BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[CA] L.A. bus routes may be changed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Western United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyberider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: [CA] L.A. bus routes may be changed Reply with quote

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_6541829

L.A. bus routes may be changed
Metro seeks to create a `more efficient' system.
By Sue Doyle, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 08/03/2007 10:25:01 PM PDT

Metro officials are considering changes to as many as 26 bus routes across Los Angeles as part of the transit agency's periodic restructuring efforts.

The changes, which would take effect in December, could include new or revised routes or even cancellation of some routes. Plans also call for operations to be scaled back on some traditional lines, with those service hours used to expand Rapid bus service.

Metro officials will hold public hearings next week - one each in Norwalk and Downey - on the proposed changes, which are not expected to result in monetary savings.

"It's an opportunity to tweak the system and make it more efficient, and at the same time introduce some new service," said Metro spokesman Rick Jager.

Buses under consideration operate mainly downtown and in East Los Angeles and Pasadena and on the Westside. Routes chosen for changes usually do not have enough passengers to cover the buses' operating costs.

While Metro also plans to introduce three new bus lines, some critics said the plans will make it more difficult for regular mass-transit users to get around.

"People do not travel only in their sectors. They travel countywide," said Manuel Criollo, organizer for the Bus Riders Union. "So one cut here has massive repercussions."

The organization is appealing the expiration last October of the federal consent decree that forced Metro to expand bus service while prohibiting fare increases. The Bus Riders Union triggered the federal mandate in the mid-1990s after it sued Metro.

Because buses running through the San Fernando Valley and South Bay will not see any major changes, public hearings are not scheduled for those areas, Jager said.

Seeking to improve service, the transit agency in June debuted two new Metro Rapid buses, now part of a fleet of 18 that is expected to grow to 28 next year. In addition, two new Metro Rapid Express lines hit the road this summer during rush hour.

One of the buses will make few stops between Koreatown and Santa Monica and the other will run from the South Bay to downtown.

The service is a test project to see if fewer stops can reduce travel times. If successful, Metro will bring more to the roads.

Public hearings are set for:

7 p.m. Tuesday, Norwalk Arts and Sports Center, 13200 Clarkdale Ave.

5 p.m. Wednesday, La Cienega Tennis Center, 325 S. La Cienega Blvd., Beverly Hills.

5 p.m. Thursday, The Gas Co., 9240 Firestone Blvd., Downey.

6 p.m. Aug. 13 at the San Gabriel Valley Sector Office, 3369 Santa Anita Ave., El Monte.

Sue Doyle can be reached at sue.doyle@dailynews.com or (818)713-3746
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: 'LACMTA' Reply with quote

Dave,

It will be interesting to see what they have as any revised plan for the west side.

Not being a rider, I really have little idea as to volumes of passengers on any given route.

However, from what I see of both Wilshire and Santa Monica Boulevards, it appears as though they do well.

While we're on the subject; when Pacific Electric ran from downtown along Santa Monica Boulevard through Beverly Hills to the beach, did they have any kind of rail road gate control along the stretch in Beverly Hills proper?

I ask because I wonder how they would have prevented cross traffic from colliding with oncoming trolleys.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Rockaway, NY
Cyberider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,

Because I've been gone from L.A. for so long, I'm kind of out of touch. The frequent service on Wilshire was a revelation coming from Phoenix where 30 to 60 minute service was the rule in the 70's. The route numbering system at the time was about the same as it was in the 1930's with new routes added for streetcar and interurban lines bustituted. The usual assignment to the then line 83 Wilshire Blvd. were New Look Flxibles. The other line I rode a lot was the 4 Olympic line which was split into 4A and 4B, the 4B came up San Vicente off of Olympic and then down Burton Way and Santa Monica Blvd beyond. It was served by New Look GM's at the time.

As for PE operation in Beverly Hills, that was before my time and I haven't refreshed my memory lately by rereading some of the books I have on the topic. However, I don't recall seeing any crossing gates in any photos and I think they just stopped at any traffic signals, or before that traffic cops, they encountered like the autos. The tracks were still on Santa Monica Blvd. when I lived there and there might have been some "wig-wags" at crossings but I don't remember gates. Maybe there were and I've just forgotten!

Getting back to the route changes, I see the Bus Riders Union is already making a stink. No matter what the MTA proposes, they don't like it!

Dave

P.S. Great conversations you've been participating in at GMOldLookBus! I've really enjoyed reading and learning things I've been curious about but never knew the answers for decades.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I think I'm causing a lot of trouble at GMOldLookBus and loving every minute of it!

But, believe it or not, as much as I have taught them over there, that's how much I've learned myself - and these guys are good!

Vince could be a staff writer for Motor Coach Age, and there's virtually nothing that Michael and Dennis don't know about Old Looks - I've met my match.

I'd still like to know how Dennis can put a full picture directly into the body of an email - I can't figure it out!

I just installed the entire history of the GM/National City Lines conspiracy which I think you'll find very interesting.

The only reason that I was interested in whether there were gates along Santa Monica in Beverly Hills is because the boulevard runs right next to where the trolley tracks were and it must have been chaotic for cars traveling along Santa Monica and attempting to turn south over the tracks!

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Western United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: