BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now it's time to say good-bye...to the faithful RTS.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(see earlier posts)-------Regarding roller curtain/electronic "Torpedo" signage---------going by the countless photos Your's Truly has gone through during the past few years it looks as though the last RTS to be equipped with roller curtains were the Series "04"; though quite a few photos also show "04s" furnished with electronic signs----------"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
WB: THANK YOU! Wink These pictures clearly show the "graphics" that distinguished the different type-signs; interestingly the Queens "indies" preferred old-fashioned roller curtains on their "Torpedos"-----at least early on----------BTW: what types of electronic signage is used on the "Slinkies"/"shoeboxes"/"Dusbusters" of today? Are these of the type used on the subway cars or are they are of a different type altogether? (I know those used on the subway cars are "color coded" for the different lines)------"NYO"

Next time I board one of any of the above, I'll have to look closely as I enter.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB: The "Slinkies"/Dustbusters"/"electric eels" etc are (scary to say) are so downright HIDEOUS they outdo our current "fleet' here in "Noo Yawk"!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked------I would guess that today current insects and eels use signage that has the old signs (like "Transdot") looking quite old-fashioned-------I recall when the "Are-62's" on the "Eye-Are-Tee" were new in the 80's (and for years afterwards) utilized roller signs in side windows-when were these replaced with the current electronic signs?; I will be wagering these hi-tech signs could not last 30-40-50 years like the good ol' tried-and'-true roller signs---------aaahhh progress------- Razz "NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier I had brought up the subject of second-hand "Noo Yawk" RTS (Fort Worth/Boston) did any other properties get ex-"Noo Yawk" RTS? (I know the ones that went to Boston were used in charter/tour operations)-----"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB: The "Slinkies"/Dustbusters"/"electric eels" etc are (scary to say) are so downright HIDEOUS they outdo our current "fleet' here in "Noo Yawk"!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked------I would guess that today current insects and eels use signage that has the old signs (like "Transdot") looking quite old-fashioned-------I recall when the "Are-62's" on the "Eye-Are-Tee" were new in the 80's (and for years afterwards) utilized roller signs in side windows-when were these replaced with the current electronic signs?; I will be wagering these hi-tech signs could not last 30-40-50 years like the good ol' tried-and'-true roller signs---------aaahhh progress------- Razz "NYO"

You're telling me? . . . Over at 34th and Seventh, on the SW corner, there is now a Swarovski store, they were there since 2010, they got a swanky new LED-based digital clock made by WatchFire Signs that, over the last year or so, has "not worked" more often than "worked" . . . compare that to the "old-style" digital clock (with small incandescent bulbs) at that location when, from 1969 to 2010, what started out as M. Wexler & Sons and evolved by the 1980's as Tourneau Corner had a clock that, at the start, told "Accutron Time," and whose controls apparently were from the same company (Time-O-Matic, done to Bulova's specifications, even down to counting 1/10 of a second) as the one in place from 1965 to 1976 to accompany the Bulova EPOK ad at the NE corner of 46th and Broadway in Times Square. Though the 34th and 7th clock at times got a bit "wonky" over the years, it managed to stay on throughout those first 41 years. Very few pics of that location taken in the first 41 years, however, exist.

One rare example is this video up on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxvyUmuOwQU&t=158s
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB-------this info does not surprise Your's Truly in the least; sad all of this high-tech junk is not courtesy of the good ol' USA-is built for a "throw-away-society"-has the appeal of a can opener-and is far too $$$$$$$-----I'll take bare light bulbs and roller curtains anyday! Wink---------- "NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB----------I'd brought up second-hand "Noo Yawk" RTS-know we know Fort Worth purchased a group; others went to Boston for tour/charter runs-------then there were those that journeyed across the Hudson to "Joisey" which Your's Truly rode often on the "22 HILLSIDE" long years back------I wonder of other second-hand RTS courtesy of "Noo Yawk" being sold for further operation elsewhere--------"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB----------I'd brought up second-hand "Noo Yawk" RTS-know we know Fort Worth purchased a group; others went to Boston for tour/charter runs-------then there were those that journeyed across the Hudson to "Joisey" which Your's Truly rode often on the "22 HILLSIDE" long years back------I wonder of other second-hand RTS courtesy of "Noo Yawk" being sold for further operation elsewhere--------"NYO"

Very likely. Especially those purchased the the "Port-of-Authority" and leased to the "Tee-Yay" or " 'stoa."

We know a few ex-"Tee-Yay" and " 'stoa" "Borough Bombers," when returned to Flxible, went to various cities as rebuilt Metros with nary an incident.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB:---------Yours Truly's recollections recall NJT's old 870's as being TRUE workhorses; I rode these buses for years; one QUITE interesting scene I recall years ago was when one of NJT's original artics (I HATED these junkers!) had broken down and had to be pushed up Edgewater Road hill the short distance (just up the hill) to the ex-O&B garage-----an 870-instead of an NJT tow truck)-PUSHED the disabled "Slinky" up the hill-roaring to beat the band-----BUT it got the job done-how I wish I was able to take a few photos of this great feat!! Wink ------"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"En-Jay-Tee's" 870's sure made use of Luminator fonts.

Where I lived for 40 years, in the early years of my living there many an "En-Jay-Tee" bus model MC-9 from MCI, passed by whilst en route to the PABT; they used the exact same Luminator electronic sign apparatus that was used on the 1982 order of "Em-Tee-Yay" "Are-Tee-Ess" "Torpedos." A sample can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NJ_Transit_bus_fleet#/media/File:NJ_Transit_PA6106.jpg

On both that fleet and the "Torpedos," if not working properly they would occasionally flash all lower-case letters. Of which can be found here:

https://www.rollsigngallery.com/esigns/collection/Gulton/esigngulton.html

https://www.rollsigngallery.com/esigns/lumfontgraphics.html

(On the latter link, "5x7" was the main font on post-1981 signs; before that they used the RO3-2513 type, big changes came with such characters as 2, 3, 6, 9 and hyphen.)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB: GREAT links/pics; thanks for posting! Wink I still cannot grasp that NJT's 870's are now gone eons; to say this fellow is less than thrilled by what replaced the hard-working 870's is indeed 100% truth; don't get Your's Truly started at those insipid NABIs (aka "rolling shoeboxes") Sad ---------"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to grasp that this year will be the FIFTH since the last of the RTS (aka "Torpedo") operated in "Noo Yawk"------like the iconic Fishbowls and the workaday "Dangerfields"-we thought they'd be with us for eternity------how quickly the years go (personally-I think that the "Torpedo" was the LAST good-looking and RELIABLE bus to be built within our borders---------------I wonder if at least one "Noo Yawk" RTS escaped the torch-------"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought: HAD a large order of early "slant back" RTS been purchased-instead of the "Booby Trap Specials"-I wonder just how big an order it would be----as big as the order for the "Booby Trap Specials"? Larger? Scaled back? Of course-had "slant back" RTS ("Torpedos") been purchased (circa-1979)-they'd be later retrofitted with updated a/c-and thus losing their original slanted rears in the process------"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought: HAD a large order of early "slant back" RTS been purchased-instead of the "Booby Trap Specials"-I wonder just how big an order it would be----as big as the order for the "Booby Trap Specials"? Larger? Scaled back? Of course-had "slant back" RTS ("Torpedos") been purchased (circa-1979)-they'd be later retrofitted with updated a/c-and thus losing their original slanted rears in the process------"NYO"

It's as if the "Em-Tee-Yay" wanted all the RTS "bugs" ironed out before they committed.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

It's as if the "Em-Tee-Yay" wanted all the RTS "bugs" ironed out before they committed.
WB:On the surface-that indeed would be sensible; BUT--------------so-----ya wanna talk about "ironing out bugs"?? Let's see----why is a certain boxy and ill-fated bus that debuted in the late 1970s-----now rattling through Your's Truly's head? Rolling Eyes (Canadian-built Fishbowls-----I think-could also been an option; these buses did operate for QUEENS TRANSIT)------------"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 29 of 31

Jump to: