BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM's dominance in New York

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: GM's dominance in New York Reply with quote

All:

I have always wondered why GM buses were "THE bus" in New York, starting in the early postwar years.

Though the BoT/NYCTA did also operate MACKS, it was still clear that GM buses were the dominant coaches in the City.

WHITES were indeed in the ultra-minority; BRILLS were virtually non-existent in the New York area (except those operated by suburban NJ companies that served the PABT)

TWIN COACHES, too, were quite in the minority when they operated in Gotham.

Many cities rostered several makes (and models), but, clearly, GM was the dominant bus in most areas, including New York

It DOES go without, however, saying that GM coaches were solid, reliable, and rugged......GM's durability has more than proven its worth, through the decades.

Appreciate any input....thanks in advance...... Wink

"NYO"
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your second to the last line says it all!

When you're king of the hill, you have a definite future. For most bus manufacturers of the late '40's and '50's, the handwriting was already on the wall.

Look what happened when new manufacturers, especially those with oversea influence began to chip away GM's dominance. Flxible gave GM a run for their money, but Flexible too slowly withered away thanks to competition from Western Flyer, Orion and especially Gillig.

Frankie
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
Your second to the last line says it all!

When you're king of the hill, you have a definite future. For most bus manufacturers of the late '40's and '50's, the handwriting was already on the wall.

Look what happened when new manufacturers, especially those with oversea influence began to chip away GM's dominance. Flxible gave GM a run for their money, but Flexible too slowly withered away thanks to competition from Western Flyer, Orion and especially Gillig.

Frankie

Agreed 100%.

With GM's dominating so many companies, it was indeed much easier to obtain spare parts as the buses got older; by the time the last WHITES, MACKS, and BRILLS were running out their last revenue miles (in whatever city), spare parts were becoming harder (and many times, impossible) to obtain.

IMHO, I think that this was one reason why GM's New Looks lasted as long as they did in service; not only were the buses themselves built through the 1970's, but also, spare retired buses could easily be purchased to supply parts to a given company's revenue coaches.

I would guess, though, by the later 1990's, that New Look parts were becoming increasingly hard to obtain; the last New look in my general area was B-118 (an ex-Cleveland bus, which replaced an older New Look and inherited its number)) that was being operated on what had been the old NHBL's "#1 LOCAL", a route I knew since my long-ago childhood days (Journal Square-Nungessers).

I last rode this bus in 1997; it was also the last GM New Look I can recall running on the "Boulevard"....or anywhere else in my area.

Without a doubt, GM DID indeed build a solid, rugged, dependable, and now-iconic transit coach........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question, here:

Did the MTA ever express any interest in the AM GENERAL? (perhaps a demo?)

I know that they once ran in over 40 cities; today, the AM GENERAL, like the GM's, are now history

(I do know that STEINWAY operated 10 AM GENERALS)

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steinway AM GENERALS.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1407

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?406

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?408

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end of a Steinway AM General

AMG 410.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  233.73 KB
 Viewed:  11734 Time(s)

AMG 410.jpg

frankie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Steinway AM GENERALS.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1407

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?406

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?408

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

Looks like you posted the wrong links!

Frankie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: