BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Circa-1948 MACK accident/MABSTOA accident damage, etc.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Circa-1948 MACK accident/MABSTOA accident damage, etc. Reply with quote

All:

I posted these two links in my "farebox" thread late last evening, but thought that they could also stand up on their own here.

These photos depict the aftermath of a serious wreck involving MACK #1606, sometime around 1948.

The interior photo of the bus shows a Johnson "D" fare box leaning over at an angle, but still mounted to the floor; the exterior shot shows the extensive front end damage suffered by #1606.

Certainly hope there were no fatalities.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3601

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3600

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further on MACK #1606:

According to James Clifford Greller's "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT SYSTEM BUS & TROLLEY COACH FLEET", the ill-fated #1606 was built in 1947, and was a C45-GT (1601-1628 series)

In the aformentioned book, there is a photo on page 14, showing #1606 alongside #'s 1607 and 1608, posing for a publicity photo in front of City Hall, prior to entering service.

#1606 was signed: "56 JAMAICA AVE."

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These old photos set me to thinking.......

What did the BoT/NYCTA do when a bus was involved in an accident that severely damaged the fare box?

What is simply written off and junked?

Or, was it sent back to the builder for rebuilding? (if not too badly damaged); or, possibly, rebuilt "in house"?

Too, with vintage fare boxes almost impossible to come by these days (and are astronomical in price when one DOES come along for sale!) I am guessing that when old fare boxes were deemed outmoded and replaced by newer models, that they were simply scrapped.

IMHO, vintage bus fare registers are the most highly prized bus collectible today, and, also, one that will never come down in price so as to be affordable to the "average" collector.......

"NYO"

*The photo showing the mangled interior of MACK #1606, with Johnson "D" knocked askew, makes me wonder if any other photos of this accident were ever taken (judging from the amount of damage to a nearly-indestructable MACK, it would seem that the bus had a serious encounter with either a large truck, or, perhaps, an El pillar)

The accident reports, I'm sure, were trashed many decades ago........

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across another vintage "wreck" photo; note the severe front damage to the 2000 series GM (according to the Greller book, the 2000's were TDH-4507's, built in 1948)

The photo caption says that the photo was taken in 1955 at a scrapyard; given the severe damage to the bus, plus the fact that the vehicle was not even ten years old, is leading me to believe that the unfortunate GM was (like MACK #1606) involved in some sort of serious head-on (again, hope there were no casualties)

Note the bus still carries its damaged roller curtain, displaying:

Q2 HILLSIDE AVE.

HOLLIS 8TH AVE. SUBWAY

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3990

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These rare photos of vintage wrecks has led me to think of BoT/NYCTA buses that were involved in damage-inflicting accidents, in past decades; surely, photos were taken at the time to document the damage inflicted to the buses, as well as any other vehicle(s) involved.

Again, as in so many other areas of NYC bus operations of the past, there must have been a number of accident photos (and reports) that were long stuffed in forgotten file cabinets, and, later, simply tossed in the trash.

It would be interesting to see vintage photos of this sort; after all, they were a part of the City's bus operations, and deserve at least some discussion (IMHO)

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth, here.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MABSTOA Coliseum garage, 1973.

It is pretty obvious that Old Look #2608 had suffered some sort of a "non-minor" head-on with another vehicle in this photo (note the "spiderweb" black lines covering the front.....tape, or paint, perhaps?)......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?787

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coliseum garage, again, 1970.

Note the damage to 2648's side; also, at extreme right, the damage to the rear of another Old Look..........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?794

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of accidents, here are two views of city owned new looks that were involved in accidents.

MaBSTOA, #3455 (GM TDH-5303) and Riverdale Transit, #382 (GM SDM-5302) came together at Riverdale Ave. and 259th Street, Bronx.

The Riverdale bus is an ex-Huntington Coach Corp.

In the second view, we see an NYCTA Brooklyn bound T6H-5309 or T6H-5310 on the Verrazano Bridge in an accident that involved 5 city buses and countless cars and trucks when a tractor-trailer jack-knifed on the bridge in a heavy fog during morning rush hour on May 6, 1977.

IMG_7482 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  240.99 KB
 Viewed:  18054 Time(s)

IMG_7482 (2).JPG

IMG_7481 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.36 KB
 Viewed:  18054 Time(s)

IMG_7481 (2).JPG

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamaica Buses was not immune to accidents, here we see #205, GM TD-4506 (an ex-Green Bus Lines) at 139th Street and Foch Blvd., Jamaica.
April 21, 1962.

A Board of Transportation TDH-4510, #4245, ran into a street lamp.

An NYCTA, #4847, a GM TDH-5101, ran into a US mail box.

IMG_7483 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  239.36 KB
 Viewed:  18053 Time(s)

IMG_7483 (2).JPG

IMG_7486 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  216.72 KB

IMG_7486 (2).JPG

IMG_7487 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  202.08 KB

IMG_7487 (2).JPG

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Fifth Avenue Coach had it's difficulties. Queens bound #2518, GM TDH-5104 on route 15, knocked down one of those vintage and beautiful traffic lights on East 41st Street and 5th Avenue. March 3, 1961.

IMG_7488 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  209.5 KB
 Viewed:  18052 Time(s)

IMG_7488 (2).JPG

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

I must admit, I am NOT in the least surprised that you had these vintage accident photos in your files; these are rare and outstanding views, and I do thank you for contributing here! Very Happy

When you see photos of those virtually-indestructible Old Looks and Fishbowls that ended up so mangled and twisted, you have sobering thoughts of just how SEVERE the impacts had to have been.

Years ago, in a book that had photos of vintage automotive accidents, I still recall seeing a black and white photo of the mangled front end of a suburban Fishbowl (I cannot recall what company owned the bus) after a nasty altercation on the NJ Turnpike (if I am correct), circa-1963)

The bus was headed into the PABT.

You could see that this bus really took one serious hammering.

Though such pictures are indeed quite sobering, they still have a place in any discussion regarding vintage bus operations.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though not an "accident" photo, there looks to be an interesting story, here.....

In this 1972 photo, we see QUEENS TRANSIT Old Look #882, sporting a "patchwork" front end.

I am only hazarding a guess here, but I would think that the bus had received some sort of heavy front-end damage, and was still in the process of being repainted when this photo was taken.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?753

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org0
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that is an ex-Queens Transit now working for Avenue B and East Broadway Transit.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
Actually that is an ex-Queens Transit now working for Avenue B and East Broadway Transit.

Thanks for the heads-up on this bus! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on the subject of New York City bus accidents of years past, I have seen several interesting accident photos involving Brooklyn streetcars, in several books I have on the streetcars of Brooklyn.

One particularly nasty accident (1940's?) depicts the collision of a Peter Witt and a PCC, at the Park Row terminal.

Though, from the photo, the PCC looks relatively unscathed by the incident, while the Peter Witt behind is seen lying on its side, under a tangle of downed overhead trolley wires and line poles.

This HAD to have involved a major clean-up operation.

There also old photos showing head-on altercations between the streetcars and trucks; one photo from 1949, shows the aftereffects of a collision between tank truck and a Peter Witt streetcar.

Despite the solid construction of the streetcar, the entire front end was sheared open, with a torn fragment of the roller curtain (reading 'UTICA") dangling down.

This photo was taken the intersection of Utica Avenue and Montgomery street.

Another photo (early 50's) shows a PCC on the "75 SMITH ST." line, sideswiped and derailed by a truck.

From the photo, it looks as though there were (hopefully) no serious injuries involved.....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: