BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Tale of Two Bus Roll Signs (Time-Sensitive)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: A Tale of Two Bus Roll Signs (Time-Sensitive) Reply with quote

Of informational interest is a new eBay entry, offering for sale (at a pricey price) a 1974 side roll sign detailing Manhattan (and some Bronx and Queens) MaBSTOA routes:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163774002373

Each end of this roll sign indicates this was printed in April of 1974 - some three months prior to the massive changeover in several route numbers to eliminate duplication and, in some cases, triplication that had existed aforehand. (A few surprises to me: a. The 'M10 Bway' next to 'M10 Eighth Avenue-Central Pk W'; the former was a pull-in, pull-out only route [running between 135th Street-Broadway and Fort George], never seen on any bus route maps or route dispatchers' maps, started by Fifth Avenue Coach c.1921, and did not change its route number while 10 of the other OA routes did, and continued to run to about 1976; b. The three legs of the Triborough Bridge route, split into M34, M35 and Bx21, were presented in the 'Tee-Yay' way of showing end destinations rather than overall route description as was with the other OA routes; and c. 'M107 106 St Xtown' listed though it was by all accounts discontinued earlier in the year, and replaced with a 106th Street branch of the M19 - 96th Street Crosstown.)

Then from another eBay seller:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401635074761

of another side sign, this one from c.January 1973 when the first of the GM T6H-5309A's made for MaBSTOA began to run on the city's streets. Notice how the two ex-FACCo excursions into Queens were shown as QM15 and QM16 - which, in that form, duplicated the designations of two Green Bus Lines express bus routes to mid-Manhattan, the former from Lindenwood and the latter from Rockaway Park.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Man, if I only had the dough.....(!!) Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thanks for posting these links; once again (PLEASE forgive me for repeating myself, yet again) your roll sign knowledge truly and totally blows me away.......all the more reason why you have to co-author a MaBSTOA book with our good friend (and our other resident MaBSTOA expert) MaBSTOA 15.

I, myself, have (through you both) have really begun to look into roller signs even more thoroughly than I have in past years; this knowledge of bus route history in the city is beyond fascinating......... Very Happy

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Man, if I only had the dough.....(!!) Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I ain't gonna' argue on that score . . .
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

I ain't gonna' argue on that score . . .

Remember, back in the day (early/mid-80's) when one could visit the Transit Museum at bring home all sorts of goodies for (literally!) pocket change?? Shocked

I still remember buying (subway) roll sign remnants for a quarter, and paying only a few dollars for car number plates and other assorted hardware.

I also grabbed a GMC horn button for $5.00 (this was about 1982)

NO WONDER they were the GOOD OLD DAYS!!!!!!!! Very Happy

I STILL remember buying a set of "Arnine" front sign boxes for $20.00(!!) and having a co-worker/buddy of mine help me lug them back to the PABT, where I caught my bus (ex-ORANGE & BLACK Fishbowl!) back to NJ! (circa 1981) Wink

Today, I have the signs set for the old "AA".......... Very Happy Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: