BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy Birthday, Trix!/"Noo Yawk" cameos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought........

It is also important to remember how "high-falutin'" 5th Avenue has always been, especially in the days of Victorian mansions, high-rent brownstones, and exclusive shops.

So "tony" was the ritzy, glitzy thoroughfare, there were NO noisy, rattling elevated trains above the street, not were there any subway trains rumbling beneath.

When one thinks about it, it IS a bit surprising that lowly streetcars were even allowed to CROSS the glitzy avenue!

Then, too, there were (and still are) those of "well-to-do" status who would not be caught dead aboard a city bus....OR a subway!

Case in point:

When I worked on "The Street" from 1979 through early 2003, there was a middle-aged (this was back in the early 80's) stockbroker whose family had always been VERY socially prominent (they lived on upper 5th for many years)......to say this guy was a "snob" is indeed an understatement.

I once heard him talking to another broker, and he caustically remarked that no one in his family was ever that destitute that they had to resort to either taking the subways OR the bus (if the limo was in the shop, a humble taxi was, indeed, the LAST resort!)

For Your's Truly, imagining someone who lived in Manhattan for nearly sixty years and who NEVER ONCE ever rode the subway (or a bus) is STILL a difficult issue to ponder, without a doubt.

Thank God I was raised in an average, middle class (for that time) family; what great transit-related fun I would have missed, had I been born into a "silver spoon in the mouth", uppity, wealthy family!

(Thanks, Mom and Dad!)

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Here's another of those "gritty vintage Noo Yawk" bus scenes that truly captures the flavor of the era (34th & 3rd, 1972)

The ads sported by #8543 are particularly nostalgic, nearly a half-century later! (also, the vintage store signage)*

The rear of one of #8543's running mate can also be seen on the left.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1137

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

*Note, too, the now-dated street lamp; I believe these were called "Broadways" or "Whiteways" (or something along those lines); these were quite futuristic at the time they debuted (early 1960's, or thereabouts)

These were also quite commonplace in my area of northern New Jersey for many years; the last of these distinctive street lights vanished quite a few years ago here.......

"NYO"

The streetlights I had mentioned in this earlier post were indeed Westinghouse "WHITEWAYS"; I did a little research and came across this excellent site (a great deal on vintage "Noo Yawk" streetlights, here), which I had thought to be defunct......

https://www.streetlightsite.com/47-Westinghouse-Whiteway-Twin-Lamp-Park-Row.html

(courtesy: Jeff's Streetlight site.com)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#8706 at Frankfort and William, 1972.

There are quite a few of the distinctive Westinghouse "WHITEWAY" street lamps in this view........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1281

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexington & E. 32nd, 1972.

Recalling the days of Fishbowls, phone booths (where does Clark Kent dash into these days when he changes into Superman??) and "DON'T WALK" signs, not to mention colorful ads for "RINGLING BROS".

Also, note that #5416's roller curtain is not properly set......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2038

That sign, however not-properly-set, appears to be an original from the 1964 order as was on that route; compare this to later front roll signs laying out as:
101 TO 6 ST

The Lexington Ave sign also dates to 1965-66; that was from the only group of street signs where 5" Highway Gothic C was used.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Regarding signs of yesterday (roller curtains and street signs):

Here again, when looking at vintage bus photos, far too many take these photos at "face value" only.

If they truly study these photos, they can easily see the many changes over the years (subtle or otherwise) in regards to bus signs, street signs, and store signage.

Too, look at how much street lights and traffic signals have changed over the years............"pedestal" traffic signals with only two aspects, incandescent, florescent, mercury vapor, sodium street lighting.....the list of changes over the decades literally goes on and on.

Also, regarding the many changes bus roller curtains over the years, it would seem that photos showing the roller sign departments at different New York depots are sadly lacking (I have have seen numerous such vintage photos from London, however)

Again, when it comes to vintage bus photos, though the BUS, is, of course, the FOCAL POINT of the photo, do not ignore the surrounding scene......there is so much of historical interest to be savored.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late 1950's lineup of SURFACE buses, near Yankee Stadium (all but one bus sports the classic ST paint)

The 1955 photo date is incorrect; look on the right at the tail-finned taxi; it is clearly a CHRYSLER product, and would date to about 1957 or 1958 (also, note the classic VW "Beetle"!)

Note also the ornate incandescent street lamps, once so commonplace in New York and many other cities for many years.

Of interest also is that no traffic signals are visible, despite this being a very busy intersection........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4008

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undated photo of a postwar ST Twin Coach:

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1551

A few quick questions:

1: Was this a lone "demo" assigned to ST, or did other postwar TWINS operate?

2: The BoT ordered TWINS 1400-1524, 1525-1575, 1700-1829; I am curious as to why the TWINS seemed to be all based in Brooklyn (I know that, at the time, both diesel buses and trolley coaches were replacing the B&QT streetcars at that time)

Some cities, like Chicago, operated large fleets of postwar TWINS; those in New York were clearly in the minority, and did not last all that long in service.......

"NYO"

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few postwar TWIN photos........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3999

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4001

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4007

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4008

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3992

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding ST Twin Coaches........

I took out my copy of "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES" (Guy E. Martin) to see if there was a photo of a TWIN running on an ST line; plenty of photos of Old Looks, MACKS, and a few WHITES, but none depicting a postwar TWIN.

NOT surprisingly, in this chapter, there is ONE photo of a Fishbowl (#3208) holding down a #31 run.

Caption says: "......the only GM New Look buses to operate on SURFACE TRANSIT were never red (caption also states they were painted green and cream, this, of course, we already know)

Here, it also states that ".....with only 50 New Looks assigned to SURFACE, Route #31 made extensive use of them....."

The only postwar TWINS shown in this book were units which operated in Queens.....

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Surface Twin was a demo and wound up at Westchester Street Transportation
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
The Surface Twin was a demo and wound up at Westchester Street Transportation

MaBSTOA 15:

Thanks for this info!

I see my hunch that this bus was a "demo" was correct!

I always found it interesting to see photos postwar BoT TWINS solely operating in Brooklyn, and nowhere else.

Though I can recall prewar TWINS working for several "indy" outfits in my general area, back in the early/mid-60's, postwar TWINS were simply not to be seen.

In fact, there first one I ever saw was in Manhattan, back in late 1974; some dry cleaning/fur storage company was using one to transport articles of clothing, with the clothes hangers handing from the overhead standee stanchions!

Too bad I never got a picture of that!

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT SYSTEM BUS & TROLLEY COACH FLEET" (Greller).....

According to a table ("MANHATTAN SURFACE LINES") under "BUS DEPOTS, CIRCA JULY, 1960", 158 buses were based in Manhattan

One depot was then located in Manhattan (E. 100th St. garage)

Two routes caught my eye in particular: "M/13A"; according to this table, only three buses were required daily.

The "M/11" required only six buses.

To me, this seems to be a small amount of buses, even for a lightly-traveled line..........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I've used both of these nostalgic (and busy!) old photos elsewhere in other threads, they are too good not to post here again.

These bustling long, long ago scenes were taken at West Farms, and also, at Southern Boulevard and Westchester Avenue..........imagine, being able to go back in time and see and hear the sweet sounds of "Noo Yawk" transit, many ages ago....... Very Happy

Something for everyone, here!

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?116553

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?116824

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT SYSTEM BUS & TROLLEY COACH FLEET" (Greller).....

According to a table ("MANHATTAN SURFACE LINES") under "BUS DEPOTS, CIRCA JULY, 1960", 158 buses were based in Manhattan

One depot was then located in Manhattan (E. 100th St. garage)

Two routes caught my eye in particular: "M/13A"; according to this table, only three buses were required daily.

The "M/11" required only six buses.

To me, this seems to be a small amount of buses, even for a lightly-traveled line..........

"NYO"

I'd be interested to see the exact itinerary of to which depots the various Manhattan routes were assigned in that time frame. We could then get a feel as to which depot got certain of the FACL New Looks. (There were, after all, two 100th Street depots: the ex-Comprehensive/East Side Omnibus garage between First Avenue and FDR Drive, then the ex-NYCO turned FACL depot on Lexington Avenue.)

I suppose "M/11" was the Ninth and Amsterdam Avenue line, and "M/13A" was a variant of the 8th Street Crosstown? Or were they the 'Tee-Yay' routes (York Avenue/57th Street and Journal Building, respectively)?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B:

I'd also love to see an intinerary like that one; once again, it would provide for us a more detailed "capsule", if you will, regarding the routes of that era, and what depots that those routes (and what buses) were based out of.

Once again, this is why a good, solid work on MaBSTOA (including a "prequel" of NYO and FACCO. into the last days) is needed.

Even though both yourself and our friend MaBSTOA 15 are walking encyclopedias on the City's bus operations (buses, signage, depots, etc.) we STILL have the need for a good, definitive work on MaBSTOA.

Regarding the Ogden FACCo. book, I gladly would have shelled out a few bucks more for the work if he detailed the Company right to the end, AND also devoted at least several pages to the New Looks.

The old saying goes: "If you're going to play the game, it's important to get to know all the players."

This holds especially true for the study of historic bus operations in the City, especially Manhattan and the Bronx......

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: