BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bus-related "Kramden" trivia/Brooklyn days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feeling's about the bus preservation issue's...

Sure, having everything pure and original will certainly appeal to a segment of the hobby.

But on the other hand, having a historic bus that may appeal to a much wider segment of the population, get a lot more coverage, and perhaps draw a new audience into bus preservation may have some merit, as well.

In a fairly large collection, perhaps there is room to appeal to everyone, even if not all are 'pure'.

Look at cities that have purchased antique trolley's from around the world, even if they can't locate an historically accurate original from their city...

Better to have at least that, than nothing. As long as the placards describing the vehicle tell the accurate history, and make no secret that it 'represent's' what was, once....

JMHO
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I have mixed feeling's about the bus preservation issue's...

Sure, having everything pure and original will certainly appeal to a segment of the hobby.

But on the other hand, having a historic bus that may appeal to a much wider segment of the population, get a lot more coverage, and perhaps draw a new audience into bus preservation may have some merit, as well.

In a fairly large collection, perhaps there is room to appeal to everyone, even if not all are 'pure'.

Look at cities that have purchased antique trolley's from around the world, even if they can't locate an historically accurate original from their city...

Better to have at least that, than nothing. As long as the placards describing the vehicle tell the accurate history, and make no secret that it 'represent's' what was, once....

IMHO

traildriver:

You always made some very good points, points that do carry a lot of weight.

A good example is the incredible MARKET ST. RAILWAY in 'Frisco; they have what just might be the world's largest fleet of operable streetcars (especially PCC's).

To get the cars to operate on their trackage, the cars needed to be fit with an extra pole, which, of course, was NOT what most of these cars carried when they were in revenue service; the PCC restored as a Newark City Subway car (PSNJ) has an extra pole, which of course the Newark cars never had in service.

So, in a sense, such restorations cannot be called a "100% AUTHENTIC" restoration; however, the outstanding work on these vintage cars never ceases to delight and and intrigue.

There was a WHITE 798 I recall years ago that was seen at several Hoboken Festival shows, as well as at the Lackawanna MU (pre)retirement celebration back in 1984; at that festivity, the bus was painted as a PSNJ coach (I don't recall PS rostering these types); later on, at Hoboken, I saw this bus re-painted as a RED & TAN bus.

The RED & TAN did operate 798's for years, and I recall this paint job looking quite authentic (the PS scheme was also very well done)

Yes, I would guess it's true......in view of how much has been scrapped over the decades (literally thousands of vehicles) we are fortunate that at least SOME examples of these historic transit vehicles survive today......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO--
That's what I mean...even if it is not 100% authentic, it still has great appeal to the 'masses'.... Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NYO--
That's what I mean...even if it is not 100% authentic, it still has great appeal to the 'masses'.... Smile

traildriver:

And, when one stops to consider the thousands of PCC's scrapped over the years, the fact that HERE is a streetcar operation (Market St. Ry.) where not only the cars are RESTORED to represent different cities, BUT that also OPERATE and CARRY the general public!!!!!! Shocked Very Happy

Just imagine a similiar operation utilizing restored vintage buses......... Wink

As "The Great One" would exclaim jovially, "HOW SWEET IT IS!".......... Very Happy

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea...like the MTA does along 42nd Street around the holiday's...
It would be nice if they did that all year round.

I suppose it is easier to maintain a PCC car on that basis, than an old bus.

Any idea what is going on with those old PCC cars, in Red Hook, Brooklyn?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
That's a great idea...like the MTA does along 42nd Street around the holiday's...
It would be nice if they did that all year round.

I suppose it is easier to maintain a PCC car on that basis, than an old bus.

Any idea what is going on with those old PCC cars, in Red Hook, Brooklyn?

traildriver:

AFAIK, those PCC's (ex-MBTA) have since been removed from the area where they have sat rusting for years; I believe they have all since been scrapped, but am not sure at this moment.

From the pictures I have seen, the historic cars were little more than rusting hulks.

Sadly, that grandoise "Brooklyn Waterfront Trolley" project was not to be........ Sad

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

A sad end for the historic PCC's rusting away in Brooklyn....."Rust In Pieces", old friends......

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/2014/02/red-hook-trolleys-removed/

(couurtesy: forgotteny.com)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the previous photos, notice a "picture window" PCC; the MTA (Boston) ordered 50 of these unique cars in 1951.

They were rare birds even when new, and, to see even ONE lost to neglect is indeed sad.

Incidently, these cars, as well as the "all electric" PCC's were the only Boston cars to have standee windows; they (the "picture window" cars) were also the only domestic PCC's so built (PULLMAN)......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aborted "Brooklyn Waterfront Trolley" roject also, IMHO, serves as an important message to those interested in preserving transportation history.

This is NOT, by any means, a game, or "playing with trains", but a serious project that requires encountering many hurdles and obstacles, financial and otherwise.

Of course, there are local zoning laws to deal with, not to mention many other issues that need to be addressed.

In some places (such as in SF) such a historic streetcar operation can be a tremendous success; in other places, however, too many factors are simply too many to overcome.

Even the best intentions go for naught, especially whe tremendous sums of money are involved....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Brooklyn Waterfront project was particularly an ambitious one for a private entity to do...
It's one thing for a museum out in the 'country', to string up some trolley wire, and operate on private property, but an entirely different matter, to do the same on public streets. That is best left to the city or transit agency to attempt...

I found this interesting list of "Vintage Trolley" operations, published back in March of 1992...I didn't realize there were so many. Don't know how that list compares to the present.
It is interesting that these were a mix of public and private operation's...

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/Onlinepubs/trr/1992/1361/1361-045.pdf
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
That Brooklyn Waterfront project was particularly an ambitious one for a private entity to do...
It's one thing for a museum out in the 'country', to string up some trolley wire, and operate on private property, but an entirely different matter, to do the same on public streets. That is best left to the city or transit agency to attempt...

I found this interesting list of "Vintage Trolley" operations, published back in March of 1992...I didn't realize there were so many. Don't know how that list compares to the present.

traildriver:

I'm in total agreement with you; a "heritage trolley" operation, in urban areas, is best done by a transit authority (or the city itself) to attempt.

Another ambitious plan was to open a new trolley line at the former MOT facility in Bayonne, served by retired Newark City Subway PCC's; I know the selected cars sat idle for quite some time, as this project never came to see the light of day.

Where the cars are today, I am not sure; I only hope at least a few were saved.

I have many, many memories of those historic old cars....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver wrote:

traildriver:

I'm in total agreement with you; a "heritage trolley" operation, in urban areas, is best done by a transit authority (or the city itself) to attempt.

Another ambitious plan was to open a new trolley line at the former MOT facility in Bayonne, served by retired Newark City Subway PCC's; I know the selected cars sat idle for quite some time, as this project never came to see the light of day.

Where the cars are today, I am not sure; I only hope at least a few were saved.

I have many, many memories of those historic old cars....

"NYO"

That would have been great for me...I take a cruise occasionally from the MOT, aka "Cape Liberty", and I can get from my door to 34th Street Station on the HBLR, via MTA Bus, subway, and PATH.
But I have to rely on a taxi for the last couple of miles to the Passenger Terminal.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Yep, that would have been great for you, heading from "Gotham" to dockside in Bayonne! Wink

There had been much talk on this new trolley line for quite awhile, but then, it more or less simply faded into oblivion, sad to say.

The PCC's, of course, were made surplus after the new HBLR-style light rail cars (I call them "Baby Belugas" and/or "Shamus") replaced then in the Newark subway back in 2001.

I had even heard, long ago, that there was some talk for converting the old NYC High Line in Manhattan into some sort of a light rail/trolley line.

Obviously, that idea never went far!

Too, I have heard talk of plans (much more recently) of converting the abandoned underground Delancey St. trolley terminal into some sort of underground shopping area/"greenway"; personally, I'd love to see something that might be able to incorporate some transit history, so that folks today could actually SEE what remains (and there really isn't all that much left, aside from the nearly invisible rails still embedded in the floor) of the trolley era.

The last Brooklyn streetcars that used this underground terminal ran in 1948 (via the Willy B); interestingly, PCC's never served this facility, except for fan trips.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ralph Kramden's day, trolley buses with "rifle slot" rear windows and PCC's were still commonplace on the streets of Brooklyn.........

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/nyc/htm/bqt026.htm

(courtesy: newdavesrailpix)
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: