BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dateline: 1969 (also, other assorted vintage scenes)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
1977 was the last year of revenue service for the remaining prewar IND cars*.

This photo at Stillwell Avenue (of course, Fishbowls were VERY plentiful back then!) truly is a time warp.

Also, on the left, note the old steel line pole that, for decades, carried wire for the streetcars.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1789

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

*Last time I rode these venerable old relics was on the rush-hour "CC", back in 1975.

Based on the way those cars were kept, and what routes and destinations were shown, this would appear to be a 'museum train' run. If only the last of the 'Arnines' that were by then exclusively running on the Eastern Division, were as well-kept.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

I always thought it ironic that the cars so associated with ONLY the IND for so many years, ended their service lives on the former BMT.

Sort of fitting, though, in a way, as the new "city cars" were tested out on the BMT's Sea Beach line in 1931, prior to the opening of the new INDEPENDENT.......

"NYO"........
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellows:

Thinking about the subways, an older buff/historian like myself cannot help but lament over how much has vanished from the subways, over the past 50-odd years.

Growing up in the early/mid-60's, I can still clearly remember:

Prewar rolling stock (complete with grinding gears, growling motors, thumping compressors, rattan seating and bare light bulbs!)

"Subway Sun" car card ads

"Miss Subways"

Wooden turnstiles

1920's/1930's-vintage change/token booths (with brass window grills)

Incandescent lighting in stations and tunnels.

SMEE IRT cars

Car lights that blinked off and on when the train was going through a third-rail gap.

Penny candy/gum machines

BMT "buzz boxes" at certain stations

Railfan windows (sadly, soon to be extinct)

Wooden escalators (the last one I remember was at the #7's 61st St./Woodside station, in the very early 80's)

IRT kiosks (these once-so-familiar structures were featured in countless old movies and animated theatrical cartoons; when you saw an IRT kiosk on screen you KNEW whatever you were watching was set in "Noo Yawk", and nowhere else!

The old South Ferry loop station with its always fascinating gap fillers (my mother always called them "pneumatic gates"!)

Though I'm now in my early 60's and with gray hair, in my memories, I'm still that carefree lad again, savoring both the subways and the buses of "The New York That Used To Be"; today, now only a fabled, storied land that exists only in memory, old photos, and vintage films.

All I can say is, I'm forever indebted to a wonderful lady, my late Mom, who went far, far beyond the call of duty when I was growing up, always happily indulging my tremendous infatuation with all things transit.......Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting old photo.....

Note that the lead (R-16) car on this Canarsie line (then the BMT #16, today's "L") train has been painted gold for the 5th Avenue Golden Jubilee celebration:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?87166

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

And, bus-wise...... Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3398

traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a four car train of Lionel R-16's to go around the Christmas tree each year.... Cool
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I've got a four car train of Lionel R-16's to go around the Christmas tree each year.... Cool

traildriver:

Now THAT is SUPER-COOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Smile Smile

(You can pretend that the R-16's are circling the Rockefeller Center tree!) Shocked Shocked

Add a few CORGI "Noo Yawk" buses, and you're all set!! Wink

Many, many years ago, when I was still working downtown, I often took a quick "coffee break" jaunt on the 16's, either one stop into Brooklyn (Court St.), or to the echoing, haunting, monolithic shell of a station known as Chambers St.

I used to get a kick at how the panels for the rebuilt door motor housings slanted inwards; reminded me of the interior of a London tube car! Shocked

LOVED that half-opening porthole railfan window, allowing you to savor the rich, subway-scented breeze! Very Happy (damn, what today's younger subway enthusiasts have missed!)

Today, when you swipe your Metrocard in an electronic turnstile and hear a chirpy "beep" in your ears, it is a FAR CRY from the wonderful sound of a TOKEN dropping into the slot, followed by the satisfyingly heavy "KER-CLUNK!" of heavy wooden arms as you passed through the turnstile.......THAT was "Noo Yawk"! Very Happy

I was a die-hard R-10 "Thunderbirds"/"Pattons" fan for eons, and really missed them once they vanished from the "C" (old "CC")

I also really liked the R-27/R30's, but they only lasted a few years after the 10's were retired in 1989. Sad

Ahhh, but what memories! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washington Plaza, 1972.

Truly a classic and timeless "meet", here.......

Here we have several Fishbowls still attired in "Tee-Yay" green (LOVE those "40 TO PENNSYLVANIA AV" roller curtains!) while a train of growling prewar IND cars rumbles by overhead (I HATED the "Ronan Era" acheme on the old IND cars (but, then again, I wasn't all that crazy for it on the other rolling stock, either!)

The two-tone blue that the MTA began applying to the BUSES indeed looked MUCH nicer...... Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?357

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New York Omnibus 2629...Just for you... take a hard look at the destination sign

I remember seen PD-4104 of Campus Coach Lines buses parked outside Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium as they waited for the players to ferry them over to the airport for their "away" games

campus.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.88 KB
 Viewed:  15775 Time(s)

campus.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'd KILL to have that roll sign in my collection today!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

This is the FIRST time I have ever seen a roller curtain with a "METS" reading!! Shocked

Let's home that this rare photo is a good omen for the "Amazins" in 2020!! Very Happy

Thanks for posting this gem.....you REALLY made my day!! Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, Campus was the carrier of choice for most of the professional sports teams. Academy seems to have inherited that distinction....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
IIRC, Campus was the carrier of choice for most of the professional sports teams. Academy seems to have inherited that distinction....

traildriver:

I cannot tell you how many eons it has been since I last saw a CAMPUS bus; ditto, ACADEMY.

ACADEMY, for many years, operated the "22 HILLSIDE" and the rush-hour "BOULEVARD EAST" routes, both of which I used frequently for many years.

NJT took these routes over sometime in the early 2000's (around the time Your's Truly retired) and then saw fit to cut back the #22 to Nungessers, leaving my area with even less bus service (TONS of dollar vans, though!)

It has also been many years since I saw an ACADEMY bus of any type; I remember, quite awhile ago, they also operated PREVOST coaches as well.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parsons & 88th, 1979......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?666

1979....a full decade after the monumental year of 1969, the year the "Swingin' 60's" faded into history.

Back in '69, you could still ride prewar subway cars (in diminishing numbers); Old Looks and Macks were on borrowed time, but still on the job.

The famed Myrtle Avenue El was about to close down that October.

The "Amazins" were hotter than a grill at Nedick's that year..

The Beatles were splitting up.

Man set foot on the surface of the Moon.

Former President Dwight D. Eisenhower passed away..........

In 1979, Your's Truly began working on "The Street", and would do so until retiring in early 2003.

The Beatles had long since gone their separate ways.

The last of the veteran prewar IND cars had already been gone for two years; Old Looks and Macks were now history.

In 1980, one year later, there was the New York Transit Strike, the summer-long PATH strike (I well remember being affected by both), the death of one of my favorite actors, Peter Sellers (just a week-and-a-half after my Dad passed away), and in December, the senseless murder of John Lennon.

In all honesty, I cannot recall much of anything pleasant that year........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to believe that this now-classic (JAMAICA) photo was taken 41 years ago, in 1979......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?669

Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode all three of the Jbl buses many times back in the day. The flxible got used a lot on charter work for schools.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny Tim wrote:
I rode all three of the Jbl buses many times back in the day. The flxible got used a lot on charter work for schools.

Tiny Tim:

Like so many of us, you knew certain buses in a fleet quite well; I was the same with many of the older buses in NewJjersey, long ago.

You mentioned the Flxible got a lot of work on charter runs for school.

Here in New Jersey, pre-NJT PSNJ/TNJ charters were quite popular for many years, utilizing both transit and suburban models.

Those days are now long, long gone.

The last Flex New Looks left my area over 20 years ago, and I still miss them....they were great buses.

Getting back to 1969, in my area of North Jersey, the last MACKS and WHITES were now gone, as were the oldest square-window Old Looks.

However, post-1948 Old Looks continued in use on some of the indies for many more years; the last few were gone by 1986.

As I grew up with buses like these, I truly felt an era had ended, when they vanished from the streets.....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 28 of 29

Jump to: