BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Driver attire through the years

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Driver attire through the years Reply with quote

All:

If you look at vintage photos of bus drivers in New York (and virtually any other city, for that matter) the majority of drivers are in full uniforms, including ties and uniform caps.

Looking at the photos that transition from the 50's to the 60's, and from the 70's to the 80's and beyond, you can see that "full uniforms" gradually fell out of favor; ties became a "sometimes thing", and even the once ever-present uniform caps seemed to disappear into history.

I know that, the past few decades, "dressing down" has now become the rule; also, long gone are the days of male commuters wearing suits and ties, and ladies wearing dresses and heels.

Today, a commuter who still "dresses up" to go to work is now in the ultra-minority (This indeed was the case with yours truly, during the last few years I commuted into the city, before retiring in 2003!)

Just am curious as to the "whys?" as to the more "casual appearance" of bus drivers these days, not only in New York, but elsewhere.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I still prefer the classic "full uniform" look (a la Ralph Kramden!)......... Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a great photo on page #71 in Guy E. Martin's "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES" (taken in 1971) showing New Look #88, when it was 12 years old (according to the caption)

The caption further states that "...........this was the era when 'Fiddler On The Roof' was a hit at the Broadway Theater, and when drivers wore uniform caps and ties......."

The bus itself was operating on the M-15, photographed on Second Avenue at 72nd St.

So much nostalgia in this photo, taken nearly 50 years ago......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vintage MABSTOA scene from 1971.

The "Tee-Yay" fellow on the right is not wearing a tie, but is still sporting a "traditional" old-style uniform cap........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?838

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, fast-forward several years to 1978 (Hylan & Allendale)

Here the driver is wearing a uniform shirt, bu no tie, and no cap..........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2875

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

The "Tee-Yay" fellow on the right is not wearing a tie, but is still sporting a "traditional" old-style uniform cap........

With proof positive (on the front roll sign) that with that first group of OA New Looks, one of their initial assignments was 132nd Street (among a total of four depots/garages). But I see that this was taken in summer, so in that sense it explains part of why that 'TA' guy was dressed as he was . . . the driver, likewise, was jacketless . . . probably tieless, too.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

With proof positive (on the front roll sign) that with that first group of OA New Looks, one of their initial assignments was 132nd Street (among a total of four depots/garages). But I see that this was taken in summer, so in that sense it explains part of why that 'TA' guy was dressed as he was . . . the driver, likewise, was jacketless . . . probably tieless, too.

W.B.:

Always appreciate the "additional" trivia! Wink

You mentioned summer; that, in itself reminds us that, not all that long ago, an air-conditioned transit bus was the exception rather than the rule.

The drivers, perhaps even more than their passengers, must have indeed rejoiced when all of the fleet became air-conditioned! Very Happy

We take a/c (in any form) for granted these days; I think it is well to remember that, for decades, drivers drove their buses in the heat of summer with only an open window (and perhaps a small fan) to try to at least stir up a breeze during those hot, humid "Noo Yawk" summers.......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a neat "World's Fair" photo that I had not seen previously; judging by the attire of the pedestrians, and the "all windows open" mode of World's Fair-bound Fishbowl #2116, it HAD to have been a hot "Noo Yawk" summer day, in this classic shot from 1965.

The driver, I am sure, was dreaming of the day when he could, perhaps before retirement, be driving an air-conditioned bus.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?260

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

October, 1970.

Washington Plaza.

Nearing the end of her service life, we see Old Look #7015 patiently awaiting the next run.

Note that all the passenger's windows are closed, which would make sense on a chilly October day.

However, it appears the driver wished a bit of fresh air while driving.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1650

traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a neat "World's Fair" photo that I had not seen previously; judging by the attire of the pedestrians, and the "all windows open" mode of World's Fair-bound Fishbowl #2116, it HAD to have been a hot "Noo Yawk" summer day, in this classic shot from 1965.

The driver, I am sure, was dreaming of the day when he could, perhaps before retirement, be driving an air-conditioned bus.......

I sure recognize that scene on Main Street, Flushing....
I used to buy shoes at that Flagg Bros shoe store... Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

traildriver:

I would wager that this scene is vastly different today; I wonder what company ran that orange/red Fishbowl in the left background?

"FLAGG BROTHERS" was a fixture at Journal Square (Jersey City) for decades; it vanished sometime in the 80's, I believe.

Its bold, flag shaped electric sign was already a vintage classic when the store closed; how well I remember that sign, flashing brightly amid the comings and goings of many buses, long, long ago......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

traildriver:

I would wager that this scene is vastly different today; I wonder what company ran that orange/red Fishbowl in the left background?

"FLAGG BROTHERS" was a fixture at Journal Square (Jersey City) for decades; it vanished sometime in the 80's, I believe.

Its bold, flag shaped electric sign was already a vintage classic when the store closed; how well I remember that sign, flashing brightly amid the comings and goings of many buses, long, long ago......

"NYO"

Just a little different....

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7595577,-73.830162,3a,75y,20.39h,96.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWP5Adlm-ps1vx5eIebGlQw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

that didn't work too well, but you can check it yourself....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Being also a lifelong (and diehard!) subway enthusiast, I quickly think of the IRT's #7 FLUSHING line (the line was the first IRT line to use postwar cars, the R-12/14's, which also ushered in double panel-door cars lit by flourescent lighting, back in 1948/1949)

Of course, I also think of the handsome and flashy "Bluebirds" that served the '64/'65 Fair (those new IRT cars, PLUS the AMF monorail, PLUS the GREYHOUND buses really made the Fair for me!) Wink

I must admit, I almost totally forget the busyness of Flushing's main business district, with so many buses coming and going....I sure wish I had memories of THAT action....oh, well...... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
B53RICH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

traildriver:

"NYO"
[i]

Possibly Schenck Transportation who ran the N20/N21 back then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: