BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Feedback, maybe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Feedback & Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDriver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: New Feedback, maybe Reply with quote

I thought I might post something to try and revive what seems to me a dead site. I know we are fans of a seemingly uninteresting topic or are bus fans old and do not have the energy to comment? Are the people who know buses gone? Are there more interesting sites? I don't recall any. We got the talk and the pictures here. I feel bad that the activity on this site is very slow. I am sad that we have lost a few members but should there be a few newbies?
I have other hobbies that take up my time and I can only visit this site briefly at irregular times. I actually got a few Rapido Fishbowl buses and am working to make them look better and more realistic. I also do my own vehicle maintenance which is keeping me busy as well as other issues.
Now is anyone on facebook or twitter? I am not for a personal reason.
I love this site and I'd love to see it grow. Is it possible that all is well and I am not able to see that?
TheDriver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and by the way I even went to the closest bus museum to me, PBM. I got a good tour but it was a wet day so I plan on going back soon.
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently commented on this very subject on other threads, and yes, I have to agree with your observation's.

To begin with, we have a subject that seems to have a very narrow following, in general. Added to that is the seemingly ageing population of those that do have an interest in it. I have belonged to various transportation clubs and historical societies, and every one of them--land, air, sea, on various different interests have one thing in common, they are like "old men's clubs", with just a sprinkling of younger or new member's.
Part of that is because the old-timer's do not actively recruit new members, and part because when youngsters do come, they feel not part of the old clique.
There are always some exceptions to this, but usually few and far between.

And many of these clubs are dying, as a result. When one or more of their active members, who conduct the various activities or hold office, pass on, few others step up to replace them.
Even larger organizations such as certain bus museums, that started out with generous contributions from pioneer bus families. Unless they had a strong progressive management to seek out new active members, they too would fade away.

Part of the problem is the younger generation is just not interested in the subject. They seem more into their electronic devices. Many 'millennials' don't even have a driver's license. I am amazed at that...I made sure I had mine on my sixteenth birthday.

Now there seem to be only a handful of us regularly or even semi-regularly posting on this site. I don't know how its owner can even sustain it.
But I am glad that this site exists, as its primary purpose is 'Bus Talk', and I will say, that the contributor's are 'gentlemen' (not aware of any ladies)...
There is a much more active NY oriented site, that is mostly interested in NY subways and buses, but there is some very discourteous behavior on that site that deters me from spending much time there. There is a Canadian site that is pretty decent, but centered mostly on Canada.

As for the facebook, or yahoo or other social media groups...I hear that some of them are pretty good, but I too, will not use facebook for privacy issues.

So I will continue to support this site, and at every opportunity, will try to make others I happen to meet aware of it, and encourage its use....

Smile
TheDriver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like to see is the enthusiasm for the topic that I may not be able to relate to from not having been a part of something like NEW YORK buses and when others know what it is and have their memories to share.
I may not know about New York but I am trying to learn from reading the posts on this site. The pictures give me something to recall as I say I do not know New York or any big city. The bus pictures give me something as I try to relate the stories I read. It seems that new York had a complicated system going with all of the letters and such . I went to wikipedia to understand the history of New York's bus system so I will know what the letters mean when I save the pictures to my computer. So while doing research I am trying to see how this city is laid out.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certain months when activity slows down. The summer season and the holidays are big time slow.
TheDriver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have learned a lot by going to the forums and hate to see it go away from a lack of interest.
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since joining BTN, I also have visited (and sometimes posted on) other NYC transit websites and discussion boards. Each website has its pluses and minuses, but some general observations can be made. The membership of these other sites appears to be significantly younger than the BTN community. Some of these sites (e.g. TTMG) are highly visual and photo-oriented, and their images typically are excellent. They also have very good roster info that appears to be updated regularly and carefully. Other sites have discussion boards; some of these are civil and informative, while some others seem to have a lot of rude, immature behavior. Even though my other primary hobbies are truck history and the NYC subway, and even though I don't visit BTN as frequently as I had in the past, I keep coming back because of the quality of historical data and images, and, even more importantly, because of the high quality of BTN's management and its members. I have learned a lot about buses and about the professionals who operate and maintain them. I feel BTN folks are solid, stable, mature people who have a genuine passion for NYC buses. They share their images, information and insights freely, and even when they may disagree on certain points, they behave consistently well. Our moderator works very hard to maintain this level of quality, and for this he should be given all the credit in the world. The online environment sometimes causes a feeling of anonymity that can be abused by certain individuals. I'm proud to be a part of a group of people who can express their enthusiasm in a friendly and inclusive atmosphere. Hats off to BTN!
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Since joining BTN, I also have visited (and sometimes posted on) other NYC transit websites and discussion boards. Each website has its pluses and minuses, but some general observations can be made. The membership of these other sites appears to be significantly younger than the BTN community. Some of these sites (e.g. TTMG) are highly visual and photo-oriented, and their images typically are excellent. They also have very good roster info that appears to be updated regularly and carefully. Other sites have discussion boards; some of these are civil and informative, while some others seem to have a lot of rude, immature behavior. Even though my other primary hobbies are truck history and the NYC subway, and even though I don't visit BTN as frequently as I had in the past, I keep coming back because of the quality of historical data and images, and, even more importantly, because of the high quality of BTN's management and its members. I have learned a lot about buses and about the professionals who operate and maintain them. I feel BTN folks are solid, stable, mature people who have a genuine passion for NYC buses. They share their images, information and insights freely, and even when they may disagree on certain points, they behave consistently well. Our moderator works very hard to maintain this level of quality, and for this he should be given all the credit in the world. The online environment sometimes causes a feeling of anonymity that can be abused by certain individuals. I'm proud to be a part of a group of people who can express their enthusiasm in a friendly and inclusive atmosphere. Hats off to BTN!

Very well said! Clap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Feedback & Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: