BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Club Transport, Surface Transit, TARS, etc.......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Regarding that Greyhound Supercoach...I don't know the details of the old routes, but I do know that Greyhound did operate routes thru Yonkers up towards the Berkshires, and other New England points, some as late as the '70's. And there were other carrier's that did likewise, such as Resort Bus Lines, and Super Service (Bonanza), and more...

Whether that particular bus was on one of those routes is possible, or it could have simply been a charter...

traildriver: Just scroll up the page (from the bottom of page 2); check out N4's detailed explanation on what that 743 was doing in Yonkers. Wink

I learned a LOT from his response; and THANK YOU for yours as well.....always learn a lot of interesting stuff from you guys....... Very Happy

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver wrote:
Regarding that Greyhound Supercoach...I don't know the details of the old routes, but I do know that Greyhound did operate routes thru Yonkers up towards the Berkshires, and other New England points, some as late as the '70's. And there were other carrier's that did likewise, such as Resort Bus Lines, and Super Service (Bonanza), and more...

Whether that particular bus was on one of those routes is possible, or it could have simply been a charter...

traildriver: Just scroll up the page (from the bottom of page 2); check out N4's detailed explanation on what that 743 was doing in Yonkers. Wink

I learned a LOT from his response; and THANK YOU for yours as well.....always learn a lot of interesting stuff from you guys....... Very Happy

"NYO"

Yes, I did see that...but the question is, what Greyhound route is it on, not which street is it on...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

PLEASE ask me a question I CAN answer.....(!!) Wink

Never fear.....I'm sure one of the experts here will be able to answer your question..... Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare the TWIN COACHES in these photos; obviously, the same company.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3393

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/tars/htm/tarsfp032.htm

(courtesy: newdavesrailpix)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TARS streetcar at the NYC station, operating on the #5 line; note the FORD transit on the right (any idea on what company?)

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/tars/htm/tarsfp054.htm

(courtesy: newdavesrailpix.com)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A postwar TWIN COACH swings around a TARS streetcar operating on the #7 line in Mt. Vernon; notice that some of the trolley rails have already been paved over.....

http://newdavesrailpix.com/tars/htm/tars161.htm

N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topic is Club Transportation, I realize, but we have drifted into Greyhound's service through Yonkers.
The link below is to a discussion of Jacobson Pharmacies in Yonkers. The 7th image is an ad from 1937 advertising transcontinental Greyhound tickets that could be purchased at the pharmacy on Riverdale Avenue.
---
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/soyosunset/old-ads-jacobson-pharmacies-231-ashburton-ave-16-r-t4437.html
---
Yonkers was probably not on a transcontinental route!
---
As for which Greyhound routes visited Yonkers, maybe somebody with a Russell Guide from the 1930's or 1940's could look it up.
---
Buses display destinations, not origens. I suspect (cannot prove) that the bus on Old Nepperhan Avenue had just visited White Plains, and had come down NY 100 to Tuckahoe Road, and then was using Old Nepperhan Avenue as a connection to Nepperhan Avenue to downtown Yonkers. I bet the final destination was either the 50th street terminal or the one at Penn Station.
---
Our late fifties and early sixties trips on the Pittsfield Local would use the Thruway through Yonkers, visit White Plains, then Ridgefield CT, Danbury, New Milford, Litchfield, Torrington, Winsted, then continue somehow to Pittsfield. Dad hailed from Winsted before getting work in NYC in 1922.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4:

I find your info quite interesting, to say the least; I had NO idea that GREYHOUND ever served the Yonkers area, until I saw that photo (and learned, through yourself, more of the "nitty gritty")

Again, thanks for taking the time to share this great info here....... Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

I have always been interested in "feeder" bus/streetcar lines that connected far-reaching areas with the outer end of rapid transit lines.

One thinks of the outermost terminals of say, the IRT, BMT, and IND, being reached by a "feeder" streetcar and/or bus line.

Rapid transit "feeder" lines are always interesting to discuss; think of other big cities that have "feeder" buses that connect to the far ends of rapid transit lines (Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia)

"Feeder" bus lines can (and are) an interesting study unto themselves; though they may lack the "glamour" of the trunk lines, they still are of great interest, especially in a historical context......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:35 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circa 1950, we see two TARS streetcars (operating on the #'s 1 and 2 lines) making their appointed rapid transit connections (242nd & Broadway).......

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/tars/htm/tars011.htm

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Date this one to 1946.........

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/tars/htm/tarst002.htm

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the excellent book, "BUILDING THE INDEPENDENT SUBWAY" (Kramer), this is a 1940 photo showing a WHITE bus operating on the Q-33, with an IND subway station street post sign alongside.

The bus stop sign reads:

BUS STOP Q-33

82nd ST. CROSSTOWN

LA GUARDIA FIELD

MUNICIPAL AIRPORT

On the same page, there is a photo (late 1930's) of a crowd of straphangers streaming from a bus (only the rear can be seen; the bus # is "N 543") to the entrance of the 169th St. IND station (both photos are on page#59)..........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
The topic is Club Transportation, I realize, but we have drifted into Greyhound's service through Yonkers.
The link below is to a discussion of Jacobson Pharmacies in Yonkers. The 7th image is an ad from 1937 advertising transcontinental Greyhound tickets that could be purchased at the pharmacy on Riverdale Avenue.
---
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/soyosunset/old-ads-jacobson-pharmacies-231-ashburton-ave-16-r-t4437.html
---
Yonkers was probably not on a transcontinental route!
---
As for which Greyhound routes visited Yonkers, maybe somebody with a Russell Guide from the 1930's or 1940's could look it up.
---
Buses display destinations, not origens. I suspect (cannot prove) that the bus on Old Nepperhan Avenue had just visited White Plains, and had come down NY 100 to Tuckahoe Road, and then was using Old Nepperhan Avenue as a connection to Nepperhan Avenue to downtown Yonkers. I bet the final destination was either the 50th street terminal or the one at Penn Station.
---
Our late fifties and early sixties trips on the Pittsfield Local would use the Thruway through Yonkers, visit White Plains, then Ridgefield CT, Danbury, New Milford, Litchfield, Torrington, Winsted, then continue somehow to Pittsfield. Dad hailed from Winsted before getting work in NYC in 1922.

Thanks for that info, and that link with the Greyhound ad!

My oldest Russell's, is August of 1944.

On the New York to Boston or Springfield trips that operated via Yonkers, they left the Capitol 50th Street Terminal for:
181st and Amsterdam, Yonkers, White Plains, Port Chester where they joined the trips via 1375 Jerome Avenue, 187th & Grand Concourse, and New Rochelle, thence up the Boston Post Road local up to New Haven and Beyond.

Fying Eagle Whiteway Lines (BZ predecessor) ran from the Trailways Terminal for:
181st and Amsterdam, Yonkers, White Plains, Armonk, Bedford, Poundridge,
Ridgefield, and Danbury thence local on up to Hartford, or Pawling, Greenhaven, and Poughkeepsie.

Walters Transit ran from the Midtown Terminal for:
West Bronx 170th Street, Yonkers, Hartsdale, Hawthorne, Briarcliff Manor, Millwood, Kitchawan, Whitehall Cor, Somers, Croton Falls, Brewster, Balls Pond, Putnam Lake, Haviland Hollow, Patterson, Pawling, Wingdale, Dover Plains, Wassaic, Armenia, and Sharon.

Years later, there were variations of these routes, thru Yonkers.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of "feeder" buses:

Recall the B&O RR train connection buses that had several depots in Manhattan, and one in downtown Brooklyn (the buses used CNJ ferryboats to reach the trains at Jersey City)

I have never heard of any B&O bus depots in the Bronx; I am now wondering if, early on, the B&O had a bus depot in the Bronx, or, more likely, never did.
For that matter, I have never seen photos of the buses in Brooklyn, tjhough I have seen many taken in Manhattan....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recall, also, the odd-looking VERSARE buses that were once operated by SURFACE TRANSIT; there is a photo (in "ACROSS NEW YORK BY TROLLEY", by Frederick Kramer) of one approaching Eastern (now Bruckner) Boulevard, where a TARS ("ROUTE "T") streetcar loads passengers at the end of the line.

Photos of these buses are virtually non-existant; the one in the photo was working the#6 route from Throgs Neck.

There is also a photo showing a single-deck three axle ST bus, that was built in 1929, and converted to single deck in 1933.

I am guessing this might have been an ex-FACCo. bus (it is seen laying over at the NYCRR's 138th St. station)

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: