BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

December, 1980
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

November, 1980.

The Lennon era was sadly fast coming to an sudden and tragic end, while the GRUMMAN era (as short-lived as it was) was just dawning.........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2798

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August, 1980 (Broadway & 33rd).......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?705

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few GREEN BUS photos from 1980........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?426

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?433

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?438

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note:

This past Saturday, December 8th, marked the 38th anniversary of the shooting of John Lennon.

To my knowledge, there was no media coverage regarding this tragic event.

How quickly people forget.

RIP, John, and THANK YOU for the many years of great talent and great music.....

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Just a quick note:

This past Saturday, December 8th, marked the 38th anniversary of the shooting of John Lennon.

RIP, John, and THANK YOU for the many years of great talent and great music.....

"NYO"

I'm surprised, really. The 77th anniversary of Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7 got much more coverage. (I'd've thought it'd be the other way around. Especially since the wall-to-wall coverage of Lennon's death and subsequent memorial was the template for other major music figures' deaths, i.e. Michael Jackson.) And our subsequent entry into WWII would have massive implications for bus service all through the city.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Just a quick note:

"NYO"

I'm surprised, really. The 77th anniversary of Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7 got much more coverage. (I'd've thought it'd be the other way around. Especially since the wall-to-wall coverage of Lennon's death and subsequent memorial was the template for other major music figures' deaths, i.e. Michael Jackson.) And our subsequent entry into WWII would have massive implications for bus service all through the city.

W.B.:

Of course, the horrific and devastating attack on Pearl Harbor indeed should NEVER be forgotten; I think that is a given.

When John Lennon was murdered 38 years ago, I, too, recall well the tremendous news coverage via both TV and radio (Mom and I heard the tragic news over WMCA, which we listened to a lot at that time)

Though a cowardly and despicable act, for certain, I think the only POSITIVE thing about the tragedy was that it made many who had not been aware of John's many great talents, come to appreciate him and to acknowledge his tremendous accomplishments.

When John left us, far too soon, 38 years ago, a great void was created that will never be filled......

"NYO"

*Too, you cannot help but wonder if any transit buffs had been out earlier on that December day, taking pictures of the buses (or the subways).........
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......rest assured, on December 9th, 1980, the #1 topic of the day for MTA drivers (and other transit employees) was the senseless tragedy of the previous evening.

I'm sure that many drivers passing within sight of The Dakota on the 9th had to have felt at least some sense of loss...........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still clearly recall my homebound commute from Lower Manhattan that December 8th, 1980.

I was riding uptown aboard an IRT 7th Avenue train, aboard an ancient R-12/14; at TSQ, I made my way through the horrendous "mouse-in-the-maze" at the PABT, which was then under reconstruction.

I boarded an ex-INTER CITY Fishbowl on the former ORANGE & BLACK's rush hour only "RIVER ROAD EXPRESS", for the trip back to New Jersey.

The next morning, I boarded an ex-ORANGE & BLACK Fishbowl on an inbound express, and, at 42nd St., boarded a crowded R-10 "CC" train for downtown.

It really was a "Twilight Zone-esque atmosphere aboard the train; no idle chitchat among the straphangers, no one engrossed in the sports pages or the other news of the day.

Everyone was focused on on only ONE story; no need to wonder what story they were so engrossed in......the headlines screamed out the news louder than any spoken words.....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:43 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though the Old Looks and MACKS were long gone by 1980, think of the true "Museum Fleet" that was then in operation on the streets of New York.

GM and Flex New Looks......GRUMMANS.......back then, I would have never thought of such buses ever being considered "museum buses"!

Time flies....TOO fast.....

"NYO"
Waynejay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: December, 1980 Reply with quote

All:

I cannot believe that John Lennon will be gone 40 years in 2020; indeed, a lifetime.

What I am curious about, is what bus route(s) then operated in the vicinity of the Dakota, where he then resided.

Also, the buses on these routes at that time (GM, Flex, or GRUMMAN)

What are the designations of these lines today; what bus types now operate on them?

Thanks in advance.....

"NYO"

There was the M10 along Central Park West that operated from 146th Street depot. Like many depots... it was a mixed bag. Most of it's buses would've been 8700 series '66 GMC TDH-5303 (with A/C). Over on Amsterdam/Columbus Avs were the M7 (146th depot) and M11 from HUD.
Waynejay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Well, the 1974, 1975 and 1977 53102-6-1's of Flxibles would still have been king of the 'hood back then (plus, presumably, the five 53102-8-1's from the 1977 bunch); as well as the old standby TDH-5303's and probably some T6H-5309A's. Routes at that time were M10 - Eighth Avenue-Central Park West (still plowing along in the Dakota area), plus M30 - 72nd Street Crosstown (truncated beginning in 1989 and eliminated altogether after 2010, after a more direct M72 was inaugurated) and, in the immediate area afterwards, M7 - Broadway, Columbus and Lenox Avenues, M11 - Ninth and Amsterdam Avenues, M103 - 59th Street Crosstown (eliminated in 1989 and merged with M28 into M57), M5 - Fifth Avenue-Riverside Drive, M104 - Broadway . . .
Only a small few of the routes and/or their successors still run RTS' today. As for the newer buses . . .

The 5 '77 Flxible 53102-8-1 (9160-9164) at MaBSTOA were originally assigned to COL in the Bronx which had 9160-9184. This group remained in the Bronx for years as they moved over to West Farms depot when COL rec'd it's Grumman 870s.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: December, 1980 Reply with quote

Waynejay wrote:
All:

I cannot believe that John Lennon will be gone 40 years in 2020; indeed, a lifetime.

What I am curious about, is what bus route(s) then operated in the vicinity of the Dakota, where he then resided.

Also, the buses on these routes at that time (GM, Flex, or GRUMMAN)

What are the designations of these lines today; what bus types now operate on them?

Thanks in advance.....

"NYO"

There was the M10 along Central Park West that operated from 146th Street depot. Like many depots... it was a mixed bag. Most of it's buses would've been 8700 series '66 GMC TDH-5303 (with A/C). Over on Amsterdam/Columbus Avs were the M7 (146th depot) and M11 from HUD.

Waynejay:

Appreciate the additional info! Wink

Imagine if that "mixed bag" fleet was still in service today?? Rolling Eyes

A TRUE "museum" fleet, for sure!! Very Happy Very Happy

It is still hard to contemplate that it is now going on 39 years since John Lennon was gunned down at the Dakota; as we did with the tremendous variety of buses and subway cars then in operation, we took John for granted......no one among us could have foreseen the terrible tragedy that was about to take place on that fateful December day......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......hard to believe that tomorrow, December 9th, will mark the 29th anniversary of the murder of John Lennon at the Dakota.

Anyone who is old enough to remember that day surely recall just what they were doing, and where they were, when they first heard the tragic news (Mom and I heard news of the shooting on WMCA)

Cannot believe I was only 23 then.

RIP, John Lennon......

"NYO"
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......hard to believe that tomorrow, December 9th, will mark the 29th anniversary of the murder of John Lennon at the Dakota.

Anyone who is old enough to remember that day surely recall just what they were doing, and where they were, when they first heard the tragic news (Mom and I heard news of the shooting on WMCA)

Cannot believe I was only 23 then.

RIP, John Lennon......

"NYO"

Actually,today is the tragic anniversary, December 8th.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....still cannot believe that it's been 39 years already, since Lennon's murder.

And, it's been 78 years (as of yesterday) since the horrific attack on Pearl Harbor.

May the the heroism and self-sacrifice that took place on that horrible and tragic day in our history never be forgotten.

These were TRUE American heroes, may the all RIP (fewer and fewer survivors of that dark day in our history with each passing day)

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: