BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early route of Q53 to Rockaway

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Early route of Q53 to Rockaway Reply with quote

Friends from overseas rented an apartment near the Grand Avenue Newtown station for a month. They liked trips to Rockaway on the Q53 for the beach, as people have done for decades. I presume that Triboro Coach got that franchise sometime in the 1930's. Am I right? Did it originate at 61st & Roosevelt, or is that a new addition to the route? In early years, was it a zoned route? A cheap fare would have provided strong competition to the LIRR Rockaway service before the trestle burned.
Many thanks.
Joe
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Early route of Q53 to Rockaway Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Friends from overseas rented an apartment near the Grand Avenue Newtown station for a month. They liked trips to Rockaway on the Q53 for the beach, as people have done for decades. I presume that Triboro Coach got that franchise sometime in the 1930's. Am I right? Did it originate at 61st & Roosevelt, or is that a new addition to the route? In early years, was it a zoned route? A cheap fare would have provided strong competition to the LIRR Rockaway service before the trestle burned.
Many thanks.
Joe

The Long Island Star-Journal reported on an emergency service that began soon after the LIRR fire in 1950 and printed Triboro's ads promoting the express route from 1951 on. It always started in Woodside and was premium fare, not zoned (I remember 50 cents but don't recall when that was). The only stops between Woodside and Broad Channel were 75 St & Broadway, Queens Blvd & Broadway/Grand Ave and 63 Drive & Queens Blvd. According to the Motor Coach Age article on Triboro, the franchise for what was by then the Q53 was granted in February 1961.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's much later than I expected. So the Cross Bay route was not one of the early Triboro Coach lines, but the 30th Avenue route was. In the mid and later 1940's, having visited relatives on 44th Street after their supper time, we would check on 30th Avenue (Grand Avenue) to see whether a westbound bus was coming. Most times, we would walk thirteen short blocks to the IRT/BMT station, choose an Interborough train, and head home to northern Manhattan for a nickle.
---
I now see a history of Triboro Coach. on Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboro_Coach

Many thanks, X-Astorian, for your revelation of the later introduction of service to Rockaway.
Joe
Robert Carroll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: q53 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this is the longest route? Compared to the Q44,Q60,Q112,113,the old JBC "B" route. this.Bob
Retired TCC Inspector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Q53. When I began with Triboro Coach in 1971, the fare was 55 cents one way, and 85 cents round trip. Tickets were issued at the time of payment, and collected at 63rd Dr and Queens Blvd....only the round trippers keeping their stubs for use on the return trip. As far as which lines were the longest, the average 8 hour run on the Q53 was 120 miles...which was 4 round trips. The 30th Ave bus, Q18, was actually a joining of 2 lines. The original Q18 went from Astoria to Woodside, 61st St and Woodside Ave. There was another line starting at that point, I believe it was the Q44x, which went from there to Maspeth, 69th and Grand Ave...however, that was before my time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retired TCC Inspector wrote:
Re: Q53. When I began with Triboro Coach in 1971, the fare was 55 cents one way, and 85 cents round trip. Tickets were issued at the time of payment, and collected at 63rd Dr and Queens Blvd....only the round trippers keeping their stubs for use on the return trip. As far as which lines were the longest, the average 8 hour run on the Q53 was 120 miles...which was 4 round trips. The 30th Ave bus, Q18, was actually a joining of 2 lines. The original Q18 went from Astoria to Woodside, 61st St and Woodside Ave. There was another line starting at that point, I believe it was the Q44x, which went from there to Maspeth, 69th and Grand Ave...however, that was before my time.

The Woodside-Maspeth segment of the current Q18 was the Q24. The routes were combined in 1960 probably at the same time as the "new" Q38 which included the previous Q38 - Middles Village-Corona (via Penelope Ave, 63rd Drive) and Q50 - Ridgewood-Rego Park (via Eliot Ave).
Retired TCC Inspector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re:Q53. As I said..that was before my time. However, I do remember that the destination signs on the few remaining Old Looks that Triboro still had at that time, had a line in that area ending in "X". I don't recall exactly where it was...we're talking 46 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retired TCC Inspector wrote:
Re:Q53. As I said..that was before my time. However, I do remember that the destination signs on the few remaining Old Looks that Triboro still had at that time, had a line in that area ending in "X". I don't recall exactly where it was...we're talking 46 years ago.

Triboro used X to designate route extensions. The Q33X was used for buses that went to the airport. Q45X ran from Juniper Valley via Eliot Ave to the Woodhaven Blvd IND station. In 1952 it was renamed the Q50 which eight years later became part of the Q38. All of this comes from the MCA Triboro issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: