BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's going on with The Hound?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an excellent page on AEROCOACh; many rare photos and related items of interest.

NO WONDER "bus watching" was so fascinating, back in the day; some really GORGEOUS buses, here! Wink

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/a/aerocoach/aerocoach.htm

(courtesy: Coachbuilt)
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even well into the GM era, some Greyhound properties bought from other maker's...SEG and FGL I believe bought some ACF-Brill IC-41's.

SEG outfitted some of them for its premium 'Limited' trips from Cincinnati to Florida...some even having a hostess at one time. SEG and FGL outfitted some PD-4104's for what they called "Golden Greyhound Service"...the coaches were used on a Limited run, with hostess service, and featured extremely comfortable two and one seating. Rest rooms, galley, extra fare, of course, and reservations required. Special Gold stripe paint scheme. I may have one of their promotional brochures buried in my 'archives'...

Why they did not use Scenicruiser's for that service, I don't know. SEG was always one of the most 'progressive' of the Greyhound companies, always willing to try new innovations. Probably why they installed those Motorola radio's we discussed earlier....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

".........OHIO GREYHOUND LINES took delivery of 122 ACF-BRILL IC-41 coaches in January, 1947. Although most GREYHOUND companies purchased General Motors buses, a number had ACF-BRILL coaches......"

".......SOUTHEASTERN GREYHOUND LINE's fleet had almost all ACF and ACF-BRILL coaches from 1937 through 1952; in June 1935, SOUTHEAST GREYHOUND LINES of Lexington, Kentucky, purchased five ACF Model H-9-P buses......"

".....this was the companies first ACF order; these buses were the first of many that SGL bought from ACF between 1936 and 1948....."

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "FLXIBLE INTERCITY COACHES" (William A. Luke"):

"........GREYHOUND companies were among the best customers for FLXIBLE intercity coaches. DIXIE GREYHOUND LINES of Memphis purchased two Clippers in 1945; TECHE GREYHOUND LINES of New Orleans had aquired the greatest number of FLXIBLE coaches of all GREYHOUND companies, a total of 53 in all....."

"...........In all, there were 278 FLXIBLE coaches operated by all companies carrying the GREYHOUND name....."

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow, in this most interesting GREYHOUND discussion, we have forgotten to mention perhaps the least-discussed 'Hound of all time, the regal "GOLDEN CHARIOT".

Basically, this was, for all practicle purposes, a three-axle 4104.

One of the rarest vintage toy GREYHOUND buses in my collection is one that was clearly patterned after this magnificent bus; to my knowledge, this toy was the only one that was patterned after the "CHARIOT".

Let us tip our hats, at least briefly, to this oft-forgotten 'Hound.

After its time with GREYHOUND, it operated for some years with AROC COACHES, of Chatham, NJ.

No one seems to know the ultimate disposition of this one-of-kind bus, but, most likely, it was scrapped many years back.......what a stunning museum bus this fine machine would have been today.......

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/bus-stop-classic/bus-stop-classic-1954-gm-4901-the-golden-chariot/
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4901 IIRC from one of your earlier links, is still alive somewhere...
Imagine what sitting in that driver's seat was like...very high up. And that coach, since it was high level the entire length, was larger in cubic volume, than the 4501. I am really surprised it did not go into production. If only they could have developed the DD 8v-71 earlier to power it, rather than the disastrous twin 4-71's, I am sure it would have....
But that then beg's the question, why not a version in 1961, when the 8-71 did come out, and power the 4106?
A 40 foot, hi-level 4106 styled coach would have been a hit, for sure...
The 40 foot 'buffalo' did not come out until 1968.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Imagine what sitting in that driver's seat was like...very high up. And that coach, since it was high level the entire length, was larger in cubic volume, than the 4501. I am really surprised it did not go into production. If only they could have developed the DD 8v-71 earlier to power it, rather than the disastrous twin 4-71's, I am sure it would have....
But that then beg's the question, why not a version in 1961, when the 8-71 did come out, and power the 4106?

traildriver:

Good points, all.

When one comes to think about it, the "Golden Chariot" was not all that "exotic", so to speak; with three axles, it was basically a single level SCENICRUISER.

I have long believed that this bus really could have become a "fleet standard" with GREYHOUND (also CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS)

I also believe that this unique bus had more potential at the time than was realized; I would have loved to have had a chance just to sit behind the wheel of this majestic coach, and "pretend" to be a 'Hound driver....... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As GREYHOUND later absorbed TRAILWAYS, and did, in fact, operate EAGLES, I feel that this detailed page should be of interest......

http://www.eaglesinternational.net/eagle-history

(courtesy: eagles international)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also........

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/e/eagle_int/eagle_int.htm

(courtesy: Coachbuilt)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another oft-forgotten classic that could still turn heads today.

Just imagine if GREYHOUND operated a SCENICRUISER version of this articulated behemoth....(!!) Shocked Shocked

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/bus-stop-classic/bus-stop-classic-1958-kassbohrer-setra-continental-trailways-super-golden-eagle-strike-two-for-the-articulated-highway-bus/

*Note: there are also many rare photos of European articulateds as well on this page........ Wink
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

IIRC, the last tine I heard, the Golden Chariot was owned by Wilson Bus Lines of Templeton, MA
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
traildriver wrote:

IIRC, the last tine I heard, the Golden Chariot was owned by Wilson Bus Lines of Templeton, MA

Hart Bus:

Great news indeed that this rare bus has not met the dreaded cutting torch; I wonder why it never would up at the bus museum up in Hershey?

Without a doubt, a bus this rare does deserve to be "showcased".

Again, thanks for the good news...... Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remembering SANTA FE TRAILWAYS "Victory Liner", easily the most unusual (PLYWOOD!) bus ever to hit the highways!

Talk about a "one-of-a-kind" bus!

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2010/03/30/take-the-plywood-bus-help-the-boys-overseas/

(courtesy: hemmings)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"FROM BRUGGE TO BROWNSVILLE"; here are some wonderfully nostalgic EAGLE photos on this interesting page, including some of the "Eagles" that later "ran with the Hounds"........ Wink

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/bus-stop-classic/bus-stop-classic-eagle-coaches-from-brugge-to-brownsville/
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Here's another oft-forgotten classic that could still turn heads today.

Just imagine if GREYHOUND operated a SCENICRUISER version of this articulated behemoth....(!!) Shocked Shocked

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/bus-stop-classic/bus-stop-classic-1958-kassbohrer-setra-continental-trailways-super-golden-eagle-strike-two-for-the-articulated-highway-bus/

*Note: there are also many rare photos of European articulateds as well on this page........ Wink

Another good link, NYO, thanks!
You notice the "Galenke's" I mentioned earlier in the article? Good shot of them.

Wilson Bus Lines has always seemed to purchase 'oddball' equipment...
Besides the Super Golden Eagle, the Golden Chariot, etc., they were one of the first non-Trailways companies to buy new Eagles...and they bought some of the first Scenicruiser's that Greyhound retired.
Got to be a bus fan owning that company..... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 8 of 28

Jump to: