships. In my experience, when ships leave the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, they usually pass The Statue around thirty minutes later, the Verrazzano Bridge sixty minutes later, and disembark the pilot at Ambrose two hours later...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

The following is from Mr. Cudahy's book "AROUND MANHATTAN ISLAND", in the chapter documenting his 1995 cruise to Bermuda on the "DREAMWARD".......

".....just beyond the entrances to the Ambrose and Sandy Hook Channels is the area where vessels either pick up or drop off their harbor pilots......"

"........because of the traffic coming into New York, plus the fact that the pilot station is relatively far from the shore base, a larger 'station boat' patrols the area near Ambrose light, and serves as a lounge, or even a dormitory, where pilots stay between outbound and inbound assignments.....

"........these pilots ride from the station boat to and from their assignments aboard more-conventional pilot launches; the station boat drifts within a triangular area of roughly five square miles, that is defined by the entrances to each channel and Ambrose light......."

".......the pilots who took 'DREAMWARD' and 'HORIZON' out on Saturday afternoon were scheduled to remain on the station boat overnight, and bring in 'SONG OF AMERICA' and 'MERIDIAN' the next morning......"

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also of interest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrose_Channel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Harbor *

*(here's a really interesting, "in depth" look at the harbor!)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting historical page on the long-forgotten Ambrose Channel pilot cable.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrose_Channel_pilot_cable
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Here's an interesting historical page on the long-forgotten Ambrose Channel pilot cable.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrose_Channel_pilot_cable

That is indeed an interesting bit of navigational history, that I was unaware of, thanks for posting...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

You are quite welcome! Very Happy

I visited the old AMBROSE lightship at the once-bustling South Street Seaport Museum many times over the years; I also well remember the news of the ship collision with the "Texas Tower" Ambrose light station, back in the 1990's.

In the classic 1956 "I LOVE LUCY" episode, "BON VOYAGE", there is a quick scene showing a "tugboat-style" pilot boat, which Lucy was supposed to be aboard, after he missed the sailing of the "CONSTITUTION".

(I also have an early 1960's tin litho "HARBOR PILOT" boat in my collection!)

With the cruise ships currently OOS, it would seem that just about the only traffic entering/leaving NY Harbor would be the container ships and tankers......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Links of interest......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Hook_pilot *

www.sandyhookpilots.com

(*Interesting page!) Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 6 of 21

Jump to: