BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy Birthday, Trix!/"Noo Yawk" cameos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to "THE HONEYMOONERS":

I have one of the "Honeymooners" publicity photos framed, with Ralph behind the wheel of #2969, with Alice, Norton, and Trixie waving from the windows.

I STILL wonder, at least for these publicity photos, why #2629 was not lettered for the "GOTHAM BUS COMPANY"; after all, THAT was the company that Ralph drove for in the show.......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Going back to "THE HONEYMOONERS":

I have one of the "Honeymooners" publicity photos framed, with Ralph behind the wheel of #2629, with Alice, Norton, and Trixie waving from the windows.

I STILL wonder, at least for these publicity photos, why #2629 was not lettered for the "GOTHAM BUS COMPANY"; after all, THAT was the company that Ralph drove for in the show.......

"NYO"

#2969, but . . . if that photo had been taken a year later, it would have been lettered 'FIFTH AVENUE COACH LINES INC.' on the sides.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

That's right.

I have to wonder, though, how many die-hard "Honeymoonies" would still refer to a Madison Avenue bus route as one operated by the "GOTHAM BUS COMPANY"; I have a CORGI Old Look that is lettered "MADISON AVENUE COACH COMPANY"

The front roller curtain reads:"4th & MADISON AV." (white text on black)/"PARK ROW & B'WAY VIA 42nd ST." (white text on red)

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting note:

There was also, back in 1955, a large tin toy "JACKIE GLEASON BUS" ("HONEYMOONERS SPECIAL")was in the stores, that was manufactured by Wolverine; this toy company also used this same basic "shell" to simulate other types of buses (which I am lucky enough to own!)

The beautiful lithography included "Ralph" at the wheel, and the destination sign reading "AWA-A-Y WE GO BUS"; the license plate reads "POW!"

This RARE toy bus, WHEN you can find one today, is VERY pricey (even if it is deplorable shape); as this toy appeals to both bus collectors and "Honeymooners" collectors, the price for this rare and colorful toy bus will never be within the reach of the "average" collector. Sad

I still dream of somehow getting my hands on one of the handsome toy buses, today........Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One has to wonder just how many "HONEYMOONERS" publicity shots were actually taken, using #2629 (perhaps, some that we have not seen, to date).......

There is one seldom seen publicity photo on the bottom of page #117 of "THE HONEYMOONERS' COMPANION" (McCrohan)

Ralph is seen leaning out of his driver's window, not looking at all pleased, as a cop writes him a ticket.

I'm guessing that the publicity photos that were taken were all taken on the same day; there is another one that I really like (I misplaced mine long ago) showing a angry-looking Ralph with his arm stretched out his window, trying to retrieve his lunch from Alice, that he obviously had left at home, before heading to work........

"NYO"
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all bogus! The actual bus used for the Honeymooners is a common model and a working bus could have been sought by the NYCTA for it's museum collection specifically for it's Honeymooners bus.

Why did they have to take the only surviving rare TDH-5101 and converted it when historically it should have been kept in it's iconic livery during it's revenue days?

Frankie
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
It's all bogus! The actual bus used for the Honeymooners is a common model and a working bus could have been sought by the NYCTA for it's museum collection specifically for it's Honeymooners bus.

Why did they have to take the only surviving rare TDH-5101 and converted it when historically it should have been kept in it's iconic livery during it's revenue days?

Frankie

Frankie:

I wish I could answer your question!

As I had mentioned to our good friend W.B. in this thread, the one thing that always puzzled me was that the actual "Honeymooners" bus was NOT lettered for the "GOTHAM BUS COMPANY", which, of course, was the fictitious New York bus company Ralph drove for (did the publicists think that, perhaps, the "MADISON AVENUE BUS COMPANY" was a subsidiary of the "GBC"??) Rolling Eyes

Certainly, if that bus was lettered for the "GOTHAM" (and remained so, even in its later years), the bus would have been indeed a "celebrity" in its own right, with folks eager to hop aboard the famous "bus that Ralph Kramden drove".

At LEAST, there is the ersatz "Honeymooners" bus, as well as a statue of Ralph in front of the PABT, and, of course, a garage/depot named in honor of him....

"NYO"
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're familiar with the driver's side of the bus featuring the cast members at the windows. This is the same bus, but showing the destination that is absent from the driver's side.

Photo credit as shown.

Frankie

aaaaaagettyimages-52979271-1024x1024.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.69 KB
 Viewed:  14746 Time(s)

aaaaaagettyimages-52979271-1024x1024.jpg

frankie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
An interesting note:

There was also, back in 1955, a large tin toy "JACKIE GLEASON BUS" ("HONEYMOONERS SPECIAL")was in the stores, that was manufactured by Wolverine; this toy company also used this same basic "shell" to simulate other types of buses (which I am lucky enough to own!)

The beautiful lithography included "Ralph" at the wheel, and the destination sign reading "AWA-A-Y WE GO BUS"; the license plate reads "POW!"

This RARE toy bus, WHEN you can find one today, is VERY pricey (even if it is deplorable shape); as this toy appeals to both bus collectors and "Honeymooners" collectors, the price for this rare and colorful toy bus will never be within the reach of the "average" collector. Sad

I still dream of somehow getting my hands on one of the handsome toy buses, today........Wink

"NYO"

aaaaatoy bus.jpg
 Description:
And here it is:

Photo credit as shown.
 Filesize:  53.59 KB
 Viewed:  14741 Time(s)

aaaaatoy bus.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie:

The picture you posted, showing Ralph by the front door, is one that I have framed, except that it is "cropped", and does not show as much of the bus as is seen in your photo....THANKS for posting this! Wink

(note, too, the OPPY ("Subway Sun" artist!) sign "fumble while they grumble" displayed in the window (METROCARDS were still light-years into the future, back in those days!)

Also, MANY THANKS for posting the photo of the tin "Jackie Gleason" bus; this is the FIRST photo I've seen showing not only the driver's side, but also, the box!

Man, what a PRIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks again! Wink

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The REAL driver of 2629 with Jackie.
Note the NYCO badge on the driver's hat.

14bc91beb53b2e10adfd72c288e07f90.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.36 KB
 Viewed:  14734 Time(s)

14bc91beb53b2e10adfd72c288e07f90.jpg

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More publicity photos on 2629...

honeymooners4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.15 KB
 Viewed:  14733 Time(s)

honeymooners4.jpg

gettyimages-51240030.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.75 KB

gettyimages-51240030.jpg

21honeymooners-cityroom-blog480.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.49 KB

21honeymooners-cityroom-blog480.jpg

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still more...

65b8d6c1838c7ce62cf98e4fbd0f6ff6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.77 KB
 Viewed:  14730 Time(s)

65b8d6c1838c7ce62cf98e4fbd0f6ff6.jpg

jackie-gleason-audrey-meadows.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  251.73 KB
 Viewed:  14731 Time(s)

jackie-gleason-audrey-meadows.jpg

honeymooners-audrey-meadows.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.61 KB
 Viewed:  14731 Time(s)

honeymooners-audrey-meadows.jpg

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And lastly...

image-title1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  170.7 KB
 Viewed:  14729 Time(s)

image-title1.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

"HOW SWEET IT IS!!" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

This is the FIRST time I've ever seen "Ralph" with #2629's actual driver; those were indeed the days when BUS DRIVERS still looked every inch the part (and BUSES still looked like BUSES!) Wink

I also greatly enjoyed one of the photos showing Alice handing Ralph his lunch; this was one I had not seen previously!

I have no doubt that #2629's driver became a "celebrity" of sorts at his garage, when his bus driver pals saw the photo of him and "Ralph"!

Even though "THE HONEYMOONERS" was a popular show during its original run; I doubt that anyone back then (neither the cast nor the virewers) could have ever forseen the day when the show would garner "cult classic" status, and boast many legions of die-hard, dedicated fans (such as Your's Truly!)

As our friend W.B. and I had commented on earlier, imagine during the run of the "color" Honeymooners (1966-1970), that the cast came into New York for publicity photos, this time using a MaBSTOA Fishbowl!

Man, imagine Ralph" behind the wheel of a batwing Fishbowl?? Shocked Shocked

When Gleason donned his bus driver's uniform, he really had the "look" of the bus drivers of that era, and easily could have passed for an "average, everyday driver" on any route in the city.

"Gee, that bus driver I had this morning coming into work looked just like Jackie Gleason!" Rolling Eyes

Again, MANY THANKS for these AWESOME photos! Very Happy

"HOW SWEET IT IS!"

"NYO"

BTW:

That wonderfully innocent and nostalgic "BRIGHTEN YOUR DAY WITH COURTESY" Oppy sign (seen where Ralph and #2629's driver are having lunch together) should be displayed today in ALL New York buses AND subway cars (sadly, I doubt it would make too much of a difference, these days) Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 2 of 19

Jump to: