BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B&O buses at Jersey City, circa 1930
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: B&O buses at Jersey City, circa 1930 Reply with quote

All:

Just came across this rare photo earlier today; photo was taken at the CRRNJ terminal at Jersey City (closed April, 1967)

Note the B&O buses lined up in the background; it is obvious that this photo was taken in the early years of B&O train connection bus service from Jersey city (this unique service, as we already know, ended in 1958, when the B&O abandoned passenger service to New York (Jersey City) via the CNJ.

The proud and dignified locomotive dominating the photo would soon be hauling the CNJ's famed "BLUE COMET" to Atlantic City......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cnj/cnj-s0832vaa.jpg

(courtesy: Fallen Flags Railroads)

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another photo taken at the CNJ ferry terminal at Jersey City, sometime in the early/mid-1930's.

One of the CNJ's distinctive "Camels" was, of course, the focus of the photographer.

Look VERY carefully in the background (through the girder work of the signal bridge) and you will just be able to make out the nose of a front-engined B&O train connection bus, awaiting its turn on the bus turntable........

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cnj/cnj-s779afm.jpg

(courtesy: Fallen Flags Railroads)
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and speaking of B&O buses, here are three views for your pleasure.

#60 is a White model 684 with Bender built bodies.

#s 80 and 82 were White model 1136.

The B&O Train connection was operated by Fifth Avenue Coach Company from 1926 till 1947 when the service was sold to Gray Line Motor Tours.

Fifth Avenue operated twenty-two model Yellow Coach model YR-271 (1926) and numbered 1-22; ten Yellow Coach YW-320 (1929) and numbered 23-32; and finally thirty White model 684 (1936) and numbered 33-62.

The White 1136 came in 1950 and were numbered 70-99.

The buses were owned by the B&O but consigned to Fifth Avenue.

60.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  158.16 KB
 Viewed:  20907 Time(s)

60.JPG

80.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.94 KB

80.JPG

82.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.25 KB

82.JPG

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME photos, as always!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked

Thanks for sharing here with us!! Wink

I've seen footage of these buses (both in b/w in color); sure wish I could go back in time and experience them "up close and personal"! Very Happy

In the third photo, note the open area just behind the buses; that was the site of the main concourse area of the old PRR Cortlandt St. ferry (to Exchange Place, Jersey City) that shut down in December of 1949 (the CNJ's Liberty ST. terminal is just out of the photo on the left)

Interestingly, the PRR's ferries were the first trans-Hudson ferries to use upper deck loading (still used on the SI boats today)

However, sometime in the mid-50's, the NYC's West Shore ferries (from Weehawken) shifted over from their own Cortlandt St. slips to the former PRR slips, which were still in good shape.

Though the main concourse area was demolished, the slips and loading areas remained in use until March, 1959.

As the NYC boats were not equipped for two-level loading, the old upper deck loading aprons were not used.

Again, GREAT photos........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...agreed, great photo's....I would love to have one of those B&O Capitol logo's off the front of one of them...what a great collectible that would make! Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Yes...agreed, great photo's....I would love to have one of those B&O Capitol logo's off the front of one of them...what a great collectible that would make! Smile

traildriver:

You and me both! Very Happy

I sure wouldn't mind having one of those roller curtains, either; heck, I'd even settle for a license plate! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking......

In a certain book on the history of FACCo. that we often refer to here, come to think of it, has NO mention whatsoever of the Company's involvement with the B&O's train connection buses.

In thinking about this, a work on the B&O's bus operations through the years would, quite nicely, fill a void that has existed for many years now, IMHO.

I know it would be a book I would certainly purchase; the vintage photos showing CNJ ferries crossing the Hudson with their gangways loaded with no other vehicles excepting B&O buses, indeed, would alone be more than worth "the price of admission"....... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

If you can locate a copy of "CLASSIC TRAINS" (Fall, 2013), on the top of page #85, there is an excellent photo from 1953, showing two B&O buses ( #'s 71 and 88 ) about to rumble off of the CNJ ferryboat "ELIZABETH" at Liberty St.

The photo suggests that this might have been a publicity photo of sorts, as only two CNJ deckhands are visible on the main deck (no passengers at all to be seen) and the upper deck loading bridges are not fully lowered, and the ferry itself seemingly devoid of any other passengers.

This is a really neat photo if you can find a copy of this issue of "CLASSIC TRAINS".......Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

........another "lost factor" regarding B&O bus operations (especially during the later years) would be to read driver's accounts of "signing in" at the depot to begin their runs, traveling en route, scheduling, etc.

Again, this most interesting, long-defunct operation is long overdue to have a published work focusing on it (by someone with both the knowledge as well as access to historic photos) to put forth such a detailed (and fascinating) book........

"NYO"
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people would buy such a book? Would it make economic sense for someone to publish it, assuming you can find someone to write it?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
How many people would buy such a book? Would it make economic sense for someone to publish it, assuming you can find someone to write it?

Hart Bus:

I believe that such a book would not only appeal (obviously) to bus enthusiasts/historians, but also, rail buffs, especially B&O historians/enthusiasts.

Much, of course, has been written on the B&O itself, but nothing at all on the bus operations; mention is made, of course, of the train connections buses to Jersey City (and even a few photos here and there) in some B&O books, but nothing focusing on the BUS operations itself.

That's why I feel such a book would be welcome in several sectors......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Hart Bus is correct in questioning it...
That type of book, if done well with good photo's, would tend to be a fairly expensive book to publish, and with its limited appeal, would be costly to purchase. I seriously doubt it could be successful commercially speaking.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
That type of book, if done well with good photo's, would tend to be a fairly expensive book to publish, and with its limited appeal, would be costly to purchase. I seriously doubt it could be successful commercially speaking.

traildriver:

In retrospect, then, perhaps a B&O bus article in a rail publication such as CLASSIC TRAINS or TRAINS would be a far more economical and practicle alternative than to have a book published on the subject........

"NYO"
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver wrote:

traildriver:

In retrospect, then, perhaps a B&O bus article in a rail publication such as CLASSIC TRAINS or TRAINS would be a far more economical and practicle alternative than to have a book published on the subject........

"NYO"

The 1971 Motor Coach Age issue on FACCO included two pages on B&O buses. I'm not sure how much else there is to write. If anyone is interested I can scan and post them.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Astorian:

If you could scan and post those two pages on the B&O buses, I am sure I would not be the only one who would enjoy them! Very Happy

Thanks for jumping on board........ Wink

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: