BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's up here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That photo of bus #2 was posted on another forum or even Newsgroups several years ago. From what I read, it was an ex TA bus transferred to the Parks Dept. Originally as a TA bus, it had a different fleet number I don't recall, something like 6 or 8.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH wrote:
That photo of bus #2 was posted on another forum or even Newsgroups several years ago. From what I read, it was an ex TA bus transferred to the Parks Dept. Originally as a TA bus, it had a different fleet number I don't recall, something like 6 or 8.

B53Rich:

Thanks for this info; both W.B. and myself were pretty much leaning towards the bus in question as being used by the Parks Department, but neither of us could be at all sure, with no information given in the bus.nycsubway.org photo caption.

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few posts back, I posted a link to a painting of a TARS car barn, during the horse car era; I had inquired whether this huge building was ever used for buses.

While on the subject, did all new SURFACE bus lines utilize ex-TARS facilities for buses (as the new coaches arrived), or were there any new garages built?

Thanks for any info.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on the subject........

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/tars/htm/tars162.htm

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/tars/htm/tars163.htm

(courtesy: newdavesrailpix)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TARS #345, running on the #5 line, making connections with the NYC; note the FORD bus on the right (any clue as to what company was operating it?)

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/tars/htm/tarsfp054.htm

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TARS Yonkers car house, circa-1952.

Interesting to note that this facility had an elevator for storing streetcars on the upper level; the only other two-level car houses that I've ever heard of were CONNECTICUT COMPANY's James St. barn, and B&QT's 9th Avenue facility.

Again, am wondering if buses ever used this depot (would have been interesting seeing them go up in the elevator!)

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/tars/htm/tarst045.htm

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding a couple of the photos you posted....

The Mt. Vernon carbarn...

After the TARS trolleys in Westchester County were gone, that carbarn became a depot for Westchester Street Transportation and known as the Garden Avenue Yard.

The Ford Transit in question I believe is Club Transportation bus.

The carbarn in Yonkers' Main Street, the building is still standing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonkers_Trolley_Barn
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color postcard of the trolley barn in horse drawn days was the 65th Street and Third Avenue headquarters for the Third Avenue Railway.

This was their administrative office, carbarn, and repair shop.

The building was updated later and enlarged. Eventually the Third Avenue el ran right in front of the building.

It was demolished and no buses ever operated from it.
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surface Transportation took over some of the ex-TARS barns and upgraded them for bus operations, for example:

Kingsbridge and Amsterdam.

New York City Omnibus converted the 54th Street and the 146th Street carbarns to buses from New York Railways, the competition to TARS.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

Again, I thank you for both your input and for providing Your's Truly with the information he was seeking......thanks again! Wink

Greatly appreciate the information on the car barns; also, those facilities that later served as bus garages.

I would also imagine that, once a former car barn was slated to become a bus garage, a new ventilation system would have had to be installed, given that the streetcars were electric, and, of course, emitted no exhausts.

Here in New Jersey, most former PSNJ car barns later become bus garages ("ROSEVILLE", "UNION CITY", "GREENVILLE", etc.)

ROSEVILLE (ESSEX Division), was demolished years ago, but had served NJT buses for some years; "UNION CITY" (HUDSON Division) served NJT into the 1990's, when it was closed and now serves as a DPW facility.

AFAIK, "GREENVILLE" (HUDSON Division) was demolished years ago.

Ex-FACCo. garages would have had high ceilings to allow sufficient clearance for the double-deckers; perhaps those ceilings were lowered once the double-deckers were retired, and the new single-deckers took their place.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rare view of NEW YORK RAILWAYS' car barn at 4th Avenue & 32nd (looks like this facility was also furnished with a transfer table)

Am curious to know if NEW YORK OMNIBUS ever used this former streetcar facility......

"NYO"

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/nyc/htm/mnyr29.htm

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

Earlier, you had mentioned TARS Garden Avenue yard; this color photo from 1944 taken at Garden Avenue also shows a 1930's TWIN on the left; also note the "BUS STOP" sign......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?116916

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
A rare view of NEW YORK RAILWAYS' car barn at 4th Avenue & 32nd )lloks like this facility was also furnished with a transfer table.

Am curious to know if NEW YORK OMNIBUS ever used this former streetcar facility......

I doubt it. NYCO did wind up with another depot on 12th Street, that was so limited in space that many buses assigned to it ended up parked on the street when not in service. (And you think the Sanitation Department has problems now, with their parked trucks?)

Wasn't 100th Street once a NYR car barn?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
A rare view of NEW YORK RAILWAYS' car barn at 4th Avenue & 32nd )lloks like this facility was also furnished with a transfer table.

I doubt it. NYCO did wind up with another depot on 12th Street, that was so limited in space that many buses assigned to it ended up parked on the street when not in service. (And you think the Sanitation Department has problems now, with their parked trucks?)

Wasn't 100th Street once a NYR car barn?

W.B:

Thanks.

When a garage has so little space allocated to it that buses had to be parked on the street, that indeed signals the need for a larger garage with ample storage.

I'm not 100% sure, but I also think that NYRy's had a carbarn up on 100th.

Your mention of a garage where buses had to be parked on the sreet made me recall photos I've seen in Chicago during WW2.

To eliminate the wear and tear on buses (and trolley coaches) traveling back and forth to distant depots/garages, CSL (Chicago Surface Lines) purchased a number of vacant storefront blocks, small warehouses, etc. to use as temporary bus garages (the last of these "temporary" facilities was closed by the CTA in 1954)

One such "temporary" facility, while quite commodious and adequate inside, only had two narrow entrances/exits, barely wide enough to accommodate the smaller FORDS and TWIN COACHES of that era.

In fact, the CSL also purchased a vacant service station (Standard Oil), and used it as a trolley bus storage lot, where the coaches could lay over during the off-hours.

The CSL erected surplus line poles and overhead in the former service station area, and, by using overhead switches, tied the new storage facility into an already-existing trolley bus line.

The former service station office was converted for use by CSL employees.

What with stringent wartime rationing of tires and fuel, I would imagine that companies like FACCo. and NYO also sought ways to economize, and also, eliminate extra wear and tear on the buses themselves if it could be at all helped......

'NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Ogden book on FACCo.:

"........along with most other bus companies, Fifth Avenue Coach Co. was ordered by the Department of Defense Transportation to reduce tire mileage and gas consumption with the onset of WW2........."

".......In December, 1942, Route #9 was discontinued (again), Route #19 was operated only during the rush hours, and Route #20 was cut back to 55th St. and 12th Avenue....."

".........The Convent Avenue branch of route #3 together with Route #'s 6, 16, and 20 were all abandoned in June, 1943, but resumed in August, except that Route #16 stayed out of service until November, 1945........."

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: