BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Pacific Electric Old Looks'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Western United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: "Pacific Electric Old Looks' Reply with quote

Pictured below is Pacific Electric (of Los Angeles) #2517 heading westbound to Santa Monica on Santa Monica Boulevard at Sepulveda Boulevard taken sometime in the early forties.

# 2517 is a very early version of the familiar 'Old Look' by GM but still carries the pre 1943 Yellow Coach logo and wings under the windshield.

While it is not visible in this frame, the side destination sign is at the front door just below the first passenger window (see lower photo of # 2512).

Other more noticeable features include a lack of familiar transom or standee windows, no rear door, a full height rear seat window and the earliest use of an anti reflective angled windshield.

The bus is a model TD4505 delivered to P.E. in December of 1941 (probably one of the last deliveries before the war halted most bus production).

Of further note in the picture is the traffic light with a combination of red and green electric signals and mechanical stop and go arms.

Photo by Jim Stubchaer and borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Rockaway, NY

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cyberider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how to get my attention, Mr. Linsky! The PE is dear to my heart. Laughing

That's an excellent photo which I've never seen before. Are there more somewhere? Some of the PE's early Yellow Old Looks were an interesting combination of the pre-Old Look and Old Look body parts. It would be interesting to learn more about them if the information could be located.

Interesting also that the triangular bus stop signs have endured so long in LA, a lot longer than those traffic signals!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: 'Pacific Electric Old Looks' Reply with quote

Dave,

Here's another even better sample.

I was just as surprised to find them as you were to see them.

Actually, they made this model on special order in the 4503 and 4505 series (but very few) and were referred to as 'drop-sash' window jobs because luggage racks took the place of the standard standee window design.

More information can be found at the top of page 8 in the July/August 92 edition of Motor Coach Age.

I keep searching the channels for these interesting pieces of history.

Enjoy!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"

Cyberider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a wonderful photo, Mr. Linsky. I've seen photos of these buses in my PE books but not as good. It would be interesting to see what they looked like from the back.

Thanks for your continued searching for interesting old buses. You just keep coming up with more good material! Mr. Green

Dave
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberider wrote:
That's a wonderful photo, Mr. Linsky. I've seen photos of these buses in my PE books but not as good. It would be interesting to see what they looked like from the back.

Thanks for your continued searching for interesting old buses. You just keep coming up with more good material! Mr. Green

Dave

Dave,

Thanks - I'll keep trying!

One question about the 2512 picture; I'm wondering what the device is between the front door and the first window?

It can't be a rear view mirror (at least for the driver) but could it be some kind of a directional signal? (similar to a mechanical arm like cars had years ago).

I notice that the bus has no apparent signals under the windshield.

Maybe the boys at OldLookBus might have the answer.

Mr. 'L'
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

This is what we've been looking for; a Pacific Electric on the Santa Monica Boulevard median in the vicinity of Westwood.

Unfortunately, this picture was taken after the passenger service ended but freight was still being shipped from downtown.

The rail road crossing warning sign answers my question, and you were correct in saying that that was about all they had.

Enjoy.

Mr. Linsky
"The green Hornet"

Cyberider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,

Another beautiful photo, color, no less. Not often that pre-1950 photos are in color. I have no idea what that object on the bus is if not a mirror but it doesn't look like it would do the driver much good back there. I remember the old VW microbuses from the 1950's had a semaphore-type turn signal but that one doesn't look like it would serve that purpose either.

Still would like to see that bus from the back, if any photos exist. It looks like the rear windows might be different too than on a regular Old Look.

Dave
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberider wrote:
Mr. Linsky,

Another beautiful photo, color, no less. Not often that pre-1950 photos are in color. I have no idea what that object on the bus is if not a mirror but it doesn't look like it would do the driver much good back there. I remember the old VW microbuses from the 1950's had a semaphore-type turn signal but that one doesn't look like it would serve that purpose either.

Still would like to see that bus from the back, if any photos exist. It looks like the rear windows might be different too than on a regular Old Look.

Dave

Dave,

The semaphore type signal was what I meant but I agree that it doesn't really fit that bill either.

It sure does look like a rear view mirror and I'm trying to figure in my mind how a driver could use it at that angle with my experiences behind the wheel of those buses.

As far as I know all old looks had the same rear window configuration except for the wider distance between the two glasses on the 102" models.

The only exception were the first production air conditioned models which used the 'suburban' single rectangular rear window (as seen on an NJ Public Service TDM-5106 pictured at the top of page 21 in the July/August 1992 Motor Coach Age).

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Western United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: