BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "Misfit" Postwar Twins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though many think of only the postwar "SUPER TWIN" when it comes to discussing TWIN COACH articulateds, it was not the first articulated bus that the company built.

In 1938, TWIN built the "original" Super Twin for the Baltimore Transit Company; this monster, unlike most articulateds, did not bend horizontally, making it quite difficult for the bus to turn corners (the drivers who piloted this beast indeed MORE than earned their paycheck!) Shocked

The bus (#1019) used a HERCULES DRXB diesel engine; it sat 58 passengers and weighed 28,000 pounds.

In Baltimore, the bus was called "The Queen Mary"; after some time in service, it was found that the bus suffered from mechanical issues, including problems with the diesel engine.

The problem stemmed from the proper crankshaft and bearing alignment not being able to be maintained; this problem was eventually corrected, but the unit also developed other mechanical issues.

Under slippery conditions, the "Queen Mary" had great difficulty climbing hills (I well remember NJT's now-retired VOLVO artics having this same problem); this was a bothersome issue, as the bus would have to start from a dead stop on a hill.

The BTC concluded that this issue came from the bus being a "pusher", with not enough weight over the front and center axles; TWIN eventually did develop a center-mounted engine which helped provide better traction, but the BTC #1019 was never retrofitted.

The early articulated was scrapped in Baltimore by the late 1940's......

"NYO"

(source: "THE BEST WAY TO GO: THE HISTORY OF THE BALTIMORE TRANSIT COMPANY", by Fr. Kevin A. Mueller)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Was just recalling mentioning that the windshields on the Flex New looks indeed seemed inspired by those used on the postwar TWIN COACHES.

This made me think of a fire truck (not a recent model, by any means!) that had a windshield that, again, recalled postwar TWIN models and FLXIBLE's New Looks.

I have a die-cast pumper lettered for the FDNY (MAJORETTE) that features the aforementioned windshield; I had thought that there would have been a make on the chassis, for identification purposes, but there are none.

For the life of me, I cannot recall who built this type of fire truck, but, again, the windshield clearly evokes the Flex New Looks; I'm sure someone here knows the truck I am talking about.....

"NYO"
kdr3bt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: The "Misfit" Postwar Twins Reply with quote

NYO:
The fire truck might be a Ward LaFrance.
http://home.covad.net/~geoley/index.html

This is a comprehensive site with links and photos of the fire trucks. I think a Ward LaFrance truck was used in the show "Emergency!". It replaced a Crown Fire Coach. Crown went out of business, so the "Ward" filled a void.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdr3bt:

Thanks for this link: as I also am interested in vintage fire-fightin' "rigs", I know I'll really enjoy going through this site later! Wink

"EMERGENCY!" was a great show; NEVER missed an episode, myself!

Getting back to buses, the very last Flex New Looks I remember were the ex-NJDOT/TNJ coaches, running for NJT; if my memory serves me correctly, these buses were gone sometime around 1996.

Many times I rode a Flex New look and would look at the windshields, and think about how they reminded me of those being used on the postwar TWINS.

What was the old expression...."imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...." Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellows:

Check this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_B59

Scroll down the page; on the right-hand side there is a photo showing a "B-59" VOLVO operating in Adelaide; one look at the windshield is enough to tell you just where the inspiration came from..... Wink

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: