BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!
 
 BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Closed Door" express service
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 7040
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1981, this TNJ Flex New Look was nearing the Lincoln Tunnel, after nearly completing its inbound #167 run, via the Turnpike.

Not only have the handsome Flex New looks been gone for many years, the "BLUE LINE" truck company (note the truck alongside the bus) is now itself a "fallen flag. (the truck was heading to its Weehawken terminal, then adjacent to the E-L/ConRail tracks)

Today, the truck terminal has long since vanished, and the HBLR now operates along the former ConRail ROW........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2325

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 7040
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLUB TRANSPORT expresses, way back when.........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?526

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?549

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
traildriver




Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 1224
Location: Queens, NY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Remember PSNJ's/TNJ's "#200 PARK RIDE"?

I still remember when the Fishbowls to be assigned to this new line were painted in a new (and sharp!) paint scheme..

I first recall seeing several of these freshly-repainted buses at the old Union City garage (aka "the carbarns") about the time I was nearing my teens (ANCIENT history!)......... Rolling Eyes

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2314

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)


I believe they made the Park and Ride buses distinctive, as part of the campaign to lure auto driver's out of their auto's...and make it easier for thses non-transit saavy commuter's to identify their buses...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
traildriver




Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 1224
Location: Queens, NY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Back in 1981, this TNJ Flex New Look was nearing the Lincoln Tunnel, after nearly completing its inbound #167 run, via the Turnpike.

Not only have the handsome Flex New looks been gone for many years, the "BLUE LINE" truck company (note the truck alongside the bus) is now itself a "fallen flag. (the truck was heading to its Weehawken terminal, then adjacent to the E-L/ConRail tracks)

Today, the truck terminal has long since vanished, and the HBLR now operates along the former ConRail ROW........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2325


Nice find...thanks for posting...
IIRC, TNJ while in the transition from private (PS) to public (NJT) was still private, even though they carried those NJ DOT emblems on their sides...

In the same way Conrail commuter trains carried those NJ DOT emblem's prior to NJT taking over rail operations...

It probably meant that NJ DOT owned the railcars and the buses, while Conrail and Public Service were still the actual operator's...
(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 7040
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Remember PSNJ's/TNJ's "#200 PARK RIDE"?

I still remember when the Fishbowls to be assigned to this new line were painted in a new (and sharp!) paint scheme..

I first recall seeing several of these freshly-repainted buses at the old Union City garage (aka "the carbarns") about the time I was nearing my teens (ANCIENT history!)......... Rolling Eyes

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2314

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)


I believe they made the Park and Ride buses distinctive, as part of the campaign to lure auto driver's out of their auto's...and make it easier for these non-transit savvy commuter's to identify their buses...


traildriver:

Right you are!


I was lucky enough to actually see one of these repainted buses in the paint shop, glimpsed through a window on the Bergenline Avenue side of the PS garage in Union City.

The last of the masking was just coming off, and Mom and I got a nice little "preview" of the new paint scheme!

The first time I saw the "200 PARK RIDE" sign, I had no idea what it was referring to, so I asked Mom, who ALWAYS knew what was what!

Here, even Mom, at the time, was stumped!

I still remember her reply:

"Maybe it's some sort of sightseeing trip."Shocked

Man, where has 50 years gotten to?? Rolling Eyes

That "PARK RIDE" scheme was always a fave of mine, for many years afterwards.......... Very Happy

"NYO"


Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 7040
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Back in 1981, this TNJ Flex New Look was nearing the Lincoln Tunnel, after nearly completing its inbound #167 run, via the Turnpike.

Not only have the handsome Flex New looks been gone for many years, the "BLUE LINE" truck company (note the truck alongside the bus) is now itself a "fallen flag. (the truck was heading to its Weehawken terminal, then adjacent to the E-L/ConRail tracks)

Today, the truck terminal has long since vanished, and the HBLR now operates along the former ConRail ROW........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2325


Nice find...thanks for posting...
IIRC, TNJ while in the transition from private (PS) to public (NJT) was still private, even though they carried those NJ DOT emblems on their sides...

In the same way Conrail commuter trains carried those NJ DOT emblem's prior to NJT taking over rail operations...

It probably meant that NJ DOT owned the railcars and the buses, while Conrail and Public Service were still the actual operator's...
(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)


traildriver:

How well I recall that NJDOT emblem, on both buses and rail cars, many years ago; I especially remember the NJDOT logo on the new Flex New Looks of the mid-70's, and also on the E-L and CNJ motive power and rolling stock.

TNJ was the successor to PSNJ (about 1971); NJT was on the scene sometime about 1980, but TNJ insignias were still displayed.

I HATED that dreaded "Eskimo Pie Dip" (my moniker!) scheme that NJT later gave to their Fishbowls/New Looks........the buses looked as though they had been scale models dipped in white paint, and then hastily "decorated" with decals! Mad

Hard to believe it is now over 20 years since I've seen a Fishbowl or Flex New Look in my area....I still miss 'em.......

"NYO"


Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 7040
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TNJ/NJDOT Flex New Looks, in the the days before they wore NJT's (yeccchhh!) "ESKIMO PIE DIP" scheme........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2319

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2321

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 7040
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"GREETINGS FROM THE JERSEY SHORE" (NJDOT-style!)......... Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4324

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4322

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 7040
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An AM GENERAL holding down a STEINWAY express run, 1981.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1407

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 7040
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

37th St. at Queens Midtown Tunnel, 1980........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2253

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group