BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A bus New York truly NEEDS ("MBU's").......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: A bus New York truly NEEDS ("MBU's")....... Reply with quote

Fellows:

This has been on my mind for the past few weeks, now.......

Given the fact that, in the past few years we have, sadly, seen far too many upswings in intolerance and hatred (far too many types to even begin to list), I think, now is most certainly the time for the humble bus.......a NEW YORK bus (or, more accurately, buses) to make a "statement".

A bus, like a subway car, is perhaps the most humble of all mass transit vehicles; they convey all types of people, of every color, race, creed, and nation.

Buses carry the poor and the better-off; they carry young and old, white and non-white, straight, gay, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist; a a bus (if a bus could think or feel) it would be all the same, from the vehicle's standpoint, all in a day's work.

Now, given the fact the wraps are today commonplace (and often eye-catching), it indeed would, I feel, be a step in the right direction if the MTA chose ONE bus from each of its depots, and "wrapped" it in a design that would reflect the many rich cultures and heritages that have made New York the great and diverse city that it is today.

These buses would travel along their regular routes, to every part of the city, bringing with them a silent (but powerful) message that requires no speech nor language to understand.

A "wrap", perhaps, based upon the designs of different nations' flags, certainly would not only be quite eye-catching but, also (and more importantly) at least TRY to convey a sense of brotherhood between all New Yorkers.

With so much violence and hatred now even going beyond the borders of the racial and religious, I think it is LONG overdue to stop a moment and think to themselves: "Hey, you know what? We are ALL New Yorkers...... we're ALL in this TOGETHER.......and it is up to US to TRY to make a difference!"

I truly believe that, such a "Bus Of Brotherhood", would, at the VERY least, make folks STOP and PAUSE for a moment......and say to themselves: "You know, I CAN make a DIFFERENCE if I TRY!"

Of course, realistically (and sadly), hatred and intolerance will always be a part of society (in New York and elsewhere) it is far better to at least ATTEMPT to try to to bring folks together (and not drive them further apart)....and, what better vehicle for such a noble task as the humble BUS.

We can, at the very least, TRY to put "hot button" personal issues aside, and TRY to foster a spirit of mutual respect, trust, tolerance, and brotherhood with others.

In closing, I thank you all for allowing me to express my ideas and thoughts, here.......Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....if such buses were ever to hit the streets, perhaps such buses could be termed ("MBU's") "Mobile Brotherhood Units".

At the very least, such buses would remind one and all that we are ALL brothers........a VERY worthwhile cause!

Just a thought......Very Happy

"NYO"
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea, particularly for the city in which the United Nations has been headquartered since 1945.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Excellent idea, particularly for the city in which the United Nations has been headquartered since 1945.

Q65A:

Thank you! Wink

It's funny that you mentioned the United Nations; in the softcover book "AMERICAN BUSES" (David Jacobs, 1985) there is a beautiful color photo of an RTS swinging onto 42nd St., with the UN majestically rising in the background.

IMHO, I think that "MBU" buses not only would help to foster a spirit of brotherhood in the masses, but, also, encourage them to read up on different countries, people, and cultures......loving history and geography as I have always have, this, in itself, can be a great source of enjoyment (and education) as well.

It's like the old saying goes: "If you're gonna play the game, it helps to learn about the players."........ Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF "MBU" buses were to become a reality in New York, they would (without a doubt) constitute a TRUE "heritage" fleet! Wink

Heck, one bus could even be wrapped to honor the great diversity in the ranks of City's transit workers, from the earliest days, up to, and including, the present.

There are so many interesting possibilities, here.

If, indeed, New York is a greatly diverse city (reflected in its transit operations) a "MBU" bus, selected to represent over a century of diversity in transit workers would truly be honoring the men and women who have taken pride in New York's bus, subway/el (and streetcar) operations, over the course of 100 years plus.

Such a tribute, I feel, long overdue; true, the NYCTM has payed homage to transit workers over these past years, but a "rolling tribute" to these employees of past and present would really get folks' attention, even if they have never set foot in the Museum.

The "Train Of Many Colors", consisting of vintage, historic IRT "SMEE" could also be the basis for a wrapped train (one for each division) reflecting the City's many cultures and heritages.

Just thinking out loud, here.......... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just now picturing a wrapped "MBU" artic........think of the graphics! Shocked

Such a eye-popping unit would, I am sure, at least suggest to riders, pedestrians, and motorists alike to pay a visit (hopefully, via bus!) to the UN......... Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......reflecting on the horrific mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton this past weekend, I feel that if EVER the City Of New York NEEDED an "MBU" bus, it most CERTAINLY would be NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Currently, I'm thinking of a bus (buses) sporting striping just below the windows, somewhat similar to the checkered stripes on taxis, but, instead of black and white checks, have the flags of all nations displayed within the striping.

Right now, we're going BACKWARDS instead of FORWARDS, and it is getting quite unnerving and distressing.

Yes, indeed we NEED an "MBU" (or several) on the streets...not just here, but in other cities as well......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......what I think is REALLY needed now is not so much an "MBU" bus, but, instead, a "PABFAN" unit:

"PEACE AND BROTHERHOOD FOR ALL NOW!"

Hate, sadly, indeed is a POWERFUL weapon, but, then again, so is peace, brotherhood, and understanding.....what better way to at least to TRY to promote the spirit of brotherhood in such a diverse city like New York than a common, everyday BUS.......a true vehicle for the masses......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

In view of the recent, dramatic increase in attacks against Jews in the New York area, if EVER we needed the MTA to start running buses designated as "Mobile Brotherhood Units" ("MBU's), it's most certainly now.

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: