BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy Birthday, Trix!/"Noo Yawk" cameos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Guy E. Martin book, "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES":

".........New York City Omnibus generally assigned specific buses to routes and garages. By early 1951 it operated 956 buses against a requirement of 836 over 19 routes out of four garages......."

"...........with only four readily identifiable types of equipment, none longer than 35 feet, this continued as the largest transit bus operation in Manhattan. In general, the oldest equipment, YELLOW 718's and rebuilt 740's were assigned to the downtown cross-town routes, while the new TDH-4509's held the longer avenue runs......"

"........the 4509's were the exclusive domains of the more posh 79th and 86th Street crosstowns, while the remaining routes shared different equipment. The 12th St. garage operated 113 buses; 18 buses were assigned to Route 12, 27 to Route 13, and 68 to Route 14........"

"..........six routes called the 54th St. garage home, and operated 56 buses on route 5, 65 on Route 6, 29 on Route 8, 53 on Route 15, 47 on Route 16, and 23 on Route 21......"

"..........the 100th St. garage claimed the most with 295 buses over six routes. The assignments included 127 for the combined Routes 1 and 2, 61 on Route 11, 28 on Route 17, 29 on route 18, and 25 each on Routes 18 and 20. Four routes were based out of the 146th St. garage, which operated 275 buses......."

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
From the Guy E. Martin book, "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES":

".........New York City Omnibus generally assigned specific buses to routes and garages. By early 1951 it operated 956 buses against a requirement of 836 over 19 routes out of four garages......."

"...........with only four readily identifiable types of equipment, none longer than 35 feet, this continued as the largest transit bus operation in Manhattan. In general, the oldest equipment, YELLOW 718's and rebuilt 740's were assigned to the downtown cross-town routes, while the new TDH-4509's held the longer avenue runs......"

"........the 4509's were the exclusive domains of the more posh 79th and 86th Street crosstowns, while the remaining routes shared different equipment. The 12th St. garage operated 113 buses; 18 buses were assigned to Route 12, 27 to Route 13, and 68 to Route 14........"

"..........six routes called the 54th St. garage home, and operated 56 buses on route 5, 65 on Route 6, 29 on Route 8, 53 on Route 15, 47 on Route 16, and 23 on Route 21......"

"..........the 100th St. garage claimed the most with 295 buses over six routes. The assignments included 127 for the combined Routes 1 and 2, 61 on Route 11, 28 on Route 17, 29 on route 18, and 25 each on Routes 18 and 20. Four routes were based out of the 146th St. garage, which operated 275 buses......."

"NYO"

The "Jackie Gleason bus," #2969, was one of those 4509's plying the 86th Street Crosstown. 146th Street's four were the combined Routes 3 and 4 (Lexington Avenue), Route 7 (Broadway-Columbus-Lenox) and Route 10 (Eighth Avenue-Central Park West) plus TB (Triborough Bridge). I presume this same itinerary of route assignments by depot was in place come July 1960 for what was by then Fifth Avenue Coach Lines (apart from 3 and 4 which were discontinued that very month, 3 basically revamped as a short-run M-101 between 125th and 23rd Streets and 4 north of 116th Street replaced by NYCO Division Route 2); plus Jackson Heights for FACCo Routes 15 and 16, and 132nd Street for FACCo Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 19 and 20.

And of course, Surface Transit with their Byzantine depot assignments among Amsterdam, Central Bronx, Coliseum, Kingsbridge and West Farms. None of their depots/garages were south of 126th Street. Not until after MaBSTOA took over would some of their Manhattan routes be assigned to depots more conducive to their area (when, for example, M-103 - 59th Street and M-106 - 42nd Street were switched in late 1962 to 54th Street).

By 1951, Route 9 (which I presume would also have come out of 54th Street) was more or less discontinued after having been a once-a-day franchise holder since the end of World War II; and Route 22 - Pitt and Ridge Streets was likewise more or less moribund, its route having been folded into and made a branch of Route 21. (22 would become a once-a-day franchise holder by 1958, and along with FACCo's 1 and 19 and Surface Transit's M-105 would be discontinued on March 1, 1962 and never resumed under MaBSTOA - oh, but 19 would be "kind of" revived in December 1965 as a rush-hours-only branch of the lone surviving Route 5 by then - FACCO's.)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

As always, a wonderful and detailed narrative of historic New York City bus operations/buses/depot assignments, etc....it took a LOT of "infrastructure", if you will, to keep the show on the road!! Wink

Here is more of interest from the Guy E. Martin book:

"........the Spring of 1963 saw the arrival of new TDH-5303's; 255 for MaBSTOA and 350 for the Transit Authority. Until then, the fledgling MaBSTOA was faced with growing pains. Like the BoT in 1947, MaBSTOA inherited worn-out equipment........"

"........during the 1962 strike, FACCO transferred 100 "good" buses to the Westchester Street Transportation Company, a Weschester County subsidiary not affected by the strike. The condemnation resulted in 1,850 buses transferred to MaBSTOA. At that time, the oldest operable buses were the 900 TDH-4510's and TDH-5101's owned by the TA......."

".........newer, but in worse shape, were the transfers from Surface Transit. Compounding the issue was that while City inherited the buses, it had yet to receive the overhaul facilities. Repairs proceeded, at a slow pace, in TA-owned garages. The result was a year in which equipment appeared on previously unheard-of routes....."

"......delivery of 175 new GM diesels to the TA allowed the transfer of of TDH-4510's to MaBSTOA. Assigned to the former NYO garages at 12th and 54th Streets, they made their debuts outside of their native Brooklyn. For the first time, green-and-gray 102-inch wide buses roamed Manhattan streets. Low-numbered, ex-NYO TD-4506's, dating back to 1946, were assigned to Surface routes, replacing some Macks....."

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also.......

"..........most of the routes remained the same after the creation of MaBSTOA. Manhattan route changes were largely the result of combining routes due to avenues being converted to one-way traffic. One was the elimination of former OMNIBUS Route 5, being taken over by Route 6 when Broadway and 6th Avenue became one-way......"

"......on March 1, 1964, former OMNIBUS Route 1 was extended from City Hall to South Ferry, Route 7 from 23rd St. to 14th St. , and Route 10 received a branch to Houston and West Streets. Some former SURFACE routes in the Bronx were changed, or combined, to address ridership between shopping and residential areas, or to more efficiently use equipment......."

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that book. They implied, in the FACCo section, that FACCo's Rt. 1 is today's M1. It isn't. It is one of the deepest ironies that today's M1, in its southbound path between 135th and 8th Streets, copies the old FACCo Rt. 1 path in that stretch, but the M1 is 100% derived from NYCO's Route 1 - which in turn was descended from the city's first streetcar route that was started up in 1832. The only reason why the M1 has the path it has today is connected with the 2010 budget cutbacks whereby, besides that southbound rerouting (before then it only lasted on Fifth to 40th Street, then there transitioned to Park Avenue), the transition to Madison Avenue on northbound runs was moved from Park Avenue and 39th Street to Park Avenue South and 25th Street.

I seem to recall that on that same 1964 day the ex-NYCO #1 was extended to South Ferry, it also was extended NB to 146th Street and Lenox Avenue; 1964 rollsigns on eBay over the years mentioned '1 PARK & MADISON VIA-135 ST' and '2 PARK & MADISON VIA-116 ST'.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

One of the "pitfalls", if you will, regarding "non-New Yorkers" who are students of the City's mass transit history (streetcars, buses, and rapid transit) is taking a given author's statements as "concrete" (I know, I've been there myself)

Most certainly, much information IS correct, but, of course, there are often errors (both miniscule and glaring) that the "uninitiated" take as !00% correct information.

I have found, myself, that here on the board, it is almost a 100% given that I will learn the CORRECT historical data that I seek.

Regarding buses serving South Ferry/Whitehall St. terminal, in my copy of George Hilton's "THE STATEN ISLAND FERRY" (1964), in mentioning how a tourist can arrive at the ferry terminal, he mentions both the IRT 7th Avenue and Lexington subway lines (recall, the shuttle to Bowling Green was still in operation then)

Regarding buses, the author says: "........the terminal may also be reached by Broadway and First Avenue buses marked 'South Ferry'......"

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding both MaBSTOA and "Tee-Yay" New Looks (GMC and Flxible)...........

I've always wondered if the drivers favored GM's over their Flex counterparts, or favored the Flexies over the GMC's.

Certainly, the buses of both manufacturers were rugged, solid, and dependable, but I wonder if the buses of these builders had any sort of advantage over the competitor, say, regarding acceleration or, in the climbing of grades in hilly areas (upper Manhattan and Staten Island)

It's also interesting to think of how veteran drivers regarding the then-new GRUMMAN coaches and the RTS......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In virtually any discussion on MaBSTOA, we almost always tend to neglect the ill-fated GRUMMAN*.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3255

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3253

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3254

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

*How many GRUMMANS ran on MaBSTOA routes?

What depot(s) were they assigned to?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"TRIFECTA!"

Bowery & Mott, 1981

Such a classic scene today could only be duplicated at either a bus museum or vintage bus rally....talk about CLASSICS! Very Happy

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3247

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new leading the old (Columbus Avenue & 72nd St., 1981)

Today, in 2019, the RTS has, like the venerable Flex New Look, forever vanished down the echoing corridors of time......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3257

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway & 170th, 1982........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1260

(courtesy: bus.nycubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Concourse & Bedford Park Boulevard, 1982*..........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3256

*Note "Buffalo"/"Bison" in the background, coming towards the photographer.........
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new leading the old (Columbus Avenue & 72nd St., 1981)

Today, in 2019, the RTS has, like the venerable Flex New Look, forever vanished down the echoing corridors of time......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3257

Is it my imagination, or did GM's New Looks have a longer run in NYC than Flx' equivalent?
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

One of the "pitfalls", if you will, regarding "non-New Yorkers" who are students of the City's mass transit history (streetcars, buses, and rapid transit) is taking a given author's statements as "concrete" (I know, I've been there myself)

Most certainly, much information IS correct, but, of course, there are often errors (both miniscule and glaring) that the "uninitiated" take as !00% correct information.

I have found, myself, that here on the board, it is almost a 100% given that I will learn the CORRECT historical data that I seek.

Regarding buses serving South Ferry/Whitehall St. terminal, in my copy of George Hilton's "THE STATEN ISLAND FERRY" (1964), in mentioning how a tourist can arrive at the ferry terminal, he mentions both the IRT 7th Avenue and Lexington subway lines (recall, the shuttle to Bowling Green was still in operation then)

Regarding buses, the author says: "........the terminal may also be reached by Broadway and First Avenue buses marked 'South Ferry'......"

"NYO"

That quote seems to refer to the ex-NYCO #6 (which by 1964 went up Sixth Avenue and down Broadway) and 'Tee-Yay' M-15 - First and Second Avenues lines. Wonder if that was published just before the ex-NYCO #1 was extended to "the Ferry."
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In virtually any discussion on MaBSTOA, we almost always tend to neglect the ill-fated GRUMMAN*.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3255

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3253

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3254

*How many GRUMMANS ran on MaBSTOA routes?

What depot(s) were they assigned to?

We can see from those pics that Grummans certainly had a presence at 132nd Street (M4), Amsterdam (M100) and 54th Street (M17, M32) depots. Likely Coliseum or whichever depot/garage Bx1 was assigned out of. Another thread had a printout of which depots (both 'Tee-Yay' and MaBSToA) would have had which Grummans, PA- or non PA-.

B.T.W., on pic #3253, the batwing claiming #700 would most likely be #8700.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: