BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Cruise Ship Companies: What Is The Future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed on the Liberty OTS when she was homeported at Bayonne a few years ago.
The Oasis was scheduled to be there this past summer, but the pandemic put the kabosh to that happenning....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I sailed on the Liberty OTS when she was homeported at Bayonne a few years ago.
The Oasis was scheduled to be there this past summer, but the pandemic put the kabosh to that happenning....

traildriver:

At least you were lucky to cruise aboard this ship, while the world was still "normal" (the pre-COVID era)

As I had mentioned earlier in this topic, Brian Cudahy's excellent book, "AROUND MANHATTAN ISLAND, AND OTHER TALES OF MARITIME NEW YORK", he devotes a chapter to cruising to Bermuda and back via the "DREAMWARD"; I learned quite a bit about the highly-intricate "workings" of modern cruise ships from Mr. Cudahy's in-depth detailing! Wink

I just heard on 1010 WINS earlier that, due to the pandemic, the airline industry has lost all of its gains for the past two decades; indeed, this is MOST sobering.....one can only imagine the money lost by the cruise ship operators, due to the pandemic....... Sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....I cannot even begin to fathom the staggering sums mounting with all the cruise ships out of work for so long........one has to think of routine upkeep, inspections, etc........when things finally start to return to normal, there is going to be a mountain of work to accomplish......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMPRESSIVE photos of IMPRESSIVE vessels* on this page:

https://www.questionsanswered.net/article/the-10-biggest-cruise-ships-in-the-world

It is interesting to ponder just where these seagoing behemoths are now docked, and how much money is being lost each day they remain idle.

"Basic upkeep", alone, has to be a huge financial outlay, while these ships remain OOS.......

"NYO"

*These huge ships are indeed floating "resorts"; all one needs is aboard..... again, their sheer monolithic size is truly breath-taking......
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Ship Of Many Names":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Ocean_Star_Pacific

A handsome, early cruise ship with an interesting story......
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister ships.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Dragon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Formosa_Queen
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Just came across this item (from 2020); thought you might be interested.....

"NYO"

www.thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-bookings-strong-despite-coronavirus
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting......

www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/cruiseline.php?line=Carnival
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Just came across this item (from 2020); thought you might be interested.....

"NYO"

www.thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-bookings-strong-despite-coronavirus

Yes...I am one of them!
Booked on a 30 July 2021 and waiting to book on a January 2023... Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Ahoy, Matey! Very Happy

I'm keeping my fingers (and toes!) crossed that all goes well, and you will (once again!) be sailing the Seven Seas! Very Happy

(If you do get to cruise, BE SURE to share all the interesting accounts of your voyage(s)! Wink

GOTTA ask this:

Have you toured the engine rooms of any of the ships you sailed on?

I'm willing to wager those "down below" areas would be light-years removed from the classic liners of old, unless, here and there, there is still, at least, some propulsion equipment that at least hints at the "old days".........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his excellent book, "AROUND MANHATTAN ISLAND AND OTHER MARITIME TALES OF NEW YORK", Brian J. Cudahy goes into much fascinating detail about the "father-and-son" diesel engines aboard the "DREAMWARD", which, according to Mr. Cudahy, is pretty much standard on modern cruise ships......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Ahoy, Matey! Very Happy

I'm keeping my fingers (and toes!) crossed that all goes well, and you will (once again!) be sailing the seven seas! Very Happy

(If you do get to cruise, BE SURE to share all the interesting accounts of your voyage(s)! Wink

GOTTA ask this:

Have you toured the engine rooms of any of the ships you sailed on?

I'm willing to wager those "down below" areas would be light-years removed from the classic liners of old, unless, here and there, there is still, at least, some propulsion equipment that at least hints at the "old days".........

"NYO"

I have not...they no longer will take passengers into the engine room, mainly for liability reasons, but they do offer "behind the scene's" tours of various crew only area's, including the engine control room, which consists of various computer terminals monitoring the health and performance of the machinery, as well as live video of the actual machinery. Some tours also will take you on a brief visit to the navigation bridge...
Other area's include the galley, store rooms, environmental area including water desalinization system crew lounges, ship laundry, backstage area and performer dressing room, etc.....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I was hoping that you did get at least one or two engine room tours, at some point; yes, liability would indeed play a large part in not having such tours nowadays.

In the aforementioned Cudahy book, he was also mentioning on how ships like the "DREAMWARD" can not only purify sea water for drinking, but, also, filter waste water, so that it can be safely discharged into the open ocean.

As such waste disposal systems are quite expensive, the "DREAMWARD" relies mostly on municipal systems, for both fresh water and sewage disposal.

Mr. Cudahy also mentioned of the "DREAMWARD" being docked at St. George's (NOT Staten Island!), and having hoses connected to quayside standpipe, to pump waste water into the Bermuda sewer system.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I was hoping that you did get at least one or two engine room tours, at some point; yes, liability would indeed play a large part in not having such tours nowadays.

In the aforementioned Cudahy book, he was also mentioning on how ships like the "DREAMWARD" can not only purify sea water for drinking, but, also, filter waste water, so that it can be safely discharged into the open ocean.

As such waste disposal systems are quite expensive, the "DREAMWARD" relies mostly on municipal systems, for both fresh water and sewage disposal.

Mr. Cudahy also mentioned of the "DREAMWARD" being docked at St. George's (NOT Staten Island!), and having hoses connected to quayside standpipe, to pump waste water into the Bermuda sewer system.......

"NYO"

Modern cruise ships can filter and refine even sewage water into water clean enough to drink, with a solid waste byproduct that is incinerated...the sewage water that is treated can legally be discharged back into the sea...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Truly amazing what technology can do! Shocked

On another note, I wonder how modern-day cruise ship "skippers" regard the infamous "Bermuda Triangle". Confused

Pre-COVID, when ships were OOS either for inspection or maintenance, did the individual cruise ship companies have their own facilities for layups, or, have to rely on private shipyards?

I'm guessing that there must be quite a few now-idle ships that are now silently awaiting the return to service, moored far from their home ports.....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 5 of 21

Jump to: