BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's going on with The Hound?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
By the time I went to work for Trailways in 1968, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel had been open for several years, and so I never got to ride on one of the Virginia Ferry Commission boats that the buses went on between Cape Charles and Norfolk. Greyhound also had some trips that way.

I did however ride a Greyhound on a summer only trip from New York to Newport RI, on a ferry in 1968, the last summer before the new Newport Pell bridge replaced the ferry from Jamestown...

traildriver:

I still have a clear memory of seeing a GREYHOUND 4104 aboard a Governor's Island Army ferry, back in the early 1960's (seen from the deck of a Staten Island-bound boat; I suspect that this had to have been some sort of charter)

I also read that, prior to the opening of the Holland Tunnel in 1927, some early NJ bus companies operated into Manhattan via the Hudson River ferries; recall, too, that, until the early 1940's, PSNJ operated the busy 125th St. ferry line from Edgewater (originally the 130th ST. ferry) as well as the Bergen Point (Bayonne)-Port Richmond ferry.

The ferryboats all carried the familiar PSNJ insignias on their stacks.

The Bayonne ferry was later operated by SUNRISE FERRIES (using small diesel craft) until the early 1960's; the 125th St. line was operated by ELECTRIC FERRIES until 1950, when the line shut down.

The boats, however, went to the Brooklyn 69th St.-St. George line, which operated until the VZ Bridge opened in late 1964.

Mom and I rode the old 69th St. line many times, back in the day......... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chesapeake Bay auto ferries...........

http://www.esva.net/~rwest/ferries.html
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the original Virginia Ferries, had a very interesting life...from Naval ship to Virginia Ferry to Cape May-Lewes ferry to Cross Sound Ferry...
And she is still in service! Cool

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_LST-510
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Talk about LONGEVITY....obviously BUILT TO LAST! Wink

We quite often forget that buses have often crossed waterways on ferryboats for many decades; as an example, several bus lines used the old NEWBURGH-BEACON ferry, which ceased operations in late 1963, when a new bridge opened to vehicular traffic.

The classic lines of the ancient coal-burning ferries contrasted sharply with the modern buses and tail-finned autos that they carried in their final years.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this interesting page........ Wink

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/transportation/ferries.html

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Creek-Cape_Charles_Ferry
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine how many buses must have traveled along this unique crossing, over the past-half-century.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay_Bridge-Tunnel
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting page on the Cape May-Lewes ferries.........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_May_Lewes_Ferry
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO-
Great stuff! Love it!

When I worked for Safeway Trails in the late sixties, during the height of the Vietnam War, we ran as many as 19 sections on one schedule on a Sunday night, that went over the Bridge-Tunnel.
It was basically the 10:30 PM trip to Norfolk and south to Wilmington, NC.
Civilians loaded out of gate 19, and military loaded upstairs on borrowed gate 51. We loaded solid buses to the NOB, NAS, D&S Piers, Oceana, and Damneck, for the sailor's. They came up to New York on Friday night. The Armed Forces Police had a booth in the port, that was manned at those times

And Greyhound got a good chunk of the business, as well. They loaded civilians at gate 40W, and sailor's at borrowed gate 46 'on the wall'....

Carolina got the bulk of the business, because of their extensive operation on the Eastern Shore, as well as their direct routes south out of Norfolk.

Greyhound carried more passengers via the 'overland route', via Washington, and Richmond or Colonial Beach to Norfolk.

I drove my car back from Miami Beach in the seventies over the "Ocean Highway", including the ferry from Lewes to Cape May. I cannot recall which boat, but it was one of the larger type like the SS Pocahontas. While it was painted for the Delaware River and Bay Authority, it still carried the original builder's plate for the Virginia Ferry Commission.

Another ferry I drove my car over was also back in the seventies on the C&O run across Lake Michigan...can't remember if it was the SS Gopher or SS Badger...

Also drove across the Burlington-Port Kent ferry in the sixties.

And the Marine Atlantic "Joseph and Clara Smallwood" round trip between North Sydney, NS and Port Aux Basque, NL.

Did the Bay Ridge 69th Street - Staten Island several times in the fifties.

Most recent auto ferry rides with my car, was the North and the South Ferries to/from Shelter Island, LI.

Besides the Jamestown-Newport Ferry, the other time I rode a bus over a ferry was the BC ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay (Vancouver to Victoria), on a Pacific Stage Lines trip.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

GREAT STUFF.....thanks for sharing some great info and personal memories! Very Happy

Hard to believe that, today, the only vehicular ferry in New York harbor are is the Governor's Island crossing; the Staten Island Ferry, you will recall, has not carried any vehicles since 9/11.

At that, only the 1965-vintage "KENNEDY" boat is still able to carry vehicles; all boats since the BARBERI and the NEWHOUSE have been of passenger-only design.

When I was a kid, there were still the boats of the ERIE-LACKAWANNA and the CNJ carrying rail commuters and vehicles across the Hudson.

The SI Ferry, of course, then still carried heavy vehicular loads, as did the old Brooklyn 69th St. line, which often operated all seven boats during peak periods.

Two of the boats, "THE TIDES" and "THE NARROWS" were on charter to the CNJ between 1965 and 1967, operating between the rail terminal in Jersey City and Liberty Street.

After the CNJ shut down ferry operations, both boats went to the US COAST GUARD; "THE NARROWS" was stripped of parts to keep "THE TIDES" running, and the former ran until the 90's between Whitehall Street and Governor's Island.

SUNRISE FERRIES operated (until late 1963) the former SIRT crossing from Tottenville to Perth Amboy; they also operated the Bayonne-Port Richmond ferry (this had been a PSNJ operation, many years earlier)

These last two crossings operated small open-deck diesels, that carried about 10 vehicles, along with foot passengers.

Going back further in my memory, I do recall two ACADEMY Old Look suburbans (I still remember the buses having NY plates) aboard a Brooklyn-bound 69th St. boat that Mom and I were aboard (this would have been about 1963; the buses were obviously on a charter run)

It would have been interesting to know what bus companies utilized the old Newburgh-Beacon ferry (until 1963)...........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO-

Since we're talkin' ferries...
I just happened to take my 'vehicle' ( a 1989 Schwinn World Sport Very Happy ) aboard the John F Kennedy from Whitehall to St. George, and return two weeks ago.

What a wonderful trip, and the price was right. Wink

What was really neat, was they boarded us before the pedestrian's, using the vehicle ramp. Got to get the best viewing spot, that way. And the same on the return...they let me turn right around, on the vehicle ramp, and not have to go back thru the terminal, like the pedestrian's do.

What was really nostalgic, was when we slipped away, and those EMD 12-567's spooled up to cruising speed....I could close my eyes and imagine it was an E-9, with that unmistakable EMD 2-stroke 'music'.
And speaking of music....
I played this while underway... Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv-0mmVnxPA
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NYO-

Since we're talkin' ferries...
I just happened to take my 'vehicle' ( a 1989 Schwinn World Sport Very Happy ) aboard the John F Kennedy from Whitehall to St. George, and return two weeks ago.

What a wonderful trip, and the price was right. Wink

What was really neat, was they boarded us before the pedestrian's, using the vehicle ramp. Got to get the best viewing spot, that way. And the same on the return...they let me turn right around, on the vehicle ramp, and not have to go back thru the terminal, like the pedestrian's do.

What was really nostalgic, was when we slipped away, and those EMD 12-567's spooled up to cruising speed....I could close my eyes and imagine it was an E-9, with that unmistakable EMD 2-stroke 'music'.
And speaking of music....
I played this while underway... Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv-0mmVnxPA

traildriver:

I have an audio tape that I made back around 1978, capturing the distinctive sounds of the "KENNEDY" in full cry, before docking at St. George.

The haunting whining of those screamin' diesels sounded so much like the engines on the E-L ferry "LACKAWANNA"; she had been built in the 1890's for the DL&W, and then modernized and dieselized in 1949.

She was the only Hudson River railroad ferry to be so converted; her boilers were retained and used as fuel tanks.

Her high pitched engines earned her the moniker "Whining Willie", bestowed upon her by crew and commuters!

The "LACKAWANNA", along with the steam-powered "ELMIRA" were the last two E-L ferries in service when the Barclay St. line was shut down in November of 1967. (the other boats, "BINGHAMTON", "POCONO", and "SCRANTON" had all been retired during the summer and early fall, and sat idle at the Hoboken terminal, awaiting final disposition)

I still listen to that old tape today, and, man, oh man, what great memories those sounds bring back, of both the "JFK" and the "LACKAWANNA"....... Very Happy

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:33 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Further on the "KENNEDY" and her sisters.......

In the Theodore W. Scull book, "THE STATEN ISLAND FERRY", one chapter, "BELOW DECKS-IN THE ENGINE ROOM OF A DIESEL FERRY", tells you everything you ever wanted to know how the "KENNEDY" boats operated, but were afraid to ask! Wink

The men below decks wore/wear earmuffs/mufflers to at least try to muffle the sounds of the screaming diesel engines!

The "JFK" even graces the cover of this excellent softcover; it was published in 1982, when the "BARBERI" and the "NEWHOUSE" were still virtually new craft.....hard to believe these big boats are now getting near their 40th year of service!Shocked

Man, where have all those years gone...........?? Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

*Mom bought me a postcard at the newsstand at the Whitehall St. terminal in 1965, showing the "JFK" docking at St. George; today, I have it framed and up on my wall, reminding me of a long-ago era.......
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO--

Funny you should be mentioning Ted Scull....I will see him on Friday, the 21st, at my monthly World Ship Society meeting....
If you can, I would be very glad to welcome you to attend and get to hear him do this lecture in person. I have had the pleasure of reading many of his books on railways and ships, and hearing his lecture's at these meetings, as well as aboard the now retired QE2. He is a noted transportation author, and lecturer.

It would give us the opportunity to meet in person, and discuss all manner of buses, boats, and trains.... Cool

http://www.worldshipny.com/UpcomingPONY.shtml
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NYO--

Funny you should be mentioning Ted Scull....I will see him on Friday, the 21st, at my monthly World Ship Society meeting....
If you can, I would be very glad to welcome you to attend and get to hear him do this lecture in person. I have had the pleasure of reading many of his books on railways and ships, and hearing his lecture's at these meetings, as well as aboard the now retired QE2. He is a noted transportation author, and lecturer.

It would give us the opportunity to meet in person, and discuss all manner of buses, boats, and trains.... Cool

http://www.worldshipny.com/UpcomingPONY.shtml

traildriver:

I do indeed THANK YOU for the kind invitation; at this time, however, it is not convenient for me to travel at this time Sad

HOWEVER, you could send my best regards to Mr. Scull, and tell him that I have read (and re-read!) his "STATEN ISLAND FERRY" book far too many times to count! (I purchased my copy at WALDEN's on Broadway (near Wall St.) well over 30 years ago!)

Speaking of the Staten Island Ferry, back in the day, the St. George terminal approaches were swell for watching all the buses coming and going; I am talking of the days when only Old Looks and MACKS called at the terminal's busy platforms (I still remember Mom and I riding a MACK to South Beach several times in the early 1960's; Mom remembered riding the SIRT there with her family in the late 20's/early 30's!)

Getting back to ferries, the SIRT's old Tottenville-Perth Amboy crossing had the distinction for operating the last sidewheel walking beam ferries in the harbor; these were the "PERTH AMBOY" and "CHARLES GALLOWAY".

In 1948, as I had mentioned previously, SUNRISE FERRIES took over the line (which ran until October, 1963) and the old sidewheelers were retired and sold for scrap. Sad

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recalling the late, great Hudson River DayLiner, "ALEXANDER HAMILITON"; here is a selection of nostalgic photos taken back in 1966.....be sure to check out all the buses (Fishbowls and school buses) waiting at the West Point landing! Wink

Ahhhh, to go back in time, if only for a week or two....... Rolling Eyes

http://www.worldshipny.com/AHessay.shtml

Truly tragic that the very last of the great DAY LINE sidewheelers met such a sad end in the late 70's....... Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 23 of 28

Jump to: