BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Look transmissions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: New Look transmissions Reply with quote

All:

Just wondering about the transmissions on NYCTA/MTA New Looks; were all New Looks equipped with hydraulic (automatic) transmissions, or were some manual? (I've long associated manual transmissions with suburban model buses)

Also, were certain New Look series better suited on runs that had steeper grades than others?

Also, series/buses better suited on the longer express runs?

Appreciate your input....thanks in advance......

"NYO"
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode NYC Transits and PBL's from my birth in 1950 until I moved to the 'burbs in 1976, I never saw a manual transmission on any New Look or Old Look that I rode on.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
I rode NYC Transits and PBL's from my birth in 1950 until I moved to the 'burbs in 1976, I never saw a manual transmission on any New Look or Old Look that I rode on.

Going by memory, I think I can recall some PSNJ/TNJ and ORANGE & BLACK Old/New Looks (suburban models only) that had manual transmissions, but, again, in all honesty, I cannot be 100% sure on this.........

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1959-67 GM 'New Looks' ordered for the TA, Fifth Avenue Coach/Surface Transit and MaBSTOA went by the 'TDH-' prefix, while 1968-73 buses ordered for TA and MaBSTOA by MTA had a 'T6H-' prefix. 'H' signified 'Hydraulic'. There's your answer. If they were manual, their prefices would've been TDM- or T6M-.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: