BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dateline: 1969 (also, other assorted vintage scenes)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
In regarding FACCo/ST/MaBSTOA, I can only imagine at how many vintage photos of these buses still exist today (photos that neither you nor I have ever seen), stored away in someone's dark closet, attic, or basement.

That is literally how Frederic Kramer's book Building The Independent Subway came about. The pics in that book - dealing with construction of the IND - were literally found in a dumpster somewhere, either 'Tee-Yay' headquarters or other pertinent grounds.

W.B.:

I have that same book, and still derive great pleasure from it.

One can only imagine the hundreds (if not thousands) of old equipment file photos (and other historical items) that were simply tossed like any other trash.

Too, look at the old photos showing retired buses and subway cars being scrapped, with ALL hardware still intact!!!!!!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad

NO WONDER that such items as roller signs (with or without sign boxes), fare boxes, controllers, brake handles, air pressure gauges, etc., are now highly sough after (EXPENSIVE) collector's items today.

I still recall fondly the good old days when I could take the IRT Lex down from Grand Central over to the Transit Museum on a Saturday, back in the early 80's, and come home with a load of goodies that usually cost me about $25.00...or, many times, even LESS! Very Happy

When I look up on my wall and see the number plate from an IRT Lo-V (#5530) and remember happily handing over $10 to the Museum Store clerk, back around 1981, it's like I am recalling another lifetime on another planet......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A perfect example of sheer stupidity on the part of the MTA can clearly be seen here:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?22066

In true "Godfather" fashion, the famed Redbirds (like Corleone Family heavy Luca Brasi) were destined to "sleep with the fishes".

Note that the cars were delivered to Davey Jones' Locker with all standee straps intact.

Just think of the money that the MTA could have made by removing those classic straps and selling them at the Museum Stores!

What a waste!!! Sad

Then again, perhaps the MTA thought that Ariel, Sebastian, and a certain Mr. Henry Limpet (who was originally from Brooklyn, before he was transformed into a fish off the Steeplechase Pier in 1941!) were entitled to some basic conveniences during their commutes between Atlantica and Coney Island......(!!) Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also......

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Scrapyard_and_Car_Disposal

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With only one R-11 car in existence today, one can only dare to dream how many $$$$$$ would have to be shelled out to nab a set of these roller sign boxes (that is, IF another set even exists today)....... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?145598

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......aahhh, to be able to go back in time a few decades and grab the complete set of roll signs/boxes from both these MaBSTOA classics upon their retirement......(!!) Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3174

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1289

(courtesy: bus.nycsu bway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"DITTO"!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2720

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2578 *

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

*the ad placards adorning #8395 are true "blasts from the past" in this 1973 photo, especially the one for the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon!
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"DITTO"!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2720

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2578 *

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

*the ad placards adorning #8395 are true "blasts from the past" in this 1973 photo, especially the one for the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon!

#8391 and #8395 used recycled front roll signs first used for the first OA order of 5303's in 1963 (within 3301-3555). We know from pics on bus.nycsubway.org's library that Amsterdam, West Farms and 132nd Street were among the four depots/garages to which they were originally assigned; but the question remains, what was the other, and what other routes would have had that type layout on the front?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

I am now TOTALLY convinced that, at some point in the past, received a Bachelor's Degree in ("ARAR") "Advanced Rollsign Archeolgy Research"....... Wink

You leave me QUITE in awe of your knowledge, sir....... Idea

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting bit from Guy E. Martin's "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES".......

".........for the first time, green-and-gray 102 inch-wide buses roamed Manhattan streets. Low numbered, former NEW YORK OMNIBUS TD-4506's, dating back to 1946, were assigned to Surface routes, replacing some Macks......"

".........So much equipment changed hands that a problem with duplication of numbers existed. The quick fix was to add a "T" prefix to ex-TA buses, and an "S" to former Surface buses. Many buses simply ran on their old routes with no effort to replace destination signs........."

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also from from the aforementioned book:

"..........the only GM New Look buses to operate on Surface Transit were never red. Here, green and cream TDH-5301, #3208, is shown on a warm day in May, 1962, at Southern Boulevard and 175th St. Route 31 ran along Southern Boulevard from 133rd St. to Fordham Road........."

"........while only 50 New Looks were assigned to Surface Transit, Route 31 made extensive use of them. Many less-patronized routes rarely saw this type of GM bus............"

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historical sidenote:

On this day in 1969, at 4:20 PM, Man landed on the Moon.

Six hours after landing, Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the lunar surface.

My family, like millions of others, were truly and totally mesmerized, mom, Dad, and I were glued to our big, bulky 1966 Motorola color set in our old Union City (NJ) apartment.

Today's tech-savvy generation will never know the excitement and thrill we experienced, on the day a half-century ago.

Odd to think that, at the time, while Man was first exploring the Moon on foot, wooden elevated trains were still rattling, clattering, and growling above Myrtle Avenue in Brooklyn! (and Old Looks and Fishbowls were still commonplace, everyday sights!)

Dang, I was only 12, back then.......... Shocked Rolling Eyes

Too, as another lifelong passion of mine has always been the Moon and astronomy in general, the memories of this awesome day are still vivid and still give me a thrill (you could then also go to your local GULF station and get a cardboard punch-out model of the lunar module; I also well remember Walter Cronkite's "outer space" coverage, sponsored by GULF)

Neil, Buzz, and Michael....you did us proud! Very Happy

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historical sidenote:

Six hours after landing, Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the lunar surface.

My family, like millions of others, were truly and totally mesmerized, mom, Dad, and I were glued to our big, bulky 1966 Motorola color set in our old Union City (NJ) apartment.

Today's tech-savvy generation will never know the excitement and thrill we experienced, on the day a half-century ago.

Odd to think that, at the time, while Man was first exploring the Moon on foot, wooden elevated trains were still rattling, clattering, and growling above Myrtle Avenue in Brooklyn! (and Old Looks and Fishbowls were still commonplace, everyday sights!)

Too, as another lifelong passion of mine has always been the Moon and astronomy in general, the memories of this awesome day are still vivid and still give me a thrill (you could then also go to your local GULF station and get a cardboard punch-out model of the lunar module; I also well remember Walter Cronkite's "outer space" coverage, sponsored by GULF)

"NYO"

Didn't Gulf actually sponsor Huntley-Brinkley's coverage of the moon landing (with them basically leaving the driving, a la Greyhound, to Frank McGee, as they did not have the interest in the space program that Cronkite had) on NBC? And I.I.N.M., Tang sponsored CBS's coverage.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also from from the aforementioned book:

"..........the only GM New Look buses to operate on Surface Transit were never red. Here, green and cream TDH-5301, #3208, is shown on a warm day in May, 1962, at Southern Boulevard and 175th St. Route 31 ran along Southern Boulevard from 133rd St. to Fordham Road........."

"........while only 50 New Looks were assigned to Surface Transit, Route 31 made extensive use of them. Many less-patronized routes rarely saw this type of GM bus............"

Ah, 3208. That was the bus I remember seeing in that book. On the side, operator divvied up between rear door exit (signified by a forward slash) as 'SURFACE TRANSIT / INC. OPERATOR' If FACL New Look photos are rare (irrespective of what people like myself put up), ST New Look pics are even rarer. (The last Old Looks ordered for ST - Mack 3000-3009 and GM 3020-3059 - weren't red either.)

When the last 100 New Looks (3111-3160 branded FACL) had their debut in November 1960, The New York Times noted that they would run on a total of 17 routes. Examples from pics already on here were NYCO's #2 and 16, FACO 5, and ST's 104, 106 and 31. Of the first 20 (1-10 and 3101-3110), NYCO's #1, 2 and 10, and FACO's #3, 4 and 5, were confirmed to run these 'newies'. (That's 10 routes right there in the waning year and a third of the FACL/ST era before MaBSTOA took over, what would have been the other 7?)
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, here's a pic of #4401, bearing their second paint job c.1978 and holding down route #Q43, long before being rebuilt by Blitz as 5227.

nycta-4401_repaint_c1978.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.06 KB
 Viewed:  11105 Time(s)

nycta-4401_repaint_c1978.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Historical sidenote:

"NYO"

Didn't Gulf actually sponsor Huntley-Brinkley's coverage of the moon landing (with them basically leaving the driving, a la Greyhound, to Frank McGee, as they did not have the interest in the space program that Cronkite had) on NBC? And I.I.N.M., Tang sponsored CBS's coverage.

W.B.:

Yes, TANG did sponsor CBS's coverage; many years later, I read that one of the fellows up there (can't remember which one) made a comment on TANG to his two buddies, totally unaware that all the guys down in Mission Control also heard him (providing them all with much hilarity, I might add!):

"Man, this TANG really makes you f**t!"Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

Getting back to the buses, I used to call the New Looks "Jetson buses", because they looked so futuristic compared to the Old Looks and MACKS!

Man, where did a half-century get too?? Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 14 of 29

Jump to: