BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now that the RTS is history.....what might be the new "
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of ACF's.......

TRIBORO once operated ACF coaches, including 24 Model 45-S's; these buses (with underfloor HALL-SCOTT engines) were, at the time, the largest prewar ACF city bus available............

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACF's operated by TRIBORO........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1312

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1313

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ACF-Brill popularity with the railroad owned bus lines may have been because they were familiar with railcar and streetcar products made by American Car and Foundry and the J G Brill companies for many years.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
The ACF-Brill popularity with the railroad owned bus lines may have been because they were familiar with railcar and streetcar products made by American Car and Foundry and the J G Brill companies for many years.

traildriver:

Good point!

Just think of the many hundreds of subway cars built for New York over the decades that were ACF products; clearly, ACF cars were both RUGGED and LONG-LIVED!

BRILL streetcars once dominated the rails of many a city/suburban electric rail systems in this country (and also abroad)

After the war, GM quickly became dominant in the bus industry; it is no wonder that ACF-BRILL, WHITE, MACK, and TWIN COACH eventually faded into oblivion.

Though certain cities preferred WHITES and MACKS (Chicago was quite enamored with TWIN COACH for many years; FLXIBLE also), GM was indeed the dominate player in the bus-building field.

From the late 1940's through the 1960's, several prominent New Jersey suburban companies operated ACF-BRILL C-44's; these companies included DE CAMP, INTER-CITY, and SOMERSET.

CCF-BRILLS (Canadian Car & Foundry/CanCar), both as motor buses and trolley coaches, were commonplace north of the border for many years.

I took photos of Montreal's C-44 clones, the CanCar CD-52TC's, during a visit to Montreal during the summer of '73 with my folks (even enjoyed a brief junket!)

CCF-BRILL IC-37 and IC-41's, identical to their American cousins, were also commonplace; interestingly, CanCar also built the ICW-29 intercity coach, which was a dead-ringer for FLXIBLE Clipper..............

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recall, also, that QUEENS-NASSAU TRANSIT operated 15 C-44's; these buses were delivered in 1947.

Outside of the lone C-44 BoT demo unit #2 (this bus was sold to the CTA, and was renumbered #2700) , the QUEENS-NASSAU C-44's were the only ACF-BRILLS to operate on the streets of New York.......

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ACF demo for the BoT, #2, was a model C-48 not a C-44.

CanCar built this bus as a model C-52 with an AEC horizontal diesel engine.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
The ACF demo for the BoT, #2, was a model C-48 not a C-44.

CanCar built this bus as a model C-52 with an AEC horizontal diesel engine.

MaBSTOA 15:

Thanks for that correction; I always mistake that bus for being a C-44! Rolling Eyes

The only ACF-BRILL buses I remember when growing up in northern New Jersey were the suburban models operated by DE CAMP, INTER-CITY, and SOMERSET.

Though the "indy" companies in my general area operated very diverse fleets through much of the 1960's, none rostered any ACF-BRILLS.

The CTA operated 120 Model T-44 ACF-BRILL trolley buses into the 1970's; the only other ACF-BRILL trolley bus model in Chicago was the TC-48.........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"MOHAWK COACH LINES, INC." ("BLUE COACH") also operated C-44 suburbans; this company served New York, Mt. Kisco, New Hyde Park, Beacon, Poughkeepsie, Bear Mountain, and Haverstraw.

This company was based out of Little Ferry, NJ........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several vintage views of classic, colorful, handsome, and stylish Canadian BRILLS (Hamilton, Ontario).........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1408

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4034

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4038

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4042

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1939, the "JERSEY CITY & MONTCLAIR BUS COMPANY" took delivery of several ACF Model 26-U buses; these small buses (only 50 were built) operated between Caldwell and Journal Square, Jersey City, where connections could be made for the H&M tubes to Manhattan.

This long forgotten company was founded in 1927, and, the following year, was extended from Montclair to Caldwell.

In addition to the new ACF buses (1939), this company also operated Fitzjohn-bodied (front-engined) WHITES.

In later years, this line became DE CAMP's #22 (Caldwell-Jersey City); GM Old Looks and ACF-BRILL C-44's were used on this now long-abandoned "stepchild" route well into the 1960's (I knew this line well as a youngster, as Mom and I would ride out to Verona to visit my uncle, aunt, and cousins in West Orange)......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding "classic" buses, the GMC "Buffalo" was a true classic, and I still fondly remember them today, many years after they vanished from my area.

Though, of course, never operated by the MTA, these buses were very commonplace rumbling in and out of the PABT; I can remember PSNJ/TNJ, DE CAMP, and MAHATTAN LINES (among other "fallen flags") rostering them.

My folks (may they rest) and I rode a DATTCO (Parker Tours) "Buffalo" from New York to Canada and return for a wonderful week-long summer getaway, back in the summer of '73.

The last "Buffalos" I rode were the "fallen flag refugees", then operated by early-era NJT in the early/mid-80's, on the former ORANGE & BLACK (MAPLEWOOD) rush hour "RIVER ROAD EXPRESS".

The last I recall seeing (early 90's) were running for ACADEMY.

I always have (and still do) referred to these distinctive, now-classic buses as "Baby Scenicruisers"(!) Very Happy

I also recall LIBERTY LINES operating them; ditto SHORT LINE.

The "Buffalo" also had the dubious distinction of being the last GM-built bus purchased by GREYHOUND........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:58 am; edited 6 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....oooooh, give me a home, where the "buffalo" (and other GMC's) roam.......(!!) Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?496

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1497

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3429

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?617

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2359

traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

The "Buffalo" also had the dubious distinction of being the last GM-built bus purchased by GREYHOUND........

"NYO"

I know GL purchased its final PD-4107 in 1967, but what about the SDM's, used in the California transit division's? Could there have been some newer?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

"NYO"

I know GL purchased its final PD-4107 in 1967, but what about the SDM's, used in the California transit division's? Could there have been some newer?

traildriver:

Good point.

I know that the New Looks GREYHOUND used in the Bay Area commuter service later went to SamTrans, where they lasted into the early/mid-1980's..

If any of these buses were purchased after the 4107's, these, then, would have been the VERY last new GM's purchased by GREYHOUND, even though these were not highway coaches.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamTrans Fishbowls* in 1979; by this late date, GREYHOUND was, of course, no longer operating the Bay area commute routes.........

(AFAIK, the newest Fishbowls that GREYHOUND ordered for Bay Area commuter service were the sixty TDM-5303's, purchased in 1965)

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3846

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3847

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway)

Interestingly, CAPITOL TRAILWAYS operated two suburban Fishbowls (S8M-5303's) in Harrisburg-area commuter service.

CONTINENTAL also operated suburban services in the Dallas and Kansas City areas using ACF-BRILL C-44's (these buses also had transit-style rear doors)

Also, GREYHOUND was involved with commuter service out of Kansas City; the "CROWN COACH COMPANY" operated two TDH-4509's, and prominently displayed "RUNNING DOG" logos on their flanks.

Until 1963/1964, EASTERN CANADIAN GREYHOUND LINES operated Old Looks in commute service in the Windsor/london areas.

The newest of these buses were TDM-4517's, added to the fleet in 1957.

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: