BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kramden's Time Travel!"/Batman goes the MABSTOA way....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare this photo with the previous photo of #5367 from the film "Barefoot in the Park" posted earlier in this thread by NY Omnibus.

Notice the destination signs and ad in the front of the bus. Change these and our hero just rode another bus home, Hollywood at its best!

4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.18 KB
 Viewed:  11599 Time(s)

4.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
Route 100, Broadway-Kingsbridge was assigned to the Amsterdam Depot (in 1970).

The northern terminal was Riverdale Ave. and 242nd St., the Bronx.
The southern terminal was Third Avenue and 125th St., Manhattan.
These terminals are approximate.

The destination sign looks "fake"

Thanks for this info....just what I was looking for! Very Happy

Funny....even though I am in NO WAY any sort of authority on New York buses and bus routes (then or now) I had the feeling that the destination sign on this bus was not quite "kosher".......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

Regarding the signs of the Fishbowl in "Barefoot In The Park"......

Yep, ain't Hollywood just chock-full of surprises, especially regarding "authentic" New York transit scenes! Shocked

One of the BEST examples of this was seen in the subway sequence in "For Pete's Sake", 1974, where "Henry" (Streisand) boards a train of prewar IND cars at the Court St. station (which, in just seconds, morphs into "CLARK ST.", with a NYPD K-9 in hot pursuit.

Look CLOSELY as the last car pulls out of the station; there is ANOTHER motorman in the cab of the last car, ready to run the train back into the station for the next sequence, where the train is SUPPOSED to be pulling into Clark St.!!!!!!

Look closely at the roll signs on the cars:

"EIGHTH AVE."

"CONEY ISLAND"

" LL 14TH ST. LOCAL"

WHEN did the "LL" ever go to Coney Island???

And........since WHEN could you board a (BMT) "14th St. Local" train at Court St.????? Shocked Shocked Shocked

I guess "Hollywood" feels that such all-too-commonplace scenes as looking "authentic Noo Yawk" enough, and that there will be few, if any, die-hard transit enthusiasts in the audience.

When this film debuted in 1974, it was still a couple of years before the Court St. IND Station (used by the "HH" shuttle until 1946) became the New York City Transit Museum.

Hooray for Hollywood........(!!) Razz

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed May 22, 2019 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellows:

There are a number of neat photos on this page, showing the Old Look and Fishbowl that "co-starred" with Robert De Niro in "A BRONX TALE" (some good interior shots as well; LOVE the legendary De Niro wearing a 1960's MABSTOA uniform!)

http://www.busesonscreen.net/screen1/index.php?p=screenfm.fmb.bronxtale

(courtesy: busesonscreen.net)

The early 60's scenes in this film, in particular, really take me back; the neighborhoods depicted are so very reminiscent of the area of Hudson County I grew up in; I'd like to have a dollar for every time Mom and I rode on an NHBL Old Look (or MACK or WHITE), well over a half-century ago........ Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I LOVE A PARADE".....LITERALLY! Very Happy

Here's a still from an early 60's "TWILIGHT ZONE" episode (42nd St., looking west, Grand Central on the right)

NO SHORTAGE of Old Looks and MACKS in this nostalgic scene....... Wink

http://pics.imcdb.org/5217/5twil4a.jpg

(courtesy: imcdb.org)
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
Compare this photo with the previous photo of #5367 from the film "Barefoot in the Park" posted earlier in this thread by NY Omnibus.

Notice the destination signs and ad in the front of the bus. Change these and our hero just rode another bus home, Hollywood at its best!

5367, I.I.N.M., was assigned out of 54th Street depot at the time of filming of Barefoot in the Park; only the then-20 (later M28, now M57) would have run from that, while the 5 was out of 132nd Street. As for 8436 with that "fake" 100 sign, it too was assigned out of Amsterdam.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
Route 100, Broadway-Kingsbridge was assigned to the Amsterdam Depot (in 1970).

The northern terminal was Riverdale Ave. and 242nd St., the Bronx.
The southern terminal was Third Avenue and 125th St., Manhattan.
These terminals are approximate.

The destination sign looks "fake"

Some Transign roll signs made in 1970-71 used Highway Gothic-derived fonts, mostly on some Bronx routes (after the 1969-70 discontinuance of several routes and consolidating them with others) but also on the (M)5 on northbound runs after it was extended north in January 1971 to 178th Street and Broadway outside the George Washington Bridge Bus Station. I've seen some Transign manuals which showed those type fonts on some samples.

Claudine was released in 1974 (and supposedly made the year before). By then, (M)100 had been extended to the "City Line," at 263rd Street and Riverdale Avenue. 125th and Third remained the southern terminus.
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the photos from the film "A Bronx Tale"...

When I saw the movies I was pleased to see the inclusion of a New York City bus driver and their buses. However, after carefully looking at the photos posted here I have several critical comments:

a) The GM TDH-4509 buses operated by Surface Transit were never painted in this color scheme.
b) No GM TDH-4509 operated by Surface was in the 7000 number series. They were transferred from New York City Omnibus in 1958 and were in the 4000 number series.
c) Surface never had 4509s prior to the transfer. In fact, the bus pictured appears to be a TDH-4512 a model that only Green Bus Lines operated!
d) Number 1302 was never painted in this scheme and it was a TDH-4507.
e) By the time this movie takes place Surface was known as "Transit" and not "Transportation"
f) The interior view shows the bus is missing the horizontal driver's stanchion. It is also missing the side destination sign box, yet on the outside it shows a curtain reading on the first standee window.

Regarding the new look bus...

a) This is a third generation GM New Look, the ones that MaBSTOA & NYCTA had came with air conditioning.
b) The driver's horizontal stanchion is incorrect for this model. It looks like it came from a 9000 series Flxible.
c) The bus is a 96" bus. Look at the chrome belt between the front lights.
d) #3134 is an ex-Fifth Avenue Coach, TDH-5301!

My biggest question is why didn't the production company borrow the correct buses from the Museum fleet?

Where did these buses come from?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

MANY THANKS for this most interesting (and in-depth) report on the buses used in "A BRONX TALE"; I certainly was not aware of these errors in the film (again, YOU'RE the expert on this subject!)

Again, IF a major film company is going to spend TONS of $$$$ and effort to make a "period" film historically accurate, WHY not call in experienced and knowledgeable bus enthusiasts/historians/curators like yourself to get ACCURATE information regarding the types of buses used?

At "face value" these buses used indeed were true time machines, bringing back a lot of great bus memories, for older fellows such as ourselves; however, after your thorough report, it is obvious that there was much amiss behind the scenes, historic-wise.

You brought up a VERY valid point about Museum buses; many "not in the know" about what comprises the "Museum Fleet" more than likely simply assumed that the buses in the film were from the Museum collection.

Ahhh, the magic of Tinseltown....... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: