BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's going on with The Hound?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver/all:

One of the rarest tinplate GREYHOUND buses in my collection is one that replicates the GX-2; this large toy is so well detailed, it almost qualifies as a scale model! Shocked Wink

I purchased it off eBay several years ago, and, to date, I have yet to see another one for sale.

Though TRAILWAYS buses were popular tin toys back in the day, GREYHOUND, without a doubt, overwhelmingly was the most duplicated of the two.

The variety of vintage toy GREYHOUND buses (tin, diecast, plastic, etc.) is virtually limitless! Shocked

I also have a small tin wind-up GREYHOUND bus (oddly in yellow and grey!) that clearly was inspired by the MCI Couriers; the high curved rear windows are a dead giveaway!

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some info on the GX-2......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GX-2
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on the GX-2:

This unique bus was later sold and purchased by the "BLUE RIDGE QUARTET" as a tour bus.

The bus was even featured on an album cover "PASSIN' THRU".

Sadly, this one-of-a-kind bus was later scrapped; what a STUNNING museum bus this would have made today, had it been saved......oh, well, at least there are pictures (and toys!)........ Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this interesting page......

http://www.theoldmotor.com/?p=142146

(courtesy: theoldmotor)
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

Wow, excellent!
I really enjoyed those two video's!

I guess it's a good thing GX-1's "proud papa" O S Caesar didn't live to see the fate of his one time great company.... Sad
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

Wow, excellent!
I really enjoyed those two video's!

I guess it's a good thing GX-1's "proud papa" O S Caesar didn't live to see the fate of his one time great company.... Sad

traildriver....you are most welcome....glad you enjoyed! Wink

I truly believe that the Exalted High Rulers that once headed GREYHOUND back in its glorious heyday, would, by turn, be ranting, raving, steaming....and yes.....even be in tears if they could see what has become of their once proud enterprise.

IMHO, the 47 day GREYHOUND strike of 1983 set the stage for The Hound's gradual but steady downfall; though the company had clearly been experiencing hard times prior to this, I believe that, post-1983 strike, that GREYHOUND had clearly lapsed into a company that was more and more in decline........truthfully, I am surprised that the company has lasted this long....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another interesting (and extensive!) page I came across earlier........ Wink

http://bluehoundsandredhounds.info/barscen.html

(courtesy: bluehoundsandredhounds)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among the very last of the GM buses purchased by GREYHOUND in the later 60's were the distinctive "Buffalos"; I have always felt that there was at least some SCENICRUISER-inspired design in these now-classic buses!

The one pictured here was owned by PSNJ/TNJ.

Here again, we see a bus type that once quite commonplace, and now has vanished down the Echoing Corridors of History.

To this day, I call these buses "Baby Scenicruisers" and/or "Scenicruiser Jr.s"....... Wink

*EXTRA BONUS: Note the GREYHOUND MC-6 on the far left, just barely squeezing into the picture!

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1497

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rugged, hulking MC-6....."THE RODNEY DANGERFIELD OF THE GREYHOUND FLEET"; here is a classic highway coach that all but the most astute, die-hard 'Hound enthusiasts have seem to forgotten.

Indeed, a "Big Bruiser That Was Ahead Of Its Time".........it was, in fact, at the time it first entered service, the largest (non-articulated) and the most powerful highway coach in operation in the country.

Toy replicas of this classic bus are not too common these days; the plastic ones are a tad easier to find than the tinplate versions, which are quite realistic and detailed. I have examples of both in my collection today.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/bus-stop-classics/bus-stop-classics-mci-6-supercrusier-a-big-bruiser-ahead-of-its-time/

(courtesy: curbsideclassics)
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among the very last of the GM buses purchased by GREYHOUND in the later 60's were the distinctive "Buffalos"; I have always felt that there was at least some SCENICRUISER-inspired design in these now-classic buses!

The one pictured here was owned by PSNJ/TNJ.

Here again, we see a bus type that once quite commonplace, and now has vanished down the Echoing Corridors of History.

To this day, I call these buses "Baby Scenicruisers" and/or "Scenicruiser Jr.s"....... Wink

*EXTRA BONUS: Note the GREYHOUND MC-6 on the far left, just barely squeezing into the picture!

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1497

I remember those 'Bison' (wouldn't that be a plural to 'Buffalo'?) well, having been on some of them. Even there, the rear windows veered between 3- and 4-piece, though not to the extent as their 'T' and 'S' class buses.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Speaking of "Bison"....... Wink

The earliest of the model (PD-4107) was introduced in 1966, and its basic styling was used on all remaining intercity buses built by GM.

The later PD-4903 was the first 40-foot GM coach available to non-GREYHOUND operators (GREYHOUND, of course, had their own exclusive 40-footer, the SCENICRUISER)

The next version, the PD-4905, generated only 331 sales.

Then the P8M-4905A was introduced, with an optional fully-retractable third axle; 2,027 were sold during the seven years of production.

GM discontinued production of intercity buses in 1980, having produced only an average of 230 buses annually since 1975.

GREYHOUND began buying their buses from their subsidiary, Motor Coach Industries, in the mid-1960's, thus saying "farewell" to GM..

The MCI's were quite similar is style and design to the rugged and handsome PREVOST coaches of that era.....

"NYO"

(data courtesy: "THE BUS WORLD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BUSES (Ed Stauss)

Personal note: Back in the early/mid 80's, I can remember commuting into the PABT (early NJT era) on "Bison" many times; I think these coaches were ex-ORANGE & BLACK and INTER CITY.

MANHATTAN LINES, I believe, also had them; also DE CAMP.

I always enjoyed riding "Bison"; in fact, I always pretended I was aboard a SCENICRUISER......

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:25 am; edited 5 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd include these early 80's "cameos".....ahhhh, the great variety that still abounded, back in the day...... Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3506

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3409

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3412

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3429

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1715

traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rugged, hulking MC-6....."THE RODNEY DANGERFIELD OF THE GREYHOUND FLEET"; here is a classic highway coach that all but the most astute, die-hard 'Hound enthusiasts have seem to forgotten.

Indeed, a "Big Bruiser That Was Ahead Of Its Time".........it was, in fact, at the time it first entered service, the largest (non-articulated) and the most powerful highway coach in operation in the country.

Toy replicas of this classic bus are not too common these days; the plastic ones are a tad easier to find than the tinplate versions, which are quite realistic and detailed. I have examples of both in my collection today.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/bus-stop-classics/bus-stop-classics-mci-6-supercrusier-a-big-bruiser-ahead-of-its-time/

(courtesy: curbsideclassics)

That was an interesting link...I added a comment at the end of it.
I did not mention though, that the caption below the Scenicruiser was slightly erroneous....stating that Greyhound purchased MCI to be their future sole source provider, because they were dissatisfied with the Scenicruiser....we know that the main reason was the government's anti-trust decree vs. GM and Greyhound.

Incidentally, if you look carefully at the rear end of that Scenicruiser, you can see that it was one of those converted into a "combo" coach, with the roll up cargo door set into the last window area.... the "zero" number prefix is another indication.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I noticed that caption error myself; of course, we both know the "true story"here........

Just between us, however, I don't think the "Scenicruiser's Proud Papas" would have relished the idea of their sleek, modernistic vehicle being used as a passenger/cargo carrier, at some point in the future........... Confused Sad

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combo cars.....

Beginning in 1967, GREYHOUND converted nearly 100 SCEICRUISERS into passenger/cargo carriers; even before this, GREYHOUND had carried newspapers as well as packages, in the days before UPS and Fed-Ex.

Verying numbers of seats were removed from the upper levels of the buses; with some buses, all the upper level seats were removed, and the area converted to carry cargo.

Also worth mentioning, in the mid-70's, about 100 SCENICRUISERS had another row of seats added to the upper level, increasing their capacity from 43 to 47; these crowded buses were put into service as commuter shuttles.

These coaches ran schedules for TRAVIS AIR FORCE BASE, San Francisco Airport, as well as the San Diego area, also these buses served some East Coast commuter hubs.

All SCENICRUISERS were either OOS or sold by 1978; with the retirement of these iconic buses, the grandest era in highway coach travel had ended.......

"NYO"

(info source: "GREYHOUND SCENICRUISER" (McNally/Rayman)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 3 of 28

Jump to: