BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jerusalem's "PABT"/Desert Buses/Etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREYHOUND buses overseas.......

It is interesting, to say the least, to imagine a SCENICRUISER operating on a Middle Eastern route; of course, this never happened, despite several SCENICRUISERS sent to Korea for operation there.

Too, although for promotional use only, EASTERN GREYHOUND LINES "Cruiser" #4374 toured Europe*, in late 1961 (teamed with PAN AM)

GREYHOUND drivers, PAN AM** stewardessess, and U.S. Government representatives from the Department of Immigration were on this tour; also on board were colorful figures from American history, including Native American Indians, forest rangers, and cowboys.

This tour lasted one month, and visited 13 cities, including London, Amsterdam, Rome, and Paris........

"NYO"

*The tour's slogan was: "SEE THE USA THE PAN AM GREYHOUND WAY".

** The bus also displayed PAN AM logos.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Please keep me posted on this...I am most interested..... Wink

"NYO"

You bet...if and when they reply...
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Please keep me posted on this...I am most interested..... Wink

"NYO"

Wow, I didn't have to wait long for a response...here's their answer:

"Sometime in the early 1960s Greyhound began to combine operations and equipment of Central and Western Greyhound Lines as a single unit. When the first MC-5s were built for Greyhound in 1964, Western Greyhound received 200. They were numbered from 2600 to 2799. My best guess is that the Central Greyhound Lines number series from 2200 to 2999 being unused at that time made it a logical choice to begin numbering these new buses starting with 2600. Subsequent orders for Western-Central Greyhound were numbered from 2800 – 2894, 2900 – 2925, 2400 – 2599 and 2200 – 2284. It wasn’t until 1967 - 68 that an order of MCI MC5As for Western were numbered from 8700 on up into the 8800s and in the early 1970s 2200 – 2284 were renumbered into the 7200 series. This avoided renumbering Western’s active older bus fleet (GM PD 4104s, 06s and PD 4501 Scenics) in Western’s 7000 – 8000 number series to fit them in. As a general rule Greyhound would let a fleet number series stay unused for about 2 years after the last buses in that series were sold off."
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I'll say you DIDN'T have to wait long for a response from the guys at the PBM! Very Happy

Thanks for sharing the response here! Wink

Numbering (and re-numbering) bus fleets over the course of the years is yet another interesting facet of bygone bus operations that, at least to me, does not seem to be discussed all that often.

With GREYHOUND once operating so many divisions, back in the day, not only the numbering was interesting, but also, the assignments of different types of buses to certain routes (SCENICRUISERS, 4104's, 06's, SILVERSIDES, etc.)

In my collection, I have a VERY large tin friction GREYHOUND 4104, lettered "PENNSYLVANIA GREYHOUND LINES", numbered "C-1451")

The old "STRAYHOUND", "BLUE DOGS AND RED DOGS", and "SCENICRUISER.com) sites were invaluable tools for getting "in depth" information on both "The Hound" and "Big Red"........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in the PBM collection, 1985 GLW MC-9 #9049........

https://pacbus.org/museum-roster/greyhound-lines-west-9049/

(courtesy: Pacific Bus Museum)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-WGL Fishbowl #9706 (another in the PBM collection ) recalls the era of GREYHOUND's suburban buses on the West Coast.......

https://pacbus.org/museum-roster/western-greyhound-lines-9706/

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBM's GM Old Look #K-1407, another relic of the days when GREYHOUND was still operating commuter service on the West Coast.......

https://pacbus.org/museum-roster/pacific-greyhound-lines-k1407/

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another PBM prize (with an interesting history!) is this iconic SCENICRUISER (Western Greyhound Lines).........

https://pacbus.org/museum-roster/western-greyhound-lines-8005/

traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ink:

Numbering (and re-numbering) bus fleets over the course of the years is yet another interesting facet of bygone bus operations that, at least to me, does not seem to be discussed all that often.

With GREYHOUND once operating so many divisions, back in the day, not only the numbering was interesting, but also, the assignments of different types of buses to certain routes (SCENICRUISERS, 4104's, 06's, SILVERSIDES, etc.)

In my collection, I have a VERY large tin friction GREYHOUND 4104, lettered "PENNSYLVANIA GREYHOUND LINES", numbered "C-1451")

The old "STRAYHOUND", "BLUE DOGS AND RED DOGS", and "SCENICRUISER.com) sites were invaluable tools for getting "in depth" information on both "The Hound" and "Big Red"........

"NYO"

Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines used a 'P' prefix...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Interesting!

Wonder how the toy PGL 4104 I have received a "C" prefix...... Shocked

This just got me to thinking; did GREYHOUND ever assign a bus(buses) from one division to another, to, say, possibly "fill in" for a bus (or buses) that might have been OOS for some reason?

For instance, would an EASTERN GREYHOUND LINES bus have ever found itself being temporarily assigned to CENTRAL routes?

Just curious.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "I was just wondering"........

GREYHOUND driver seniority:

Could a driver from EASTERN GREYHOUND bid for a route operated by, say, CENTRAL GREYHOUND, or, was his seniority restricted only to his "home" "division"?

Bus assignments:

Would/could a 4104/4106 be substituted for a SCENICRUISER in a given situation?

Thanks in advance, as always, for input.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

error redacted
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Interesting!

Wonder how the toy PGL 4104 I have received a "C" prefix...... Shocked

This just got me to thinking; did GREYHOUND ever assign a bus(buses) from one division to another, to, say, possibly "fill in" for a bus (or buses) that might have been OOS for some reason?

For instance, would an EASTERN GREYHOUND LINES bus have ever found itself being temporarily assigned to CENTRAL routes?

Just curious.....

"NYO"

In regular service, GL had lots of inter-division pools, which were simply buses carrying license plates (before the 'IFTA' stickers ended that need), for all the states they operated in. Each division would contribute their pro-rated share of buses according to mileage to the pool. It was always neat to see the 'exotic' collection of license plates on Coast to Coast thru buses, regardless of which division owned them. I always liked Wyoming's cowboy on a bronco plate.

In addition, in hubs like St. Louis where several division's 'met', sometimes buses for various reasons were used 'off division', but would be sent 'home', as soon as possible, for both licensing and accounting purposes.
If one division's buses were reassigned to another's, they would usually, but not always, renumber them.
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "I was just wondering"........

GREYHOUND driver seniority:

Could a driver from EASTERN GREYHOUND bid for a route operated by, say, CENTRAL GREYHOUND, or, was his seniority restricted only to his "home" "division"?

Bus assignments:

Would/could a 4104/4106 be substituted for a SCENICRUISER in a given situation?

Thanks in advance, as always, for input.......

"NYO"

Not only could an EGL driver not bid an assignment off division, he could not bid an assignment outside his local ATU seniority district on his division.
This all changed after the big sale of the company, big strike, and reorganization in 1987, which established a single national seniority local and district.

If another Scenicruiser wasn't available for a regular assignment, then whatever was available would be used...sometimes causing the need for two, if the load was beyond what the smaller bus had for capacity. A difference of five seats.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Once again, you've provided MORE than enough to further educate Your's Truly in the ever-fascinating history of "The Hound"......thank you! Wink

License plates:

Some of the vintage tin-litho GREYHOUND buses I have in my collection also sport "plates" from different states.

Back in the day, you would find yourself getting a free "trip-around-the-country" tour, courtesy of all those plates....QUITE colodful, also! Very Happy

A number of photos (b/w and color) in the McNally/Rayman book on the SCENICRUISER, show many photos of Hounds sporting the plates of several states; in a June, 1965 GREYHOUND ad, a SCENICRUISER is seen with no less than eight plates displayed (one had to be mounted VERTICALLY to get it to fit!) Shocked

This reminds me of being at a railroad grade crossing, eons ago, and watching a lumbering freight clatter and rumble past, getting another type of American "geography lesson", by reading the memorable slogans adorning so many box cars representing railroads from so many different states.....ahh, 'tis bittersweet to recall the legendary "Fallen Flags" of another era.

FLXIBLE's intercity coaches (beginning with the CLIPPERS in 1940) featured a spring-tension (to reduce rattle) mounting at the rear, designed to hold between one to four plates, making it easier to change plates when crossing state lines.......

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: